Petzlife Users

Guest kydie

Guest kydie

I know many of you here use Petzlife for your pups teeth,,, so I was going to start using it on my old girl,,, she has always been my problems child as far as teeth brushing,,,, took her to the vet today, as she has a broken tooth, to set up for removal of it,,, and asked the vet (new guy) about Petzlife,,,, he admitted he knew nothing about it,,,, so before I left he got on the VMA web site to get info, on it for me,,,, came to me and said,,,, VMA does not recommemd use of PRTZLIFE on dogs,,, as due to the grape seed extract in this product it has been shown to cause kidney faliure,, :blink: besides the grain alochol in it, which he felt was far from an issue,,, :huh Now I know vets don't know everything,,,, but grapes have long been a no, no for dogs,,,,, FYI,,, not telling anyone what to do,,, but I know I will not be useing it on my old chow at age 12 I'm not taking any chances :)

Guest Energy11

INTERESTING!

My personal theory on this would be, they really don't ingest ENOUGH of the grape extract to cause a problem, same as the alcohol. I use it daily on mine, and all their blood numbers are fine.

BUT, if you don't feel comfortable with it, surely, don't use it. There is another similar product, Liba III. I used to use it (*it is a spray), but it wasn't nearly as effective as the Petzlife.

Good Luck!

Guest kydie

I too thought,, gee, how much of this stuff cound they be ingesting,,,, vet said,,, "he has known dogs to go into kidney faliure with as little as 6 raisans!" :blink:

We use it and have thought of the same issue concerning grape seed extract however the amount if very, very small. True vets have likely seen everything but I have also heard of pups eating grapes (not a lot) with no issues, raisins, etc. I do not feed mine those even though our Dally loved green grapes and she got a few now and again and she lived until 14.5 yrs old. I believe for Grays especially, keeping their teeth in good shape is critical.

Bottom line is where does one draw the line? Just look at the water. One should not be giving water from most municipalities due to chlorine in the water. So your alternative is spring water which is in plastic bottles - that's a no no as well. Some have tried to link what's in water to cancer - we have a well with complete filtration system and reverse osmosis and yet Charlie got cancer. The problem is there are no many things out there that may do harm for some pups and may not for others. It's impossible to keep up!

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Energy11

We use it and have thought of the same issue concerning grape seed extract however the amount if very, very small. True vets have likely seen everything but I have also heard of pups eating grapes (not a lot) with no issues, raisins, etc. I do not feed my those even though our Dally loved green grapes and she got a few now and again and she lived until 14.5 yrs old. I believe for Grays especially, keeping their teeth is good shape is critical.

Bottom line is where does one draw the line. Just look at the water. One should not be giving water from most municipalities due to chlorine in the water. So your alternative is spring water which is in plastic bottles - that's a no no as well. Some have tried to link what's in water to cancer - we have a well with complete filtration system and reverse osmosis and yet Charlie got cancer. The problem is there are no many things out there that may do harm for some pups and may not for others. It's impossible to keep up!

I totally AGREE! We feed the better/best foods. Organic treats, NOTHING made in China. We use the PUR filter to filter our WELL water, and yes ... things still happen. You TRY your best to keep their lives as perfect as possible, ... but that is all you can do.

Edited by Energy11

Guest BooBooMama

I know many of you here use Petzlife for your pups teeth,,, so I was going to start using it on my old girl,,, she has always been my problems child as far as teeth brushing,,,, took her to the vet today, as she has a broken tooth, to set up for removal of it,,, and asked the vet (new guy) about Petzlife,,,, he admitted he knew nothing about it,,,, so before I left he got on the VMA web site to get info, on it for me,,,, came to me and said,,,, VMA does not recommemd use of PRTZLIFE on dogs,,, as due to the grape seed extract in this product it has been shown to cause kidney faliure,, :blink: besides the grain alochol in it, which he felt was far from an issue,,, :huh Now I know vets don't know everything,,,, but grapes have long been a no, no for dogs,,,,, FYI,,, not telling anyone what to do,,, but I know I will not be useing it on my old chow at age 12 I'm not taking any chances :)

PetzLife does not have very much grape seed extract in it- its main ingredient is grapefruit seed extract in it. I was worried about using it at first because of the grain alcohol but the amount is so low that my vet felt it was safe. Could you please send me a link to the article stating that the VMA does not recommend it?

Edited by BooBooMama

Guest Energy11

I know many of you here use Petzlife for your pups teeth,,, so I was going to start using it on my old girl,,, she has always been my problems child as far as teeth brushing,,,, took her to the vet today, as she has a broken tooth, to set up for removal of it,,, and asked the vet (new guy) about Petzlife,,,, he admitted he knew nothing about it,,,, so before I left he got on the VMA web site to get info, on it for me,,,, came to me and said,,,, VMA does not recommemd use of PRTZLIFE on dogs,,, as due to the grape seed extract in this product it has been shown to cause kidney faliure,, blink.gif besides the grain alochol in it, which he felt was far from an issue,,, huh.gif Now I know vets don't know everything,,,, but grapes have long been a no, no for dogs,,,,, FYI,,, not telling anyone what to do,,, but I know I will not be useing it on my old chow at age 12 I'm not taking any chances smile.gif

"... VMA does not recommemd use of PRTZLIFE on dogs,,, as due to the grape seed extract in this product it has been shown to cause kidney faliure,... blink.gif"

I thought something didn't sound right. I am just reading the Petzlife Gel bottle, and here it is: Ingredients: Distilled water, grain alcohol, GRAPEFRUIT seed extract (**not grape seed***), and a blend of herbs and natural oils. smile.gif

**Remember one thing about our vets, they want to make money. They maybe the greatest people around (*my vet/former employer was), BUT, he was still out to make money. too. Of course, they don't want us using products like this, as we don't get as many dentals. colgate.gif

"... VMA does not recommemd use of PRTZLIFE on dogs,,, as due to the grape seed extract in this product it has been shown to cause kidney faliure,... blink.gif"

I thought something didn't sound right. I am just reading the Petzlife Gel bottle, and here it is: Ingredients: Distilled water, grain alcohol, GRAPEFRUIT seed extract (**not grape seed***), and a blend of herbs and natural oils. smile.gif

**Remember one thing about our vets, they want to make money. They maybe the greatest people around (*my vet/former employer was), BUT, he was still out to make money. too. Of course, they don't want us using products like this, as we don't get as many dentals. colgate.gif

You got it perfect. Thanks.

I've been using PetzLife going on four years now and have never been able to attribute anything to it other than improved teeth. Remember, your vet is the one trying to sell you on the overpriced and lackluster Science Diet food too.

Guest Energy11

You got it perfect. Thanks.

I've been using PetzLife going on four years now and have never been able to attribute anything to it other than improved teeth. Remember, your vet is the one trying to sell you on the overpriced and lackluster Science Diet food too.

YEP!

Even when I worked for Dr. B, I used to think Science Diet products were GREAT! Why? Because they were sold at the vets! NOT! The first ingredient was CORN! :-(

Guest kydie
:clap the use of this product would make my life so much easier,, than trying to wrestle her for a teeth brushing,,, thanks,,, I just could not image G.T'ers using this if it was unsafe

That's a ridiculous statement!

Edited by tbhounds

Guest Energy11

That's a ridiculous statement!

Sorry you think the above statement is "ridiculous." BUT, I worked for a vet for four years, and yes, they are caring, wonderful, people, for the most part, but, yes, they do want to make money (*I mean they are business people)! TRUST me, there is a 50%+ mark up on products and services at your vets. Again, I was in the "inside," and I know this for a fact. I used to unpack the merchandise, and SEE what he paid, vs., what was charged to the client. In addition, did you know, that most vaccinations cost the vet UNDER $5 each??

Anyway, YES, they do want us to care properly for our pets, but I HAVE SEEN dentals ordered on animals who did NOT need them. Petzlife DOES work, but many vets don't believe in products like this. Why would Kydie's vet have come up with a statement that was totally FALSE?

Anyway, that is my two cents. We are all entitled to our two cents.

Edited by Energy11

Guest cruzNhounds

Thanks for your post, I was wondering.

Not sure if this is a kawinkydink or what, I bought some after seeing JFH's post and pictures of tarter that fell off one of her dogs teeth. Birdie now has bright red gums and a tooth that is infected, I take her tomorrow for her dental care. It might just be that she has a sensitivity to Petzlife or she had some changes to her teeth that I could not see and the Petzlife sped things up, who knows? :dunno

Will find out tomorrow, lucky for me I have a Greyhound Vet who's interest is in my dog's health and not the $$.

7/23

Birdie had her dental today. I brought the bottle and a printout of it's ingredients with me, my Vet was neither pro or against and stated that the ingredients are not harmful. Birdie is fine, minus a few teeth. :(

Edited by cruzNhounds

Guest kydie

I can sure atest to the vaccines statement of Energy11,,, I give my own, and know for a fact the cost of most is about $3.00 now, I understand everyone has to make a living, and the office has overhead,,,, but animal care is no differnt the human care,,,,and the mark up in human care is unbeleivable,,, so I am sure pet care is no different, and there are some vets as M.D.'s more honest than others,,, on another thread a G.T.'er posted that cost of a dental, in their area was, was $550.00 to $600.00 here it is about $150.00, in this small area how long would a vet be in business if he charged $600.00 for a dental? I assure you not long,,, I beleive they charge what they know the market in their area with pay,, I'll bet Energy11 could tell you the true cost of a dental is about $100.00,,, if you'll pay it they'll charge it,,,, IMHO

Edited by kydie

I agree. It has sadly been my experience as well that most of the time the #1 objective -even ahead of the patients welfare many times- is the generation of income.

Edited by racindog

Guest eaglflyt

You know, numerous vets sell Leba III. It's nothing but distilled water and a small amount of grain alcohol. I have no idea why the small amount of grain alcohol in Petzlife would be a problem. It has been shown safe when used as directed ... only a teaspoon per day for a Greyhound sized dog. I use it on our girl and our dachsies ... as well as our VERY elderly Aussie. All have perfect blood work. Our Aussie was just checked in June of this year ... he's 14 and totally normal lab work.

Also, many vets sell Vetzlife, the veterinary marketed Petzlife product.

HERE is a list of veterinarians that carry Petzlife/Vetzlife Oral Care Gel/Spray.

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest Energy11

I can sure atest to the vaccines statement of Energy11,,, I give my own, and know for a fact the cost of most is about $3.00 now, I understand everyone has to make a living, and the office has overhead,,,, but animal care is no differnt the human care,,,,and the mark up in human care is unbeleivable,,, so I am sure pet care is no different, and there are some vets as M.D.'s more honest than others,,, on another thread a G.T.'er posted that cost of a dental, in their area was, was $550.00 to $600.00 here it is about $150.00, in this small area how long would a vet be in business if he charged $600.00 for a dental? I assure you not long,,, I beleive they charge what they know the market in their area with pay,, I'll bet Energy11 could tell you the true cost of a dental is about $100.00,,, if you'll pay it they'll charge it,,,, IMHO

Yes, the "true cost" of a SIMPLE DENTAL (**no extractions**) IS about $100. You factor in the vet's time, anesthesia, etc. For A LOT of vets, "simple dentals," are "cash cows!" The surgery is SIMPLE (***a lot of vet techs do the simple dentals****). When the dentals are involved ... ie: extractions and other complications, THAT is when the prices soar, and you want YOUR VET doing these procedures! ... techs are not allowed.

Most all vet cost are inflated. These people need to pay their staff, overhead, etc., so, of course, they have to mark things up. As mentioned above, human docs do the same. I spent over 15 years in that arena as well.

You just have to TRUST your vets and you also have to BE AWARE of everything, and never, ever forget to QUESTION these people! Vets and Docs are just like us ... they are HUMAN! Being an informed client/patient is your key to quality care.

Guest eaglflyt

A vet from the Univ. of Florida Vet School Neurology Dept. recommends Grape Seed Extract for dogs with neurological conditions HERE . Scroll down to *Herbal Supplements* section.

Apparently, there is also a difference between the flesh and skin of grapes and the contents in grape *seeds*. See this quote form THIS Holistic Vet site:

"Grape seed extract is especially beneficial to aging animals, and animals with cataracts, cancer and heart disease.

On the Safety of Grape Seed Extract: Grapes and raisins have been of much debate in the past few years. Here is a short quote from the Veterinary Information Network board posts "Ingestion of grapes or raisins has been associated with acute renal failure in dogs. Anecdotal evidence suggests that cats may also be affected… Being a fructose sugar, it is quickly eliminated through the kidneys where it reaches high tissue levels. It then causes a certain cell "power house" called the mitochondria to open and allow calcium to enter." This causes the mitochondria to stop functioning, therefore the death of the cell.
"Recent unpublished data indicates that the toxic component is water soluble, and within the flesh of the grape/raisin, not the seed. Thus the current thinking is that grape seed may be safe to use."

Grape seed is often found with antioxidant supplements used for human cancer treatments. The seed induces the cell deaths of highly replicating cancer cells. There was a study done on men with prostate carcinoma which showed approximately 90% inhibition of the pathways that induces the growth of the cancer cells.

The flavanoids in the seed are known to reduce inflammation, and support the immune system particularly with respiratory issues, allergies, and skin problems. It has been used in cats and dogs successfully without any reported problems."

edited to remove excessive white space at end of post

Edited by eaglflyt

Before we knew grapes were poisonous to dogs, our standard poodle had grapes all the time. They were one of his favorite foods. He lived to 15 years old. Now that I know they are poisonous, I wouldn't risk giving them to my dog. That said, if he gets a grape or 2, I would watch him carefully, but I wouldn't panic.

Guest kydie

when our sons were little we had a newfie,,,, that dog ate everything,,, and I mean everything,,,, heck,,, we didn't know about all this stuff 30 years ago,,, if the kids made a PB snadwich,,,, the dog got one too,,, really don't know how much dog food he ate,,,, he ate what they ate,,, and I'm sure as I can be he got grapes too :lol he lived to be almost 13 years old,,,, old for newfie

Edited by kydie

Guest brit1

Just curious for those of you on well water, we had been buying bottled water "just in case" our well water was not good (hubby and neighbors had cancer) but now find its been bottled in blue plastic #7 which is considered bad :angry: We cannot afford R/O as it keeps the pump going too much. Our water did test 2.5 for nitrates (<10 apparently safe) but otherwise all was good. Anyone use a sink filter that works well? anne

I totally AGREE! We feed the better/best foods. Organic treats, NOTHING made in China. We use the PUR filter to filter our WELL water, and yes ... things still happen. You TRY your best to keep their lives as perfect as possible, ... but that is all you can do.

Guest kydie

I use the drink well dog water fountain,,, got it from Foster and Smith that has the carbon filters,, I replace them about every 2 weeks, they don't cost much,, I have had it for 7 years now,,, and would replace it in a flash if it stopped working,,, I love that thing :)

Guest Energy11

Just curious for those of you on well water, we had been buying bottled water "just in case" our well water was not good (hubby and neighbors had cancer) but now find its been bottled in blue plastic #7 which is considered bad mad.gif We cannot afford R/O as it keeps the pump going too much. Our water did test 2.5 for nitrates (<10 apparently safe) but otherwise all was good. Anyone use a sink filter that works well? anne

We RENT.

We have A SHALLOW well, and it is full of dirt and smells badly. We automatically PUR filter ALL our drinking water, and the water for the dogs. NO plastic bottles :)))

Has anyone found the info stating that the VMA does not recommend PetzLife? I can't find anything online.

No...I, too, looked, and cannot find anything!

Guest IHeartDogs

I did not read all the posts.

I knew about the alcohol and grape seed in Petzlife before using it, and read that some little dogs get bad reactions (as if they are drunk). I think I use less than the recommended amount and have never had a bad reaction besides from some dogs not liking the taste.

And besides.... Most vets don't know everything, they are general practitioners. I know I have had to educate my vet on some things and he is a great all around vet.