Healthy Treats

Guest mom2hounds

Guest mom2hounds

I have been trying to by healthy, grain and dye free treats for my dogs. I found some at a local dog show that they absolutely love. I bought dried lamb lung, dried chicken feet, dried beef heart, dried lamb liver. There are no preservatives, no grains, nothing artificial. The chicken feet are kind of gross looking, all three dogs just crunch them up. This company also sells raw feeding products.

Has anyone had any problems with feeding these types of treats?

One of my dogs is prone to the big D if I change his diet too much.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for healthy treats?

A Place for Paws

Have one IBD dog, and one dog allergic to chicken.

So... we have dehydrated chicken breast. We get an automatic delivery on this.

Dehydrated duck breast. (automatic delivery)

Dehydrated tilapia filets. (we make these and sometimes the chicken)

For non protein type of cookies, we give them the peanut butter zukes. On occasion they get INNOVA biscuits (large) or bil jacs. For my non raw eaters (except Beau with the IBD) they each get a raw duck neck 3 x a week.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest mcsheltie

My dogs would love to come and visit :colgate The only thing you need to watch for is not to feed too much of the liver. That can trigger D!

You could get a dehydrator and make your own. Someone here had a tip to put it in the garage when you do liver!

Guest sheila

I don't worry about 'healthy treats. I figure that they are 'treats' and not the staple diet. I don't live on Snickers bars or Big Macs, but sometimes they are exactly what I need at the moment.

Of course neither my dog or I have any dietary restrictions either. ;)

Guest Sunset123

Have one IBD dog, and one dog allergic to chicken.

So... we have dehydrated chicken breast. We get an automatic delivery on this.

Dehydrated duck breast. (automatic delivery)

Dehydrated tilapia filets. (we make these and sometimes the chicken)

For non protein type of cookies, we give them the peanut butter zukes. On occasion they get INNOVA biscuits (large) or bil jacs. For my non raw eaters (except Beau with the IBD) they each get a raw duck neck 3 x a week.

Does the chicken allergy dog do fine on duck? I've avoided all bird protein with my chicken allergy girl, so I'm curious.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't worry about 'healthy treats. I figure that they are 'treats' and not the staple diet. I don't live on Snickers bars or Big Macs, but sometimes they are exactly what I need at the moment.

Of course neither my dog or I have any dietary restrictions either. ;)

Treats may not be the staple diet but they are food. Some dogs get a lot of treats so it makes sense to feed them quality stuff. I'm not sure how it would make sense to make or purchase a premium food and then get some Snausages, make of junk and preservatives, for my dog.

Have you tried veggies? They go over well here, especially tomatoes and crunchy things (asparagus, carrots, broccoli stalks...)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest FullMetalFrank

We make sweet potato treats; I slice sweet potatoes about 1/4" thick on the bias, lightly par boil them with a little salt and dehydrated garlic chips, then drain them, pat them dry and dehydrate them in my food dehydrator for about 12-16 hours. The salt and garlic are really minimal but it does help to give them a little punch of flavor; they can be eliminated if you'd like. They have a surprisingly long shelf life, too.

Here in the UK Doc enjoys:

dried tripe sticks (very smelly!)

pigs ears (fine for him but may be too fatty for some dogs)

dried liver

small cubes of hard cheese such as Cheddar (again fine for him but not suitable for dogs with a lactose intolerance)

As others have said, some dogs will view bits of raw fruit or veg as a great treat but Doc always looks at me as if I am mad if I offer him these!

He doesn't enjoy biscuit-type treats either, so I cut up some commercial chew strips into small pieces for people to give him on our Pets As Therapy visits, when I need something that is clean for them to handle and that he can be relied on to take.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I dehydrate chicken livers, and chicken strips, I make my own peanutbutter and honey treats with oatmeal and any type of flour you wish to use,,,,, whole wheat, potato, rice, soy and dehydrate instead of baking then