I Moved The Food Bowl

Guest SaddleWags

Guest SaddleWags

Sorry for the long post.

Coen my 5 yr. old male has come a long way since we got him 1.5 yrs ago. His space issues are almost non-existent, which I love because I get to hold and snuggle him whenever I want. He can be skittish at times still with loud noises or big sudden movements.

Coen has always eaten his food in the kitchen. One evening a friend's lab came over and with great eagerness, thoroughly clean out my dog's already empty food bowl and broke the rubber ring around the base of the bowl (the bowl is placed on top of a shoe box to elevate it). Because there is no longer a rubber ring around the base of the metal bowl, Coen, while eating, pushed the bowl off the shoebox. It clang to the floor. Coen streaked across the kitchen into the next room. He refused to come back to finish his dinner. So I let him outside to finish his food - stress free.

The next morning I put his food down, and he wouldn't come into the kitchen. So I took it outside for him...note: we have often let our pups eat outside on nice days. It's like having a picnic.

The following day I brought my 2 nieces home to stay for a week. This did not please Coen at all.

He is always indoors and on our bed during the day. But with the girls here, he refused to come inside. He became very difficult. He'd stay outdoors til the sun went down. Because of this obvious behavioral change, in order to feed him without causing him more stress, I continued to either feed him outdoors if he was already out, or feed him in his sanctuary - our bedroom. I forgot to mention, if he wasn't outside - he was laying on our closet floor - which he had never done before, either. When he was outside, being outside wasn't good enough, he chose to lay down at the furthest most point from the house, every time.

Once I took him for a joy ride, just the two of us and he refused to get out of the car. Never happened before. I had to lift him out of the car.

My husband wanted me to take my nieces home, but I didn't think it right to not spend time with my girls just because of my dogs neurotic-ism. My nieces were pretty well behaved while they were here, and new to give Coen space.

The worst of it was when Coen was outside one evening a thunderstorm came thru. Usually Coen wouldn't have let the first drop hit him before he was inside, but the rain started to trickle down, I called and patted my leg, and still he just looked at me. Then the sky opened up and huge drops where falling like crazy, I ran out to get him and had to pick up his 67 lbs. and carry him inside.

What the heck, man!?

The girls are no longer here. So he's back to his normal self except meal time. He won't come into the kitchen. Before he was always their as soon as he heard me pick up his bowl. So I continue to take it back to my bedroom where he'll eat.

How do I get him to eat in the kitchen again?

If it were me I would set it down in the kitchen and just leave it. Go about your business in the house.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I'll bet if you just left it on the kitchen floor for a while and picked it up if he refuses to eat it, he'll eat in the kitchen the next morning. Hunger is a great motivator.:lol I think at this point I'd replace it with a bowl with another rubber ring so it doesn't make any noise and won't fall again and just go back to your normal routine, if he eats fine, if he doesn't he'll eat in the morning. The more you placate him the worse it's going to get.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

i use a rubber/silicone pot holder under my metal bowls so they don't skid. i also found these wierd rubbery woven mats(small but like shelf liner) in the cheapy store that are sold to but under lamps and other items on wood furniture to prevent marking or skidding, they work well.also, you can try a heavier bowl(ceramic) bowl. jilly'sfullhouse said it all and don't baby and pamper, feed, close a gate and leave.

Edited by cleptogrey

Could also start by putting it just inside the kitchen and gradually moving it back to its regular location.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SaddleWags

He didn't come into the kitchen for breakfast. So no breakfast for him. Well see how dinner goes.

I like the gradual steps idea. I'll start that tomorrow, if jumping right in tonight doesn't work.

Poor guy, I can hear his tummy squeaking as I type this.

Try just setting the bowl right inside the kitchen for dinner, if he eats it, move it farther in the kitchen for breakfast tomorrow and continue doing that until you have his bowl back where it started. I think Batmom had a good idea with this one.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee