Zero - Separation Anxiety

Hi All,

Zero's Daddy here. I have a question about Zero's behavior and how I can resolve it somehow. Whenever I leave Zero at home alone, I give him his frozen Kong with natural almond butter and another Kong ball stuffed with a couple carrot pieces and a biscuit. He is baby gated with double gates so that he only has access to my large bedroom a hallway and the guest bedroom. I live in a small ranch-style house and he only gets into trouble in the kitchen. Anyway, he does really well at home alone all day. When I get home, he barks and is very excited to see me.

The "issue" is that if I'm out mowing the lawn or doing anything near-by and Zero is in the house alone with the baby gates up, he totally freaks out. I can hear him barking non stop while I'm out side. He knows I'm out there and totally loses it. He used to see me through the window, but I tried closing the shades hoping that would somewhat calm his anxiety, but he just puts his head under the shade to look out the window anyway. Yesterday I was in the yard mowing and doing yard work for a couple hours and I'd have to say he barked non stop for an hour. I thought he would get tired and just lay down and go to sleep, but he was pretty relentless. When I have in from doing my yard work he was panting (obviously) and there was quite a bit of droop on the floor by his baby gate. He peed on my bedroom floor, which he never does while I'm at work and the baby gate was scratched and in one part it looked like it was slightly chewed.

This is not a new development. My lawn mower just got back from being repaired and I've had a lawn crew come over and mow my lawn for a while. Last Summer before my lawn mower broke he did the same thing. Also, I play in a band and we occasionally rehearse in the basement. I thought the noise would hurt his ears so I left him upstairs. I could hear him barking like crazy up there, this is when I only had one baby gate up. He jumped over the baby gate and managed to open the basement door and get downstairs. The noise doesn't seem to bother him, so now he just stays in the basement with the band while we rehearse.

So what do I do? As I said, he totally loses it if he's in one area and I'm in the other and he can't get to me. Normally he's a very quiet, mellow greyhound. I know I know, take him for a VERY long walk before I do yard work or whatever, right? I'll try it, but he is relentless if I'm outside doing stuff and he can't get to me. Give him a Kong? I'll try that too, but I think he'll ignore it. Just looking for suggestions here. I'm hoping that some of you have run into this problem. I just don't know how to resolve it. This brings up a major concern. I'm looking to sell my house and get an apartment. What will he act like there? Will he bark and freak out all day?

Help Greytalkers. You've been there for me in the past.

For those of you that were asking for pics of my baby:

DSC00005.jpg

P4050001.jpg

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest Samantha

:wub: gorgeous.

Yup Maddison stays at home alone no problem, but say my brother visits with me baby neice and we put Maddison in another room, she barks same if I hang washing out to dry I leave her in the kitchen ( otherwise she trys to "help" with the washing :rolleyes: ). Twice at my Moms house she has peed because she wasn't allowed in the room when my baby neice is crawling about. Yet when I am out there is no trouble.

I would say its because he is basically nosey and wants to be with you when your home, if they think there missing out on something there like children. I now take Maddison in the room on a leash and let her get aquainted with whats going on, after 5-10 minutes she is fine and lies down and doesnt bother. Same in the garden I take her out on the leash if I am doing something, let her see what Im doing then she is so uninterested she goes and lies down. Im sure they think your making or eating wonderful treats!! :lol:

I wouldnt worry about moving to a apartment, you say she is fine when alone, just when your home and doing something she is not involved in. I would try taking her and showing her what your doing and see if she lies down. When i mow the lawn my son holds her on her leash until she lies down, after about 10 minutes she is so uninterested she trots back in doors again :rolleyes:

Nosey hounds!

ETA She has never ever peed in the house only when she wants to know what is going on and is in another room.

Edited by Samantha

Yup Maddison stays at home alone no problem, but say my brother visits with me baby neice and we put Maddison in another room, she barks same if I hang washing out to dry I leave her in the kitchen ( otherwise she trys to "help" with the washing :rolleyes: ). Twice at my Moms house she has peed because she wasn't allowed in the room when my baby neice is crawling about. Yet when I am out there is no trouble.

I would say its because he is basically nosey and wants to be with you when your home, if they think there missing out on something there like children. I now take Maddison in the room on a leash and let her get aquainted with whats going on, after 5-10 minutes she is fine and lies down and doesnt bother. Same in the garden I take her out on the leash if I am doing something, let her see what Im doing then she is so uninterested she goes and lies down. Im sure they think your making or eating wonderful treats!! :lol:

I wouldnt worry about moving to a apartment, you say she is fine when alone, just when your home and doing something she is not involved in. I would try taking her and showing her what your doing and see if she lies down. When i mow the lawn my son holds her on her leash until she lies down, after about 10 minutes she is so uninterested she trots back in doors again :rolleyes:

Nosey hounds!

ETA She has never ever peed in the house only when she wants to know what is going on and is in another room.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Ummm, for the record Zero is a he :-)

Cheers,

Tony

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

I've got two that do this - If we actually leave the house and drive away in the car they're totally fine. They just lay down and go to sleep (I assume) with not a peep out of them. If I need to do yard work or something outside, Dude and Toni go nutso! Barking, whining, howling and finally starting a group roo.

You should try leaving him *exactly* like if you were going to work. Do the whole routine cause he'll know if you don't and it won't work. Otherwise, you might try putting him in an x-pen outside with you when you're mowing, or another area like a porch or deck where he can be safe yet still feel like he's outside with Dad.

As far as the apartment goes, there may be some backsliding in his SA when you move until he gets used to the new place and new routine. You should begin his alone training right away after you move. But I would say there shouldn't be too much howling otherwise since you won't be mowing the lawn!

He's such a cutie! Love the new pics!

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What I do is my favorite brand of alone training all over again. Take dog out for pee/poop. Go out in the yard for 2 minutes. Come back in for 2 minutes, ignoring dog. Go back out for 2 minutes. Come back in for 2 minutes, ignoring dog. Go out in yard for 5 minutes. Etc. 5-6 leavings over an hour, hour and a half, each day you can manage it. Usually after 4-5 rounds of this, *most* dogs get really really bored with the idea and lie down and take a nap.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Samantha

Nosey hounds!

Hi,

Cheers,

Tony

Oops I did say he twice then suddenly decided Zero was female :lol:

Everyone will have different ways of over coming this. I mother my greys a lot, I can't help myself.

sorry if i offended you by calling your handsome boy a she :unsure

Edited by Samantha

Guest 4dogscrazy

I put mine in the back yard when I am cutting the grass in the front. But I've been putting off doing some major landscaping out front because they do tend to carry on when they can't be near me if I'm home. I was thinking about buying an x-pen to put them in out front, that way they can still see me. Would that be possible for you?

I've got two that do this - If we actually leave the house and drive away in the car they're totally fine. They just lay down and go to sleep (I assume) with not a peep out of them. If I need to do yard work or something outside, Dude and Toni go nutso! Barking, whining, howling and finally starting a group roo.

You should try leaving him *exactly* like if you were going to work. Do the whole routine cause he'll know if you don't and it won't work. Otherwise, you might try putting him in an x-pen outside with you when you're mowing, or another area like a porch or deck where he can be safe yet still feel like he's outside with Dad.

As far as the apartment goes, there may be some backsliding in his SA when you move until he gets used to the new place and new routine. You should begin his alone training right away after you move. But I would say there shouldn't be too much howling otherwise since you won't be mowing the lawn!

He's such a cutie! Love the new pics!

Wow!! So I guess I'm not alone

What I do is my favorite brand of alone training all over again. Take dog out for pee/poop. Go out in the yard for 2 minutes. Come back in for 2 minutes, ignoring dog. Go back out for 2 minutes. Come back in for 2 minutes, ignoring dog. Go out in yard for 5 minutes. Etc. 5-6 leavings over an hour, hour and a half, each day you can manage it. Usually after 4-5 rounds of this, *most* dogs get really really bored with the idea and lie down and take a nap.

Great suggestion, thanks :-)

Nosey hounds!

Hi,

Cheers,

Tony

Oops I did say he twice then suddenly decided Zero was female :lol:

Everyone will have different ways of over coming this. I mother my greys a lot, I can't help myself.

sorry if i offended you by calling your handsome boy a she :unsure

no worries, my mother does it all the time when we visit her :-)

Edited by aryon92

Guest Wasserbuffel

I have the same issue with my grey. I'm working on doing just what Batmom suggested. Alone training for when we're nearby but she's not able to hang out with us. It's been working very well. Last Friday I was able to mow without hearing a sound from her.

Do you give Zero a Kong when you go out to do yard work? If not, it should keep him occupied...especially if you follow the exact same routine as when you leave for work.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest greytgrandma

Hot Rod is also a cry baby when Josh is outside or working on his car.Now when he works on his car he puts Hot Rod in the back seat and Hot Rod is happy and takes a nap. When he is mowing inside the fence he puts Hot Rods bed on the cement slab in the shade and Hot Rod just lays there and watches him mow. When he mows the front yard which isnt fenced Hot Rod is happy to be in his fenced back yard. Its chain link so he can see Josh mowing .If he is working in the basement then Hot Rod is down there with him. I guess the houndie is a bit spoiled, but he is a happy doggie that way :lol

When Hot Rod is here and Im mowing out back he can see me out the back storm door and is fine with no crying.

Guest jaws4evr

Well, can you try leaving him in the alone-space for very short times for a while? Like we're talking literally go out and shut teh door, and immediately come back inside and let him out? He's obviously associated being left there by himself with very negative feelings, so if you can slowly rebuild the "dad wont' be gone long" in his brain, you might get somewhere.

If it were me I'd try a long regimine of leaving and returning exercises, and nto increase the time farther than instant in-out until he's totally totally calm both when you leave and come back. Then increase it by a matter of five or ten seconds, with many many repetitions.

Also I'm sure you've heard this but when you do these leaving/coming home exercises, make sure you ignore him completely both when you leave, and when you come home. No hello, goodbye, good boy, bad boy, nothing. For teh first X amount of time before you leave and get home, pretend you have no dog. You're most likely goin to just feed his anxiety if you try to comfort it.

I've never medicated a pet but perhaps some doggy prozac could help his brain build some more positive habits with respect to being alone?