Performance With Your Therapy Dog

Guest eaglflyt

Guest eaglflyt

This Saturday I start a new class with Ady Bea ... *Performance With Your Therapy Dog*. In this class we'll learn a few tricks and a tiny bit of Freestyle to use on our Therapy Dog visits. This should be fun. :lol

Hubby also starts *Family Dog and Basic Obedience* class with Oscar this Saturday.

Hopefully the pups ... and the two humans .... will learn a bunch and have fun. This just may be the beginning of Ady Bea and I following this class with a true *Canine Freestyle* class next. No, I do not plan on posting videos any time soon! :lol:rofl

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest eaglflyt

sounds cool..lexie is a therapy dog so i would be interested in watching u post what she learns :colgate

I'll be happy to do that. ;) We're taking the classes at Positively Canine and our instructor will be Laura Ormsby. You can see the class descriptions on the website.

I wish you were closer and we could take the class together. :)

Shelly

That sounds like fun!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

That's gonna be awesome. Can't wait till you get to the point of "DH, will you take a video of us, please?"

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

sounds cool..lexie is a therapy dog so i would be interested in watching u post what she learns :colgate

I'll be happy to do that. ;) We're taking the classes at Positively Canine and our instructor will be Laura Ormsby. You can see the class descriptions on the website.

I wish you were closer and we could take the class together. :)

Shelly

just saw the site..the freestyle(dancing0) would be hysterical. I don't think I could get lexie to do that but who knows..lol enjoy and keep us informed of her progress. I wish I lived closer too :colgate

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest eaglflyt

We just completed our first class. :colgate Our work for the next week will be on targeting, me cleaning up my signals (not so easy!), more loose leash work, recall practice, focus practice and some box work. We're also going to be hand feeding all regular meals ... me hand feeding Ady Bea, and hubby hand feeding Oscar. Hubby & Oscar are in basic obedience.

I'm to refine my signals to Ady Bea and not pre-signal her with my ingrained habits of things I do before treating. :huh My clicker timing is good, but my hand and body movements may require some duct tape. Also, I'm to concentrate on building Ady Bea's work motiviation and not using treats as bribery. I'm also concentrating on improving her toy motivation ... she's already got the food motivation down pat!!! :lol I'm also to keep the treat bag behind my back at all times and never carry it on my side or front. There's my problem. I start reaching for a treat the same time I click ... thus pre-signaling to Ady Bea. This is really difficult for me ... to not feel rushed to get the treat after a click. Ugh! The treat should arrive soon, but don't reach before you have clicked!

This week we're to do our homework on everything above, hand feed all meals, and also work on her leaning. I've always loved that she's a leaner, but it's not very helpful when she's on leash and we're moving! Whenever she does that I'm not to correct her verbally, I'm to just turn and go another direction away from her lean.

You know, most of her issues are actually MY issues. I think the poor girl is a bit handicapped with my current state of training finesse. :blush

I think this sounds so cool,,,, keep us posted,,,,, always wanted to do this,,,, but,,, I really think a vido is in order here,,, we would like to see Ady Bea performing :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eaglflyt

Well, we missed a class a week ago, but this past Saturday's class was really great! We're working on more focus, trust, accurate and maintained heeling, targeting and now circles and spins. I'm keeping our homework sessions short and frequent. We're practicing 2 or 3 times a day for about 10 minutes each. We'll gradually move to longer and fewer daily sessions. I'm so impressed with Ady Bea's progress. Our trainer is awesome! I do have a hunch that once our class is complete, we're going to move right on into canine freestyle classes! We may never perform publicly, but WOW ... it's FUN!

After class this last Saturday, our trainer (Laura Ormsby) and her friend practiced a pair freestyle routine with their dogs. I was smiling ear-to-ear, as was my husband. I was telling Ady Bea to watch and learn! They were dancing with Beagles and a mixed-breed shelter rescue!!! All of Laura's performance dogs are shelter rescues!!! : ) I haven't had this much enjoyment in a long time in a doggy class ... and Ady Bea seems to love it, too!

I'll keep reporting as we progress. I'm also working with our fosters on basics. We have two fosters now, besides our 2 greys (Ady Bea and Oscar). Then we have our other pups and kitties and horses. Going to doggy class keeps me encouraged and motivated on working with all of them. :D

I'm also really thankful to have greys (fosters included) that are all really treat/food or toy motivated. It makes training a bit of a breeze! One of our current fosters, Wheat, would DO ANYTHING to have a ball or frisbee. He's going to be an awesome hound for someone! Oh, and our Tommy (foster) too!!!

Shelly in OK