Walk Too Much

Guest TikiTime

Guest TikiTime

I had the day off and met my sister for a lunch walk with my greyhound. It was kind of warm and humid and the walk ended being longer then I expected. My boy got rather hot and we found some water but he was panting hard. My sister got her car and we got him in. He was like heated up bad. Now he has a blood when he pees and still panting. He feels better this morning but still blood. I was always told the three day time to wait to bring him in but does any one know what I dealing with? I really need help.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I would not wait three days. This sounds scary enough to warrant a vet visit asap. Even if it turns out to be something minor, better to find out now during weekday hours, than an emergency vet visit over the weekend.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Energy11

You are most likely dealing with heat STROKE, not exhaustion, and maybe some internal damage due to the above. I am not trying to scare you, but this IS a true medical emergency! Dogs AND humans cannot take this type of heat ... Yes, DO get him to the vet ASAP.

I hope he feels better soon!

Kidney issues are best not to be left to see what happens (they cannot regenerate like the liver).

Please take your dog to the vet - or call the E-vet and explain what's happened.

If it's Hyperacute Exertional Rhabdomyolyis it needs serious care.

John.

Owner of a Black Grey who overheats easily.

Prayers for you and your boy! sad1.gifhope.gif I'm so sorry this happened. Please update us when you talk to vet.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest hlpnhounds

I had the day off and met my sister for a lunch walk with my greyhound. It was kind of warm and humid and the walk ended being longer then I expected. My boy got rather hot and we found some water but he was panting hard. My sister got her car and we got him in. He was like heated up bad. Now he has a blood when he pees and still panting. He feels better this morning but still blood. I was always told the three day time to wait to bring him in but does any one know what I dealing with? I really need help.

You are likely dealing with heat stroke and this dog needs to be at the vet YESTERDAY.

Please don't take offense to this next section as I am getting the feeling that you just made a mistake and didn't know this situation could be a problem. So...

I also think that if people are going to tell someone to wait 3 days before taking a pet to the vet that they should also let them know in which instances this will be ok to do.

Limping without obvious injury or fracture---wait

Unable to walk or stand without support when the pet could before----go

Coughing/sneezing-wait

Restless, coughing, gagging, unproductive vomiting (when all are seen together)---go

Obviously overheated, panting, unable to get comforable enough to breathe normally even after cooling measures have been taken is a very dangerous situation---go

I'm sure that had you known your lunch with your sister and walk were going to be so long on such a hot and humid day you would have made other arrangements for your dog or would have been better prepared for the temperature.

I hope that all is well and that he recovers nicely.

Guest KennelMom

blood in urine...eek. Praying you got him to a vet and you can give us a good news update.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest TeddysMom

Tikitime, Please give us an update on your pup. I have been worrying since yesterday and it looks like a lot of others have been also. Keeping him and you in my prayers.

Tikitime, Please give us an update on your pup. I have been worrying since yesterday and it looks like a lot of others have been also. Keeping him and you in my prayers.

Same here!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest TeddysMom

I wish newbies would come back and give us an update. I have a tendency to worry when something like this happens and have a hard time not wondering all the time what happened, what it was and how the pup is. :(

Guest Energy11

I KNOW!!! They come on the board, asking for help and advice, which is GREAT, but they never let us know the outcome! MY GUT says, in this case, it wasn't good! sad.gif

Guest TeddysMom

I KNOW!!! They come on the board, asking for help and advice, which is GREAT, but they never let us know the outcome! MY GUT says, in this case, it wasn't good! sad.gif

This is one time I really hope you are wrong but I must admit that I didn't feel good about the outcome either. I have had dogs in FL get overheated but never to the point of blood in the urine. That is just really frightening. I tried to PM TikiTime but I guess you have to be on here for awhile before that works.

This is one time I really hope you are wrong but I must admit that I didn't feel good about the outcome either. I have had dogs in FL get overheated but never to the point of blood in the urine. That is just really frightening. I tried to PM TikiTime but I guess you have to be on here for awhile before that works.

Things like this make me wish PM's could happen right away rather than after 20 posts or whatever.