Could This Be Skin Cancer?

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Sigh. I DO NOT want to be posting about cancer, again. We just lost our beloved Sherman 2 weeks ago to bone cancer, and today I noticed suspicious spots on Patton.

We live in AZ. Both Sherman and Patton were/are sun doggies. They LOVE the sun. For the 6 years we have had them, they were always out lounging in their beds in the sun.

Sherman never had any suspicious spots on him, but I am a little concerned about Patton.

Patton will lay out in the sun all year. In the heat of the summer at high noon, to the winter sun, all day.

I know Patton has 2 nipples on either side of his waist, close to his manly bits. They have always been there. As long as I can remember. But, there are 2 new suspicious spots below them, that I cannot remember ever seeing. I just did nail trimming and ear cleaning on Friday, and I usually do a full body inspection - looking for any booboos, bug bumps, lumps, etc, and I can not remember ever seeing this. I have seen behavioral changes in the past 2 weeks; however, he's been in mourning - he really misses his brother.

Here are the photos. I know they are hard to see, but you can compare their size to my thumbnail. They are flat, but very dark in color, and irregular in shape. If they were on me, I'd be at the doctor immediately.

I am taking him to the vet this afternoon, but am I being an overactive mama, since we just lost Sherman, or is skin cancer a problem in greys, too? I have never heard of it in a pup, but I do not like the look of these stupid spots.

Patton is a red/dark/now grey brindle, with light fur barely covering his tummy.

Thanks

Its the 2 spots close together, the large and small one. The one all the way to the left side of your screen, is the nipple, (or at least a spot he's had his entire life.)

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Guest JackandMolly

Good Morning,

I'm new here, but being a cancer survivor, I wouldn't take any chances, have the vet check it out. You'll be relieved if it isn't and if it is, you've caught it early, Just my humble opinion

Guest ChasesMum

Chase had a black blood-blister looking thing, that we had removed with a local and sent for pathology. it was a hemangioma - a benign tumor. our vet said that likely its not hemangiosarcoma (the cancerous version) as the dogs they have seen with that had new black spots cropping up daily.

So, I would have the vet look, probably remove them, test them, and then you can rest.

agreed with all above. When it doubt, check it out.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

Goldie has had lots of those, being a former Florida dog. They were diagnosed as hemangiomas, which are benign, and they all disappeared on their own.

I agree with the others, though. Better safe than sorry, and I'd have this looked at, just to be safe. Sending lots of hugs and good thoughts!

As others have said it is something to check. However, will add that it looks a lot like my little hemangiomas. Some were there at birth. Others showed up later. The later ones started small, got bigger then smaller then bigger. Often they disappear sometimes to reappear again. Don't worry, but check it.

As others have said it is something to check. However, will add that it looks a lot like my little hemangiomas. Some were there at birth. Others showed up later. The later ones started small, got bigger then smaller then bigger. Often they disappear sometimes to reappear again. Don't worry, but check it.

That's what I thought too. Paul has very little fur on his underbelly and he gets these and they do go away on their own.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Yep.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Shermanator

Thanks. That makes me feel a little better in the meantime.

I'm taking Patton into the vet today. I'm still grieving over the death of Sherman, and want to hold onto Patton forever. :)

Guest ChasesMum

*hugs* the recent loss of Sherman is probably making this seem worse too... We lost our George to OS 3 years ago this past Feb and he had badly swollen legs at the end. Chase has one really swollen leg currently (most likely from the ehrlichiosis and maybe an immune issue) and its freaking me out - too close for comfort. right after we lost G, anytime Chase limped I freaked out. i still get twitchy...

Guest budsmom

Bud has a black spot on his belly that would be the really bad skin cancer in humans, but the vet told me it is almost always harmless in dogs. He said the only time he's seen it become a problem is if it's somewhere they don't have hair (nose, lips, etc). I freaked out when I found it, too, and off to the vet we went. I was so relieved when he told me what it was - did a FNA but didn't see anything to be concerned about. We're just watching it and if it changes will probably have it removed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is what Patton has, but I'm glad you're going to the vet. I always figure it's well worth it to me for the peace of mind!

Guest jettcricket

My Jett used to get those too....I did take him and have one biopsied. Turned out to be harmless, but like others have said, always best to have it checked out.

Guest Shermanator

It WAS bad.

We went to our super-savvy greyhound vet, who knows these dogs inside out, and upon his close inspection, he said it was a melanoma. He said that if we had let this go, it would have most likely turned malignant. (YIKES.) He removed it, and told me he removed it all, and @ 2cm around it, so he got good, clean margins. We caught it early enough, so he believes we'll be ok. Patton has several stitches, but otherwise is fine. I trust this vet 100%.

We go back for stitches removal in 10 days, and a check up.

I HATE CANCER. Period.

Did your vet send the tissue out for biopsy? There really is no way to tell by inspecting.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Shermanator

Vet said no. He got all of it, and would only send for biopsy if chemo and radiation would be options. For us, they are not. If for some devastating reason this cancer becomes worse or terminal, we will choose palliative care, only, like we did with Sherman. Its devastating, but I do not want to put Patton through that.

Reason I ask is, dogs get a LOT of funny spots that either aren't cancerous at all or are localized, nonmetastatic cancers -- the common cutaneous melanomas in dogs are very different from cutaneous melanomas in people.

Hopefully Patton's was one of those "eh, who cares" sorts of spots and it won't recur or cause any problems. :)

Guest jettcricket

Did your vet send the tissue out for biopsy? There really is no way to tell by inspecting.

Hmmm.....Jett's looked exactly like what you posted and like I said my vet did biopsy his and it turned out to be nothing. He got a couple more that did appear and they would fall off. I agree with Jey....but at least whatever it is is gone and he won't have any further problems.

Edited by jettcricket

Guest Shermanator

Reason I ask is, dogs get a LOT of funny spots that either aren't cancerous at all or are localized, nonmetastatic cancers -- the common cutaneous melanomas in dogs are very different from cutaneous melanomas in people.

Hopefully Patton's was one of those "eh, who cares" sorts of spots and it won't recur or cause any problems. :)

Thanks. :) That's why the vet didn't send for a biopsy. He is confident he got it all. He's very knowledgeable about greys, and understands what the hot AZ sun can do to you. I think he'll be ok. But, I do watch him like a hawk, and if I see anything suspicious, its back to the vet. :)

Guest kydie

Gald you had them checked out :nod Had mast cells removed in Dec, from my GSP, like you, I said not to even send them for biospy,, I was not doing radiation, which was the treatment of choice,, aftetr surgery,,, vet said, we had got it early and he knew he got it all, with clean margins,, I trusted him,, as he has been around the block ,, a lot,,, and if no further "lumps" appeared in 6 months, we were in the clear,,, we made it! No further lumps or bumps :cheers