Found Out Just How Non-Thunder Reactive Jayne Is.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Guest Wasserbuffel

This last weekend the forcast was for clear and dry. So, I decided to do my planned tent training with Jayne. We camp for a week every year around Independence Day. I wanted to get her used to sleeping in a tent in the safety of our fenced yard before we went up this year.

When we went to bed the skies were a bit gray, but it didn't seem too bad. A couple hours later, the tent was flapping in the violent winds, it was pouring rain and there was lots of thunder and lightning. Jayne was laying on her bed with her head flopped off it and on the tent floor. The tent wall hit her in the face a couple times and she didn't react. She raised her head only when the flapping jingled my keys, and then just to identify the sound.

The tent decided to leak on us a bit, so I decided we would go inside as soon as the rain let up. It wasn't much of a leak, so I thought. After a while Jayne stood up and repositioned herself on her bed. Before laying back down, she started scratching her face. It got my attention when she kept scratching for longer than usual. I reached out to see if I could help her. My hand met a very soggy dog face. It seems the tent had been leaking longer than I though. While I was dry, she had been laying with her face in a puddle.

Needless to say, we were both very glad to get back into the house and sleep in our own beds.

I learned that my houndie is even less reactive in storms than I could ever have imagined, and that she's too darned lazy to move her head when her face is being soaked while she sleeps. Things look good for camping. She will be sleeping with her harness on and leashed to me, just in case of any midnight panic attacks that would cause her to tear through the tent (hoping not, but better safe than sorry).

Wow, I'm impressed! I'm afraid Bebe would have had a heart attack!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

That's a great report (well not as a pleasant overnight experience)! I think Beth would have been the same way, though she's never been in a tent. It's a big relief, isn't it? Can't wait to see pics of Jayne cozied down in her home away from home!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Wow, I'm impressed! I'm afraid Bebe would have had a heart attack!

Lenny and Wayne too sad.gif

Good girl Jayne

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest TheDoggfather

That's pretty funny :)

Thing to remember is that greyhound pups from 3 months to 12 months are raised in outside runs 24/7 until they're ready to begin their training. Some obviously deal with weather issues betterthan others, but, it's not something that's foreign to them. I wouldn't doubt for a second that Jayne spent many thunderstoms laying out under the skies with rain falling all over her :)

Guest Wasserbuffel

You make a good point Doggfather, I was only really just trying her in the tent, which is something completely new. I already knew she did well with thunder and lightning, but the added flapping of the tent and all-around strangeness of sleeping in one might be enough to scare any dog! smile.gif

Guest GreyFan09

Thunder and lightning don't bother Comet one bit. I was a little worried about this when we first got him after reading stories about dogs that needed meds to deal with storms, but he doesn't seem to notice them at all (so long as he doesn't have to go out in the rain) lol.gif.

We are taking him on his first camping trip at the end of June and he will be sleeping in our tent, so this will be an adventure for all of us.

Guest LindsaySF
she's too darned lazy to move her head when her face is being soaked while she sleeps.

lol.giflol.gif

Teagan isn't afraid of thunder, but he has a phobia of things falling on him, things flapping, etc. He would have totally flipped out if the tent was flapping like that! eek.gif

Your Jayne is one amazing doggie, isn't she? :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.