Egg Shaped Lump After Vaccine

Guest gomiesmom

Guest gomiesmom

Hi all. Have not been on for a while ( surprised my log in still worked, but it did).

My wonderful healthy girl, Lilly was in last Friday ( 1 week ago) for her annual visit and was due a lepto booster.

I decided this year also to get the Lyme disease vaccine.

Noticed 48 hrs after the shot, Lil had a sort of egg shaped lump near what I remember to be the lyme injection site. I thought, well 48 hrs, and I used to get goose eggs at injection site after allergy shots as a child, so I thought I'd watch it. Well, I have messed w/ it all week, and it does not hur her, she has no fever, but it is still there.

I am calling vet to push for a re-check tomorrow, but are there any thoughts.

It's not hot ( like it has a fever), she doesn't seem like she has a fever, and she is acting normal. She has been eating normal, running normal, etc.

Any thoughts???? Its not open or anything, it's not red or anything when I part the hair to look at it. It's about the size of a small chicken egg. it's not extra hard, but it's not musy, like a fatty deposit would be either.

Guest IrskasMom

I would deffinitly have it checked by your Vet. It has not been there before the Vaccination ??? I can't even guess , but sending Hugs and Prayers for your Girl. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I would get it checked. That said, I get that every time I get a flu shot, and they can last as long as two weeks. I've checked with my doctor and she says as long as that's all that happened, I can safely continue getting the shot.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Woody had the same reaction after his rabies shot in June. It took a full two weeks to go away. He had no reaction last week when he got his distemper shot though.

Good Luck!

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Guest gomiesmom

Thanks to all who replied to the "newbie" or the one who hasn't been on the site in eons......

Well I did speak w/ the vet, and she said what several posters have said ( all knowing ones on Greytalk)

she said that it IS a reaction, but it's not a "bad" one. Basically it's the serum from the vaccine, just sort of sitting there. Her natural antibodies are fighting the vaccine.....

anyhow, unless the "lump" gets or is hot ( which it's not) and if it's not affecting her, it will just go away; howver, it can tak "up to " a month to go away. She said I could massage it (????) and put warm compresses on it.

I have massaged it a little, and it does appear to be going down, but who's to say it's from the massaging, and not just natural absorption.

Again, thanks to all who replied. I am gonna try to get on here more. My hounds do take up a good bit of my time ( teeth brushing, and one requires some hand feeding ( spoiled ---- )

Thanks,

Lynn for Gomer & Lilly -