Mittens

Our Border Collie, Mittens, was diagnosed with malignant melanoma of the upper mouth this summer. The tumor was removed, but the biopsy said that it was a very aggressive tumor. We have been treating her with diet, supplements, and extra love, knowing in our hearts that this was not going to end well. We didn't know how much time she had, nor did we ask. But I looked it up and found that only 25% of dogs survive one year post-diagnosis.

Tonight she would only eat half of her dinner (chopped up chicken breast with vegetables and rice). She seems "off"--somewhat sluggish and just not herself. I immediately went into a panic because I know that she doesn't have a heck of a lot of time, yet I hoped that she could beat the odds since she is such a tough girl. Losing her is going to be absolutely awful. I'm crying just writing this.

We called the vet (it's Friday evening) and left a message. I have a sick feeling inside my stomach. I'm just not ready for this...

I would so appreciate any prayers and positive thoughts you could send this way. She is the best dog ever.

Edited by Magdalyn58
Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Guest mcsheltie

I surely will send prayers your way!

Marley had a fibro sarcoma removed from the roof of his mouth. He was fine for a few months and then didn't want to eat. I started him on a liquid diet that didn't hit the roof of his mouth and he went a year before the tumor grew back. he lived six months after it's return.

I used mostly A/D and water, with other canned food, baby food or Ensure mixed in to keep it interesting.

She just ate a Burpdog pumpkin cookie! I had a small bag left over in the freezer and offered her one after I thawed it, and she loved it, as usual. Of course, Daisy and Teddy had to have one as well.

Shortly after the Burpdog, Teddy let out the loudest belch ever! My DH said, "well they lived up to their name!"

Mittens just had two BMs outside and seems a bit more lively. The vet called back and she will be seeing him at 8AM tomorrow.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Guest mcsheltie

She just ate a Burpdog pumpkin cookie! I had a small bag left over in the freezer and offered her one after I thawed it, and she loved it, as usual. Of course, Daisy and Teddy had to have one as well.

Shortly after the Burpdog, Teddy let out the loudest belch ever! My DH said, "well they lived up to their name!"

Mittens just had two BMs outside and seems a bit more lively. The vet called back and she will be seeing him at 8AM tomorrow.

Let's hope it was just gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Mittens is feeling better today and the vet visit goes well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Fingers crossed for handsome Mittens.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mittens seemed to get better as the night went on. This AM she was not happy that she couldn't have her breakfast, as the vet told us not to feed her just in case he needed to laser more of the tumor in her mouth. The visit went well. She lost some weight, but could stand to lose a few more pounds. It could also be the cancer that's causing her to lose weight, at least that's what the vet thinks could be happening. The tumor site still looks OK. We have to bring her back in one month, and he said that he would laser off anything that visibly grew back. Of course, this is just for her comfort, because it's very likely that the tumor as already metastasized to other organs. The vet said that sometimes these things move quickly, other times a little more slowly and really we just have to take each day as it comes.

After the early AM vet visit, we took her to her favorite dairy farm for a visit. She loves looking at the goats and sheep and cows. When we got home, she had her breakfast and some home cooked oatmeal as a treat. So she is OK right now. I know that this thing is looming over us and we have to learn to enjoy each and every day we have left with her.

Thank you so much for the prayers, positive thoughts and responses. You have no idea how much it helps.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Glad she is feeling better and got a visit to one of her favorite places. Hugs and hopes for many comfortable days together.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jettcricket

Prayers for your pretty girlie...so many of us have been there so we know exactly how your feeling.

Sending good thoughts that your baby Mittens will be here for a while....every day is a gift.