Chronic Renal Failure

Guest heidisue72

Guest heidisue72

My baby boy Timmy has been battling Valley Fever for almost 10 years. He takes Ketoconozole and Prednisone for is treatment. Recently i have noticed him shedding a lot more, thinner , and sleeping more. I took him to the vet for a full blood work-up and too my dismay he came back with abnormal labs. His Albumin was 2.3, Bun 56,and creat 3.2. The vet then ran a UA to check for protien in his urine. I got the call today. He does have moderate amounts of protein in his urine. However, Timmy continues to eat, drink, urinate, and poop normaly. He does not appear to be drinking more and peeing more. Everything seems the same as it always has been. Does anyone know good regiments/treatments that would help my boy. I do not want to see him suffer, and i want him to be happy and pain free for the rest of his days. Any suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks so much for reading about my furkid. He is truely my best friend.

My Shelby doesn't have VF but does have "old age" kidneys. She had moderate protein in her urine and a low specific gravity (meaning the urine was dilute). Her blood work was okay though.

Dr. Couto recommended the following:

1) do a culture to ensure it wasn't an infection (which can cause the protein and dilute urine apparently)

2) do a protein/creatinine ratio

3) keep an eye on her blood pressure (high blood pressure can cause stress on the kidneys)

4) put her on a low phosphorous and low protein diet.

5) check for protein in the urine about 4 weeks after a diet change

She did not have an infection or high blood pressure. We tried Purina NF and it reduced the protein in her urine but caused her diarrhea. We switched to a less aggressive kidney diet (Eukanuba Early Stage Renal) which still reduced her protein but helped firm up her stools to "pudding" consistency. I am looking into a homemade diet that might agree better with her digestive system. The key is reducing phosphorous (found especially in meat products but also dairy and eggs), and protein. There are two schools of thought. One is to immediately reduce both phosphorous and protein. The other is to focus on reducing just phosphorous in the early stages.

You can probably find out much more by asking questions in the Diet Forum.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

Dr Jean Dodds at Hemopet was very helpful in suggesting food for Niña with her liver abnormalities. She will review the lab results for you too. here

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Dr Jean Dodds at Hemopet was very helpful in suggesting food for Niña with her liver abnormalities. She will review the lab results for you too. here

Jean has always been a great help for all my pups as well. I've had several with kidney disease and liver issues. And she sure is versed on VF

Someone already mentioned, low phosphorus, low protein diet.

How much Pred is he on? As much as it's needed, that can be the cilprit to the icrease in Creat and BUN

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Here is my favorite linky on kidney issues: Dogaware - kidneys. The goal is to reduce phosphorus levels & feed high-quality protein. Supplements like fish-body oil are renal protective.

Hopefully you've found this early & can manage Timmy's levels for a long while.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest heidisue72

thank you for the resources and information. I will be talking with my vet in the morning to figure out a treatment plan.