Need Advice - Can Pepcid Cause Loose Stool?

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

Hi All,

Our little Aleeya has been on Prednisone since about May, in continually lowering doses-- we're currently at 12.5 mg every 3 days (yay).

I was advised to give her a Pepcid (10mg famotidine) about 30min or so prior to giving her a Prednisone dose (or anything that could upset her tummy).

In July, and again last week, she got a case of Big D and couldn't shake it off-- the vet said that while on Pred, her immune system is suppressed and she can't fight off stuff that she maybe normally could (usually has a self-correcting stomach).

So-- last week, while she was on the Metronidazole, she was off the Pred-- and off the pepcid.

Just now: this morning was her first morning back on. DH gives the Pred in the morning around 7am, and I give her the Pred with some food around 9am.

After she ate her food and pred, she asked to go out back-- and had a Pudding Poop :(

So my question is-- could it be the Pepcid? She was fine on the walk with DH this morning (2-3hrs ago) and she was fine all last week on the Metronidazole AND since Thursday which was her last dose-- 3 days, totally fine.

Haka is also fine, so I don't think he has whatever is causing her to have issues.

Suggestions? I'm all ears.:huh

Thanks,

Soren

Not likely the Pepcid. More likely the prednisone, or something else which the metronidazole helped.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sorenkkg

Ok-- interesting. Now that the metronidazole is over, and she was fine for 3 days, I thought it would be safe to start her on the pepcid/pred.

I'm wondering-- since we're on a sort of low dose of pred, maybe give it to her with food but without the pepcid? Maybe she's maxed out in it after all these months?

Our appt with our opthalmologist is in October-- one month from today. It's her ongoing eye issue that's the reason he's giving her the pred, though we are in the tapering off phase.

?

Guest sorenkkg

Well, today is a "pill day" so I tried to change it up a bit-- no Pepcid in the morning, and I gave her the 1/4tab pred in a spoonful of her canned food. It's pouring rain here today, so I really hope there's no potty emergencies :rolleyes:

she was fine on Tuesday, but yesterday (no pills) she has some rather soft poops-- not impossible, but not firm either. Ate all of her food though, so I put some yogurt in the last meal of the night (she had been a bit gassy too... maybe that was Haka, but I think it was her).

will report on how the days progress.... Counting down till the 13th of October when we maybe can get off this dreaded Prednisone (but more likely, he'll reduce us to 5mg tabs instead of having to break up a 50mg tab into 1/4s... )

Hope everyone is having a good day!

S.

What kind of food does she eat? Could it possibly be too rich for her?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest sorenkkg

What kind of food does she eat? Could it possibly be too rich for her?

Interesting, hadn't thought about that. She's on Holistic (formerly eagle pack holistic) Duck and Oatmeal mixed with the Five Fish and oatmeal kibbles, and I add a spoon of the same brand wet food-- we have a chicken liver flavor, we have a duck flavor...

I'm wondering if, given the intermittent nature of the soft poop she's getting, maybe it's worms? She was de-wormed as part of her treatment in May (see other thread about her uveitis) but her test came back negative then anyway. If it continues, I'll have it tested again I guess.

The whole thing is this-- she's always been a very self-regulating, self-healing kind of pup. Generally has a good stomach, and will go off her food if there's an issue, and almost never gets D. I figure the pred has messed her up and she's not her normal self right now, even on the low dose she's on (12.5mg every 3 days).

Reports were that this morning's poop was soft but ok. I gave her pred in a bit of the canned food but not much, about 1tsp. It's pouring rain and thundering here, but she's not even gotten off her bed to ask to go out yet, so I guess that's good.

fingers crossed for tonight and tomorrow.

:) S.