Heartguard - Accidental Double Dose A Few Days Apart

My wife told me a few days ago to give Maya (60 lb female grey) her meds. I applied the Frontline Plus and then gave her the HeartGuard. But tonight while in bed, my wife told me that she gave Maya her HeartGuard this afternoon. (I guess she only meant for me to give her the flea/tick meds, not everything.)

Should we worry? There were probably 7-9 days between doses, the one I gave her and the one my wife gave her today.

Thoughts?

-Joel

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

Back in the day I told my vet I flat out couldn't remember if I had given Chelsea her HW meds--they were pills in a bottle. He said no prob-just give her another. I'm only telling you this because its late and I don't know if the med gurus are still up. Also it was just for HW-no other parasites.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I would think you're fine.

The amounts of Ivermectin and Pyrantel in the Heartguard is less then given in race kennels. So a double dose of Heartguard might equal the usual amount given in racing kennels.

Edited by GreysAndMoreGreys

A vet-tech friend of mine once told me that she had a dog that ate a whole package (6 doses) at once. The vet said that the dog would be fine -- and she was. Hope this sets your mind at ease.

I was told the same thing.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest KennelMom

No need to worry. The commercially produced hw preventions have really small doses of things you have to give a whole lot of to cause any problems.

I think the only time you'd need to worry about a high dose of ivermectin (which is in Heart Gard) is if your dog is prone to seizures. And even then, you'd have to give something like 10x the normal dose, so a doubled dose is really no sweat :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks for your replies! Y'all are fantastic!!!

-Joel

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

• 10 years later...