Licking Of The Paws/ Very Red

Guest greytmomof4

Guest greytmomof4

My male grey has been dealing with licking his back paws for the last week or so. They're very red and now has a few tiny open sores. My vet could not see him, so a week ago she put him on an antibiotic. I thought they were clearing up some and yesterday and today he is really bothered by them, and now it is all four paws that are very red. Nothing has changed in his diet and no new chemicals being used in or outside the house. I have been washing his paws and patting them dry. I don't know what else to do for him until I can get him to the vet. He has never had a problem like this before.

Any feed back is greytly appreciated!!!

Lori

Loca used to lick her paws like that every year, always the same time of year. We decided it was due to seasonal allergies. She responded very well to benedryl.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Devon got this for the first time last year. It is an allergy - I wish I knew what the allergen is! We soak his feet in Dermazole twice a day - but it is no miracle cure. I tried Benadryl last year, to little effect. Next year, Doc says that I need to begin putting boots on him from the beginning of September until the first snowfall. It would hurt too much to begin using them now - his feet are raw.

Guest freightsmom

Freightliner has the same thing, licking until he bleeds. His vet dermatologist recently recommended Zyrtec for him and so far I have to say it has cut down on but not eliminated the licking. At least once a day, he just can not stop himself from licking so I put his muzzle on him. Kills me to do it but at least it keeps him from making more wounds and he is comfortable with it on, even goes to sleep with it on.

We lived in Florida and never had any problems, moved to Virginia and Freightliner has horrible allergies and Aimee is now on her second UTI in 4 months...good grief :dunno

Guest Swifthounds

Benadryl might help.

If it's a contact allergy, wiping the paws might help.

Also, sometimes dogs lick feet/joints to sooth soreness or arthritis. You might want to try joint supplements.

I would try adding fish oil to the diet if he's not already getting it. It helps with skin, coat, and inflammation generally.

For much of the country, ragweed is the current offender. The northeast U.S. has recently cleared up some. Here in the Atlanta-area, we're in medium-high territory for the 4th or 5th consecutive week. (Well, sometimes it's been higher than "medium-high". The current readings actually are an improvement over previous weeks.)

If you're in the U.S., go to the map here. Enter your zip code. The result will be a four-day forecast for your area. Below the forecast is a list of the main pollens in your area. Once you know what the big pollen is, you know what to watch for in future years. Ragweed--the biggie right now--usually starts up in September. This year, it got a head start and revved up in August.

Once you know what triggers problems with your dogs, you know what pollens to watch out for. When their trigger-pollens are rampant each year, you can start restricting their time outside, wiping down their feet when they come inside, etc.

I've learned that "seasonal allergies" means I'm allergic to Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

For much of the country, ragweed is the current offender. The northeast U.S. has recently cleared up some. Here in the Atlanta-area, we're in medium-high territory for the 4th or 5th consecutive week. (Well, sometimes it's been higher than "medium-high". The current readings actually are an improvement over previous weeks.)

If you're in the U.S., go to the map here. Enter your zip code. The result will be a four-day forecast for your area. Below the forecast is a list of the main pollens in your area. Once you know what the big pollen is, you know what to watch for in future years. Ragweed--the biggie right now--usually starts up in September. This year, it got a head start and revved up in August.

Once you know what triggers problems with your dogs, you know what pollens to watch out for. When their trigger-pollens are rampant each year, you can start restricting their time outside, wiping down their feet when they come inside, etc.

I've learned that "seasonal allergies" means I'm allergic to Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter.

Thank you!!! You have provided so much wonderful info!

I go through this with Wayne. It's difficult sometimes to figure out if it's seasonal allergies, contact allergies, food allergies or sometimes just a habit.

As for using Benadryl, check with your vet on the dose because so many times we under dose it and then think it's not working.

Good luck

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

years ago when my chow started that,,, the vet recommed we change dog food,,, no beef,,,, it worked,,,,, that was when I learned about high quality keeble :)

I don't want to steal the thread - but I am fascinated by allergies now that I am battling them. My Copper had food allergies - our vet took a bit of his blood and ran all these tests... In return, we got a booklet telling what he was allergic to and how allergic he was to each thing. Poor baby was allergic to beef, eggs, peas and about 12 more common things - but with Copper the symptoms were digestive, runny stool. Last year when Devon had this same problem and I switched off of Costco food to ToTW (about November 1), everything cleared up!! Ever since then I have been all holier than thou about my kibble... now it's fall again, Devon's feet are red and raw again, and I have to eat my words about it being the kibble... <humble sigh> And so - I am wondering has anyone actually had a vet tell them that dermatological symptoms on the feet were related to kibble, rather than something in the grass?

And so - I am wondering has anyone actually had a vet tell them that dermatological symptoms on the feet were related to kibble, rather than something in the grass?

Yes, I have. Went to a vegetarian grain free and the problem was solved.

Wayne has food allergies and seasonal allergies, that's when it can really get tricky.

The desert was great for him, here, not so much

Edited by CaliforniaGreys

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Just be careful when evaluating possible allergies. Consider whether anything has changed in your home environment -- food (brand or even just new bag), supplements, treats, carpet cleaner, laundry soap .......

As have many before us, we spent beaucoup bucks going on a wild goose chase over Batman's red, itchy foot. Yes, foot, singular. You had to look really, really hard to realize that all 4 feet had the problem, but there was only one that he liked to pick at a lot. We accidentally did a scientific experiment and discovered his problem: An allergy to fish and fish oil, the very thing that's often recommended to help relieve allergies. Egad.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Katann

Yep it is allergies, my male chihuahua licks his legs all the time, it gave my hubby a scare because his one leg look very red and dark. i get after him when he licks it too much. My vet says that is is just allergies. :)