Dental - How Often?

Guest dozersassy

Guest dozersassy

Hi,

So we adopted Sassy and had her teeth cleaned when we first got her which was very traumatic and took her awhile to recover (at 2 1/2 some had to be pulled :( . If they are making money off these dogs why don't they take care of them?? Sorry.

Due to the ordeal and trauma I'm hesitant to do it again. Plus if something happened while she was under anesthesia I would just be heartbroken so don't want to do it unnecessarily as it is a pretty major procedure. However her teeth are awful - They were when we got her and even after cleaning they didn't stay clean long. We have tried everything (marrow bones, greenies etc) and nothing seems to really help. We also had the injections that were supposed to help keep them cleaner (it as a series of 2, can't remember the name) but alas her teeth are horrible again.

Someone told me it can be genetics and she must have bad tooth genes.

So how often do you clean your hounds teeth?

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

The dogs in the kennel I work with have beautiful teeth. They're given chew bones routinely. I haven't had to do a dental on any of them, though a couple I told them to polish them up while they had them out. I do think some dogs just have a genetic predisposition to poor teeth. I have a senior non-Greyhound who had most of her teeth removed at the time of rescue. I haven't had a dog need follow up dentals, and my personal 13 year old dog has never had one and his teeth are perfect. I scale the teeth as needed, routinely provide bones and chewies, and I will rinse the gums occasionally with a solution of chlorhexadine. I hate putting the dogs under, but sometimes it is needed.

There's one other variable besides genetics: How well the teeth were cleaned when they were done the first time. If the teeth aren't fully scaled and polished properly, they're going to build up crud even faster. ..... For your pup, you might want to start the habit of brushing twice a day -- a good terry washcloth wrapped around a finger works well if pup doesn't tolerate toothbrush. I understand your reluctance to put her under, but if they're that bad, they need to be done.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear your pup had a hard time with the dental.

Mine has not had dentals since I adopted them. Two could use dentals, and I have finally found a greyhound savvy vet I'd trust. The other three do NOT need dentals, and they are all ages 8-10.

I use Petzlife Gel AND Spray religiously. Daily on the ones with the worst teeth, everyother day, on the rest. I also give them sweet potato "rawhide" from Sam's Yams, RAW frozen soup/marrow bones, and buffalo tracheas, to chew. I also use Chlorhexadine rinse on their teeth at least two to three times a week.

Keeping their teeth clean is an essential part of avoiding dentals.

Good Luck!

Guest BooBooMama

Sorry to hear your pup had a hard time with the dental.

Mine has not had dentals since I adopted them. Two could use dentals, and I have finally found a greyhound savvy vet I'd trust. The other three do NOT need dentals, and they are all ages 8-10.

I use Petzlife Gel AND Spray religiously. Daily on the ones with the worst teeth, everyother day, on the rest. I also give them sweet potato "rawhide" from Sam's Yams, RAW frozen soup/marrow bones, and buffalo tracheas, to chew. I also use Chlorhexadine rinse on their teeth at least two to three times a week.

Keeping their teeth clean is an essential part of avoiding dentals.

Good Luck!

I concur!

How often is going to depend on the dog.

Jet I think had a dental before she was adopted before she turned 2. Not really sure if she did or not. She's now 11 and her teeth are fine with the occasional rawhide or marrow bone. Hasn't needed a dental.

Ryan I don't think had a dental when he was adopted, but again, I'm not sure. He would have been 11 next week and while in Kodiak, his teeth got kind of nasty, but I would NOT let the vet there do a dental (they didn't think he needed one anyway) and once we got down here, his teeth got better on their own.

So neither of mine had needed dentals after adoption and Jet has been with me 9+ years and Ryan was with me for just over 8 years.

I think it was the water in Kodiak as both J&Rs teeth got nasty up there.

Our Spencer has always had bad teeth, while Shane's have been exceptionally good. Spencer has dentals annually, but then I'm not the greatest tooth-brusher. At one point his teeth had gotten especially bad because he had compromised health and the vet didn't want to do a dental, so she recommended one turkey neck per day for two weeks. (Or maybe it was every other day.) At the end of that time his teeth looked like those of a leading man in Hollywood!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest dozersassy

Turkey necks? Where do you get those (at the grocery store?) I've never heard that one and will try anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Count yourselves lucky if your greys have good teeth with an occasional bone or brushing

Last time the vet said the two front bottom ones were beyond saving so I'm sure those will have to go. :(

AND I've moved to FL so have to find a new vet

Edited by dozersassy

Welcome to Greytalk :)

You might want to check out the pinned list of recommended vets at the top of this forum.

Once you find your vet, please feel free to come back an ask any questions you have about dentals, anethesia, or anything else.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Sunset123

We haven't needed to do it, but I don't think I'd use our current vet if we did. He's very nice and the office is convenient for normal visits, but I'd travel an extra couple of hours to go to the "greyhound vet" for extra safety and peace of mind.

For normal maintenance, I'm pretty obsessive about the daily tooth care. I add ProDen PlaqueOff (a natural seaweed supplement) daily to her food, and every night I brush and then apply PetzLife. She gets a big bully stick at least once a week which helps with those back teeth that I can't reach well.

Guest kydie

My boy came to me needing a dental, and was told by the adoption group he had one before adoption,,, whoever did it did a pi@@ poor job,, he has been with me 2 years and never needed another one,,,, I brush teeth and give lots of stuff for them to chew :)

Guest NeverSayNever

If you brush their teeth daily (especially before they are damaged and gross), you will never have to do a dental. My greyhounds never need dentals, they don't stink, they are painfree, they have all of their teeth (including 12 year old), and they have pink healthy gums that do not bleed.

Brush, Brush, Brush!!!! DAILY!!!

Oh, and you only need to brush the outside of the teeth. You don't have to brush like you do your own teeth... just the outside on dogs and make sure you get the front teeth too. 30 seconds. I use a small headed, soft bristle human toothbrush and chicken flavored dog toothpaste. Has to be dog toothpaste!

No dentals here. I give them raw meaty bones at least twice a week. Usually more often. I don't brush.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I have been trying to brush with Petzlife everyday. He is not very fond of it and he still does not allow me to brush his back teeth. How can I do that? He just clamps his mouth closed and turns his head..and frankly I don't want to push the issue because I don't want him trying to get agressive with me! Thanks

Guest NeverSayNever

I have been trying to brush with Petzlife everyday. He is not very fond of it and he still does not allow me to brush his back teeth. How can I do that? He just clamps his mouth closed and turns his head..and frankly I don't want to push the issue because I don't want him trying to get agressive with me! Thanks

What flavor toothpaste is it? I would definitely use something he wants to lick off the brush. Also he really does not have to open his mouth... just pull his cheek away from teeth and insert toothbrush. If you are really working with a dog who is funny about being handled, I would arm myself with some yummy-to-die-for treats (NOT biscuits or kibble). Small bites of real meat and cheese. And then work slowly and gradually getting him used to it. Pull back cheek, give him a treat. Pull back cheek, touch brush to teeth, treat. Pull back cheek, one stroke with brush against teeth, treat. Repeat on other side. Done. Next day, work up to 2 strokes on each side and so on. Keep sessions short.

One note... it can be painful if teeth are already damaged.

I'm also a fan of raw meaty bones. Even for the kibble eaters, struggling with a turkey neck once a week is great for their mouths.

Guest Sunset123

Mine doesn't open her mouth to let me get the back, either. I get as much as I can, including using the brush to lever the mouth open to get the inside of the front teeth, and then just make sure I'm giving a long-lasting chew at least weekly for the back part. Arrisa only really uses her back teeth for chewing her bully sticks, so it works out.