Teddy & Ollie

How do you think we should handle this?

Teddy and Ollie co exist ok together. Teddy is very jealous of the younger, bigger (dare I say cuter) boy with much more hair! But he really is jealous. Ollie will start to play with toys and Teddy will jump off bed and run across room and intercept him. Ollie will immediately drop the toy and lay down. If I am giving Ollie love, Teddy will arise out of a sleep and push him out of the way in order to get the attention. He really has a hard time sharing the mommy's love with Ollie.

My concerns are that Ollie can't come into his own with Teddy jumping into the middle of things. It's gotten to the point that the other 4 will hang in the bedroom with us as usual and Olli will hang in another bedroom on another floor. If we gate him into the room with us so he can't go downstairs, he will hang out in my walk in closet. (Elsie uses this as her condo sometimes, there is a dog bed in there and my shoes are now in another closet lol.gif )

I realize that Ollie and Teddy will never be best friends and that is ok, but I want Ollie to reach his full potential with us. Any ideas of how to help us help Ollie and Teddy?

I figured someone else probably has expeienced this before between 2 dogs. I hate that Ollie feels the need to look over his shoulder all the time wondering when Teddy is going to jump out and go BOO.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Intercept Teddy (for example, he could be sitting for treats next to you while Ollie plays) and give Ollie some one-on-one time. When Teddy tries to push Ollie out of the way, "Aaaah!" and move him to one side -- one hand for each dog. Takes some practice but even a push, excitable dog can learn.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PiagetsMom

I know you're going to get much more experienced advice, Robin, but here's my 2 cents. Mirage can be like this with Piaget - he's the pushier of the two and Piaget is, for the most part, willing to let him be. With toys, he'll often take a toy away, and I figure I'll let them sort that out as long as there's no snarkiness, which there very rarely is. Usually I'll redirect Piaget to another toy, and she's more than fine with that. He's pushy for treats.....has to be first, but if he's being really pushy I'll usually make him wait and treat her first.

Mirage is a Mama's boy, and when Piaget approaches me for affection, he's always going to try to push his way in and put himself between she and I. That's where I draw the line and draw Piaget back and make sure that she does get my attention, because she's much like Ollie in that she'll just retreat to a bed instead.

Other than that, I don't have any other answers to offer you. I don't know if it can be "fixed" any more than that as it seems to just be the dynamic that's a result of their individual personalities. I understand your concern, though.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Have you tried removal? Every time Teddy gets pushy, remove him from the room. No eye contact, no words, he's just whisked off to another room (read boring) for a few moments.

What Batmom said.

For toys, the rule here is that she who has, keeps. Once she abandons the toy, the other can have it. When there is a new dog in the house, I enforce that rule with constant supervision--intercepting the thief and redirecting her to another toy--until I'm absolutely sure that the she understands the rule. [Aside: it's always "she" because my token boy has zero interest in toys.] The same rule applies to their weekly (high-value) chews, but I've simplified enforcement by having the newer dogs in crates.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PiagetsMom

What Batmom said.

For toys, the rule here is that she who has, keeps. Once she abandons the toy, the other can have it.

Well, yes......Piaget's idea of play is a little strange. To clarify, she'll take a toy, run to the other room (which entices Mirage to follow) and then drop it - at which point Mirage takes it and goes. He doesn't actually take it out of her mouth. I'm not entirely sure that this isn't a game that they've made between the two of them. When I've taken the toy and returned it to her, she's no longer interested in that toy rolleyes.gif , but is perfectly happy with another. Maybe I should supervise/referee more, but I've come to let them be as long as they're both fine with it.

And, as I said, I absolutely defer to these much more experienced multi-pup people - just relating my experience and what seems to work here smile.gif

For toys, the rule here is that she who has, keeps. Once she abandons the toy, the other can have it.

Well, yes......Piaget's idea of play is a little strange. To clarify, she'll take a toy, run to the other room (which entices Mirage to follow) and then drop it - at which point Mirage takes it and goes. He doesn't actually take it out of her mouth.

I didn't intend to comment on your post (which I'd just skimmed), and I apologize if it seemed that way.

FWIW, I came up with the rule because when the poodles were puppies, Minnie would take every toy/chew/whatever away from Perry. Sometimes she'd snatch it, and sometimes she'd rule by intimidation, but she always wanted everything. I later found out in passing (we were discussing something else) that a very experienced trainer whom I respect has the same rule, so I've stuck with it.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PiagetsMom

I didn't intend to comment on your post (which I'd just skimmed), and I apologize if it seemed that way.

No problem! smile.gif I freely admit that this is my first go-round with two greys - I've benefited a lot from GreyTalk and advice from you guys. Every once in a while when something sound familiar I'll take a shot at it, but for all I know I've screwed my pups up good lol.gif

Sorry, Robin - I'll let you get back to your thread!

Edited by PiagetsMom

Since Ollie can't or won't stand up for himself, you're going to have to do it for him. If Teddy pushes his way in when Ollie is getting attention, tell Teddy ahhahh and go lay down. You're describing our Valentino when he came home. I had to teach him where his place was and I did not let him bully any other dog in the house. If he tried to take a toy away from someone, I took it back, gave it to the dog that had it and told Valley to go lay down. If the dog that originally had it didn't want it, I would lay it next to him. Valley was not allowed to have it at that point in time. Once Ollie see's that you are there for him, he will start to come in to his own and one day, he may just up and tell Teddy to bug off. Teddy's just basically being a bully because Ollie won't stand up for himself.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Ohiogreymom

I agree with Judy. My Spy is a total bully if allowed to be.He tries to bully every new dog as they come in, and I nip it in the bud immediately! A few years ago, Spy and Chickers had a couple very serious fights, and Chickers got hurt pretty bad both times, and I said NO more, not happening.I always have to let Spy know that there's only one boss here, and it isn't him.I handle it just like Judy does if he tries to take a toy, or gets pushy, and the other dogs know that Mom will handle it, so they don't have to. No dog should have to live in fear of another. If you're VERY firm (but loving) with Teddy, he'll get the idea, and then Ollie can relax. Much luck! :P Darlene