Vomiting After Anesthesia

Spencer had a dental today, anesthetized using propofal and isofluorane. No extractions and they said it went fine. He was done by 11:30 and I picked him up at 4:00. At 4:30 he was breathing 240 times per minute, for 15 minutes. Then down to 60. Gum color red, settled back to lighter red. Vet's office said not to worry about the fact that he started vomiting bile and water. Said to restrict his water to 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time. They said this was not unusual after anesthesia. Well, it's 7:30 now and he just vomited again. (He doesn't want food.)

Is there anything I can give him to settle his stomach enough to keep water down? I can tell that thick saliva, probably with acid, builds up in his mouth and drools out a few minutes before he vomits. Would Pepto Bismol help, or Pepcid?

This has been the day from hell -- I'll skip the non-dog details -- and I'm not feeling very resourceful. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Is this really normal?! He's never done it before.

Update 10:15 -- restricting water to nearly none, he stopped vomiting. Just had a couple swallows and retched but didn't vomit. I'm afraid to even give him his thyroid pill. I'm afraid to go to bed too, but I have to. Maybe I'll call the ER vets and see if they can advise something simple over the phone.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

How is Spencer this morning?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Hoping Spencer is better today!

I know of a few people who freeze Gatorade into ice cubes and offer after vomiting.

Yesterday, when Staggerlee was having stomach/vomiting issues, (*not anesthesia related), I gave him a popsicle. Stayed down, and he loved it!

Anything anesthesia is involved, your vet's advice is THE BEST!

Sending many hugs!

So far, so good this morning.

I called the ER vet and talked to the overnight tech, a very nice guy. He didn't give the okay for Pepto, Pepcid, anything. He said to withhold water last night, since he wasn't keeping it down, and offer a small amount this a.m. I did that a half hour ago, and everything is still fine! colgate.gif Then he said to slowly start offering food and see how that goes. He said if he vomited again last night, to call him back; and if he vomited this a.m., to see the vet.

DH slept on the couch for half the night, long enough to determine that Spencer was comfortable.

I'm thanking doG that yesterday is over and am determinedly hopeful about today! Part of Spencer's problem, I suspect, was that he came home to find that all the trees in the hard had been "pruned" -- the Pacific NW, pruning 60-foot trees is a lot of pruning -- and the bottoms raised, and three rotting 60-foot birches removed entirely. It changes the light, and there were the smells of five strange men everywhere. eek.gif We're in mourning for our lost trees -- there was no choice sad.gif -- and yesterday was very hard on everybody. I thought Spencer would be lucky to stay at the vet for a few hours after his dental and not have to listen to three chainsaws and a chipper! He was fed at the vet's two hours after recovery, and I picked him up about 2-3 hours after that, and he was fine until he got home to his altered landscape. unsure.gif Plus, as the vet said, he's 9 years old. And an IBD dog. They gave him his tylosin and budesonide (both in capsules) at the vet with his food, and maybe that was harsh after a 16-hour fast and a dental.

Man, am I going to become better at greyhound oral hygiene! Spencer has some gum recission and exposed roots, and I don't want him (or me) going through this at age 10!

Thanks so much for your support and suggestions. The vet tech at our vet's office had mentioned putting ice cubes in with his water, to slow him down, on the theory he was drinking too much too fast. But I think the plain ice cube idea would have been better. I keep meaning to get Gatorade to have on hand! Are there any flavors that greys seem to prefer or dislike? Thanks again!

ETA: 10:00 and he has kept his food down for an hour! yay.gif

ETA: Noon. It occurs to me I should add that Spencer received IV fluids during the dental, so his drinking water wasn't due to thirst, so removing his water overnight wasn't going to harm him. Don't want to give any newbies that idea that restricting water over night is a thing to be done lightly!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

So far, so good this morning.

I called the ER vet and talked to the overnight tech, a very nice guy. He didn't give the okay for Pepto, Pepcid, anything. He said to withhold water last night, since he wasn't keeping it down, and offer a small amount this a.m. I did that a half hour ago, and everything is still fine! colgate.gif Then he said to slowly start offering food and see how that goes. He said if he vomited again last night, to call him back; and if he vomited this a.m., to see the vet.

DH slept on the couch for half the night, long enough to determine that Spencer was comfortable.

I'm thanking doG that yesterday is over and am determinedly hopeful about today! Part of Spencer's problem, I suspect, was that he came home to find that all the trees in the hard had been "pruned" -- the Pacific NW, pruning 60-foot trees is a lot of pruning -- and the bottoms raised, and three rotting 60-foot birches removed entirely. It changes the light, and there were the smells of five strange men everywhere. eek.gif We're in mourning for our lost trees -- there was no choice sad.gif -- and yesterday was very hard on everybody. I thought Spencer would be lucky to stay at the vet for a few hours after his dental and not have to listen to three chainsaws and a chipper! He was fed at the vet's two hours after recovery, and I picked him up about 2-3 hours after that, and he was fine until he got home to his altered landscape. unsure.gif Plus, as the vet said, he's 9 years old. And an IBD dog. They gave him his tylosin and budesonide (both in capsules) at the vet with his food, and maybe that was harsh after a 16-hour fast and a dental.

Man, am I going to become better at greyhound oral hygiene! Spencer has some gum recission and exposed roots, and I don't want him (or me) going through this at age 10!

Thanks so much for your support and suggestions. The vet tech at our vet's office had mentioned putting ice cubes in with his water, to slow him down, on the theory he was drinking too much too fast. But I think the plain ice cube idea would have been better. I keep meaning to get Gatorade to have on hand! Are there any flavors that greys seem to prefer or dislike? Thanks again!

Good update! Sorry about your trees, too~

Mine seem to like the fruit punch flavor of Gatorade. I usually mix it 50/50 with their water, and yes, you can freeze it the same way. That stuff is a msut to have in the house, for you humans, too! :-))

Hugs to all of you!

Glad to hear things are much better today. Poor Spencer was just overwhelmed - surgery, no trees, etc. I know we are pretty zealous with Opie's teeth - they get brushed daily, and he gets a turkey neck piece. Going to the vet this month for his annual, so will see what she says about his teeth.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest Stripeyfan

Only just seeing this - poor Spencer! No advice to give as our problems have all been at the other end so far but I'm so glad he's feeling better. Hugs to all of you. :grouphug :grouphug