Tartar......scaling It Yourself?

Guest DoofBert

Guest DoofBert

Tessa (our 10 year old diva girl) has problem teeth. We're using Life for Teeth gel which has made a marked improvement (actually an amazing improvement).... we're also feeding turkey necks and tripe.

The vet recommends a dental (which I agree with) and suggests we learn how to scal e her teeth at home to add to the maintenance program....

My question... does any scale their hound's teeth?

I told vet that I'd need a lesson on proper technique.

Your thoughts??

I just bought a tooth scaler, but haven't used it yet. Figured I'd poke around on Google for instructions...

Basically I'm sure you just have to be careful not to scrape too hard, not to poke the gums, etc. Just like when you visit the dentist yourself.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest greytloves

I've been scaling for at least 10 years now on hounds past and present.

You have to be careful, patient and start with minimal time. After awhile you should be able to do a side at a time pretty quickly and I even have one dog that stays asleep while I do it!

My hounds only go for dentals at the vet once every 3 years or so. Saves lots of mula and peace of mind not having to have them being gassed once a year!

Edited by greytloves

I've considered doing this and even have a tooth scaler, but when I asked the vet about it she strongly recommended that I not do it. She said it's too easy to damage the enamel and leave nicks and dings where bacteria can get in and cause cavities. It often does more harm than good.

Then again, they make anywhere from $400 to $600 when I have to bring one of my dogs in for a dental, so....

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I've used a nickel (smooth edge rather than wavy like the other coins) to "flick" the tartar off before. I place the edge of the nickel at the gumline and flick it down so that a chunk of tartar breaks off. I don't scrape it on the teeth themselves. It doesn't get it all but it does get big chunks off. I was only ever able to do this to Bailey as Mr. Murphy doesn't tolerate me messing around with his mouth or feet.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Guest eaglflyt

The problem with scaling teeth yourself is that scaling scratches the surface enamel of the teeth, leaving grooves. Plaque collects much more quickly in these grooves, actually increasing the rate of tartar buildup. Teeth need to be polished after scaling to buff out any scratches or grooves in the tooth enamel. Also, it is very easy to injure a dog with a tooth scaler if they should move quickly. They are pointed and quite sharp. Be very careful.

We use Petzlife Oral Care Gel with awesome results. No need to scale here when using this product as directed. You can buy the 12 oz. refill for just $38.99 HERE.

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest mcsheltie

I've considered doing this and even have a tooth scaler, but when I asked the vet about it she strongly recommended that I not do it. She said it's too easy to damage the enamel and leave nicks and dings where bacteria can get in and cause cavities. It often does more harm than good.

Every vet I have had has said the same thing. I have to scale some of my client dogs. You can't show a dog with gummy teeth. And going under anesthesia will blow their coats. Many of my client dogs have had their teeth worked on by their owners or other handlers and I can see the damage from it.

It is really difficult not to scratch the enamel. That's why vet's use an ultra sonic scaler. One of my clients purchased one (at four grand :eek ) so now I have access to that. On the Greys I can do all the teeth. It can be hard to reach the inside molars of a resistant Sheltie tho!

If you use Petzlife for a month (religiously) you can flick off a lot of the tarter and not touch the enamel. Petzlife starts dissolving the tarter from the gumline down. So it helps a lot.

After you get the dental done Petzlife (or the product you are using) and feeding turkey necks 2-3 times a week should be enough maintenance.

Guest kydie

I'm a litttttttttle afraid to scale teeth, :blink: I brush and give lots of chews, and monitor teeh closley, my boy had his done 1 1/2 years ago and they still look good :)

I do it with my fingernails. Isis, Carmen and Steak all tolerate it for a while. Madi is too spooky to let me do it so I just make sure they all have raw meaty bones often enough so that it isn't so bad.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.