Recovery After A Seizure

Guest feathersprings

Guest feathersprings

My Greyhound , Draco ( almost 5 yrs old) , had a seizure on the 13th of this month,a Grand Mal that lasted 2-3 minutes. He had never had a seizure before that we know of. We took him to the vet the following morning and had some tests run and everything looked good except his Creatinine levels are high so we will retest in a while. She decided not to put him on meds unless there were further seizures. My question is about his recovery.. he has had a real loss of appetite and has lost weight.. I am now getting him to eat more buy cooking him food and mixing with his kibble. He still , after all this time, seems like at times he doesnt hear me has trouble getting up and down, shakesa and seems like a very old dog, looks confused ( not like after the seizure though) He also gets very concerned when out other Grey growls at him.. which she has always done! He used to just ignore her and go about his business but now seems intimidated. I keep close watch on them to make sure we dont have a problem with that. What is the most noticable is his lack of enthusiasm.. once a very playful energetic boy he is just sad to watch now :( From things I had read I was of the opinion that they would bounce back sooner. I was worried about brain damage but all I am reading says that the length of the seizure would indicate it probably wouldnt cause that. At times I have wondered if he is having smaller seizures I am not aware of.. He will lay there and just be really non responsive.. but no movement or excessive drooling but his eyes dont look right, but then he just doesnt look right to me these days anyway. I am just so sad writing this... I barely recoginise him like this ...

Guest Energy11

Sooo sorry to hear about this. Almost does sound like some amount of brain damage. He could have had a stroke as well.

My Curfew has brain damage, *I think stroke, vets/ seizure(s), but he seems more "developmentally disable," in that, he will sit on the bed and cry, and WE have to figure out what he needs. He will also have to be "lured" outside when we know it is time for him to poop. All of this is only at night, though.

The other thing you could be looking at, is kidney failure, which will effect the appetite, weight, and cause mental confusioin. I would get labs done again asap, and tell the vet just what you told us, and go from there.

Sending you love, hugs and prayers! Dee and The Five, ... Especially, Curfew!

Guest LindsaySF

Sophie has seizures. I know all seizure dogs are different, but it's been 14 days, I would expect to see some improvement by now. If you don't think he's getting any better, or he seems more confused, wobbly, etc, I would bring him to the vet and have them run some tests. He could have an infection or other problem that caused his seizure and is causing his other symptoms. He might also be having additional seizures when you aren't there. If your vet notices some problems with him, you might consider consulting with a neurologist as well. Good luck. :goodluck

~Lindsay~

I agree with Lindsay, he should have bounced back by now. I'd be concerned that there is something neurologically going on causing the seizures. I'd definitely see a neurologist.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest feathersprings

Sophie has seizures. I know all seizure dogs are different, but it's been 14 days, I would expect to see some improvement by now. If you don't think he's getting any better, or he seems more confused, wobbly, etc, I would bring him to the vet and have them run some tests. He could have an infection or other problem that caused his seizure and is causing his other symptoms. He might also be having additional seizures when you aren't there. If your vet notices some problems with him, you might consider consulting with a neurologist as well. Good luck. :goodluck

~Lindsay~

Thanks Lindsay, We are really with him all the time so if he was having seizures of any magnitude I would know.. he also sleeps in my room at night, outside only for minutes at a time to go potty., so if the sort of spacy non responsive thing is some sort of seizure that might be contributing but it doesnt really seem like a seizure. The kind of tests you mention were already dont and he came back clear for infection etc. With the exception of creatinin level everything was well within range for his breed. I wont let it go very much longer to see if we have some improvement...

Guest feathersprings

Sooo sorry to hear about this. Almost does sound like some amount of brain damage. He could have had a stroke as well.

My Curfew has brain damage, *I think stroke, vets/ seizure(s), but he seems more "developmentally disable," in that, he will sit on the bed and cry, and WE have to figure out what he needs. He will also have to be "lured" outside when we know it is time for him to poop. All of this is only at night, though.

The other thing you could be looking at, is kidney failure, which will effect the appetite, weight, and cause mental confusioin. I would get labs done again asap, and tell the vet just what you told us, and go from there.

Sending you love, hugs and prayers! Dee and The Five, ... Especially, Curfew!

Poor Curfew... love your Grey pictures :) right now when i ask Draco if he wants to go out he will ignore me and then a few minutes later come an ask to go out.. same with eating...like it takes a while to "get it" His tests for kidney were high but she wasnt that concerned yet but thought it might be good to put him on a low protien food ( I havent done this as I cant get him to eat properly as it is) His urine output is good though he is drinking more water. Thyroid is fine and she doesnt think cushings.. Once he is up and on his feet he is getting around ok.. just not in the normal athletic manner i am used to.. we were walkinh 3 miles 3 times a week until this point.

Even when Saint has his grand mal seizures, he recovers in about an hour so for your boy to still behaving like this is not the norm for seizure dogs. I'd really want him to have a good neuro check. It's not a suggestion I make with most seizure dogs but something just doesn't seem right.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest feathersprings

Even when Saint has his grand mal seizures, he recovers in about an hour so for your boy to still behaving like this is not the norm for seizure dogs. I'd really want him to have a good neuro check. It's not a suggestion I make with most seizure dogs but something just doesn't seem right.

I will put in a call to my vet in the morning ...

It sounds like, at this point, he needs to see a neurologist. I hope you can get him in to see one quickly.

Please let us know what the vet says.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest feathersprings

It sounds like, at this point, he needs to see a neurologist. I hope you can get him in to see one quickly.

Please let us know what the vet says.

I sure will, we wont have a neurologist here locally as we are pretty remote so will have to figure out where to go..

It doesn't sound like a normal recovery from a seizure. Is it possible he had a stroke, bloodclot, or other brain problem?? You might need to have a CT scan or MRI to find the root problem since bloodwork probably won't show anything structural that's wrong.

Please let us know how things go with your boy!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Have you had him tested for the full panel of TBD?

Some can cause seizures in advanced stages.

Most dogs rebound from a seizure in a few hours. So I would have to agree with others that the reactions you are seeing are not delayed and continuing side effects from a seizure.