Dental Recovery Question

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

I haven't been around much - lots going on getting ready for the baby! I do have a question though:

Rajah has a dental yesterday and the vet found a tooth with about 70% bone loss - the one in front was affected as well so she pulled them both. He had a rough time waking up from the anethesia (woke up screaming too) and seemed pretty out of it from the Rimadyl. He didn't really get it together enough that I was confident with him doing stairs until about 10 last night. He woke up whining this morning and had some loose stool, though there wasn't enough to determine whether it was the runs or just loose since he didn't eat much yesterday.

I gave him his antibiotics and the Rimadyl this morning, but called the vet to get backup pain meds in case these are affecting him badly (because it's the weekend). So my question now is: He's still pretty sluggish, lazier than normal, no happy tail, just sort of there - though he did come down to greet both me and DH when we got home today. Is this pretty normal 1 day post op? He ate this morning, which was a win. I gave him pumpkin for a 'cookie' after we went outside and he scarfed it. He's just not quite himself. Do I need to worry?

Our vet is so incredibly awesome - I have her cell # and she told me to call her before I call the emergency vet. I did call her last night and she told me to call again if there were any problems - she would be up late. Really don't want to bother her again if I don't have to. I have to write her a nice thank you note for taking good care of not just him, but me as well!!

Thanks so much for reading and any thoughts or advice.

Guest mcsheltie

I wouldn't worry excessively. Some of them have a hard time with anesthesia and it can take a couple days until they are completely back to normal. The fact that he is eating is a good sign.

DesiRay has been slow to recover from anes every time. Like you say, just not "with it." He always has loose stool for a couple of days, as well. Don't worry too much. Sounds like everything will be ok, just give him a little more time to get all the anes drugs

out of his system. Good thoughts!!!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

How is he this morning?

Joseph is one who takes a couple days to get back to himself after anaesthesia.

There are some anaesthetic agents that have tended to make for loose poop here; usually only lasts @ a day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It could also be the anti-biotics--I tend to feel that way on some of them.

Talk your vet next time he needs anesthesia--there are a lot of options for helping dogs come out more smoothly--mine used to come out thrashing, agitated, etc. but now that the prodicol is down pat, now more trouble.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

Rajah is feeling much better this afternoon. He came downstairs bouncy with his tail a'waggin when we got home this afternoon. His poop is more solid and he's not whining near as much.

Part of the reason that I love his vet is because she has two greys of her own and has a pretty good handle on how they handle things. She uses a different anethesia for them than for most dogs. I don't know about waking up, but I do know that he was never left alone. Even when we went to get him and stepped out of the room to look at the x-rays, she called a tech in to stay with him.

Thanks so much for the replies!!