Greyhounds And The Heat...

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

Italy has always been more of a fan of cold weather than hot weather. She doesn't have a problem with 5 degree weather and won't even wear her coats when it's freezing cold out. But once it hits 70 she's panting up a storm. My question is this. We spend a lot of time on our deck in direct sunlight. We'll leave the deck door cracked so she can get in and out, but she just stays out there with us and lays on her outdoor bed just panting up a storm. If she gets TOO hot, she obviously knows to go in where it's cool right?

Guest SuperiorItaly

And sometimes if we're out there for a while and it's 85 degrees and sunny, I'll go get a cold wet towel and drape it over her.

I just don't want her to have a heat stroke thinking she has to be out there with us, but she seems to like it even though she pants non-stop.

Guest Energy11

These dogs FEEL THE HEAT! Mine take directly after me! I think summer should be abolished, personally!

MINE love to go out in their pen which is partially shaded and lie down, but I only let them out for about five to ten minutes, TOPS, because just don't seem to know when to come in! They will fall asleep out there, and, yes, I do think they could become heat exhausted out there.

To be honest, I restrict their outside time in this heat, to early mornings and later evenings, except to potty. We took a short walk around the property today, at 9 a.m. and they were beat.

I'd be careful with Italy, or ANY GH, in the summer heat and humidity. You can also add Gatorade 50/50 to their water to help keep them hydrated.

Good Luck, and pray for SNOW! snow.gifsnow.gif

Edited by Energy11

Guest Lovemyhound

I think I would try to find a way to provide some shade. My pups always gravitate to the shady spots in the yard - thank heavens we have some! Maybe a little umbrella of sorts? If the shade is unavailable - how bout puttin out a little baby pool? My fur-kids will lay all the way down in it! They seem to love it - it seems like it would be frreeeeeezzing to me!! :lol

(...shameless pictures of my pups!... :blush )

P5011100.jpg

my recent foster, also enjoying the water..

P5011101.jpg

P5011113.jpg

:)

Guest SuperiorItaly

I think I would try to find a way to provide some shade. My pups always gravitate to the shady spots in the yard - thank heavens we have some! Maybe a little umbrella of sorts? If the shade is unavailable - how bout puttin out a little baby pool? My fur-kids will lay all the way down in it! They seem to love it - it seems like it would be frreeeeeezzing to me!! :lol

(...shameless pictures of my pups!... :blush )

P5011100.jpg

my recent foster, also enjoying the water..

P5011101.jpg

P5011113.jpg

:)

Thanks! I would love to have a baby pool on the deck for them, but I don't have an outdoor water hook-up and don't really want to run a hose through my house. She does lay in the shade when she's out there and I always put her bed in the shade.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If you want to cool your girl off, cool water in the armpits and the paws are where it will help her to cool off. The inner thighs are where the main blood supply is closest to the skin, and the paws are where they actually have a type of heat transfer system (since they cant sweat), this is why you may see a hot greyhound stand in water, my boy Bart does this, he wont lay in the pool I purchased for him. My other two love to lay in the pool, but Bart, nope.

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Fletcher, despite being an Arizona dog his whole life, has become much more sensitive to the heat as he has gotten older. We pretty much don't walk if it is over 80, even though we don't have to deal with the humidity. The girls don't seem to be as sensitive, but don't voluntarily spend much time outside, either. I really need to get them a new pool lol.gif

Guest Energy11

Ya know, we used to have the pools in Florida. I have to get to "Wally-World" and get pools again! They LOVED them in Florida, and because this stinkin' "Summer," ... we had no Spring, is hotter than it has been since we moved here... (**heat follows me!***), I think a pool(s) would be in order!

Thanks for the idea!

I moved to Arizona from Ohio and thankfully all my dogs have adjusted well to the heat! They go outside and will stay out and bake in the sun even if it's 100 degrees outside, so I have to watch and limit them. I keep my air at 85 in the summer and they don't even seem to notice that it's warmish in the house! I make sure that they have lots of cold clean water to drink inside and out and I do monitor their time out in the heat. We spend time on our deck, but it's covered and they lay in the shade.

Maybe you could put a tarp up on a corner of your deck to give the dogs some shade?

I don't think they always know enough to go in when it's hot outside.

Wayne would always come out with me and even thought he was on his chair, under his umbrella, I would bring him in because if I was out in the yard and the temp was 110+, he would stay out there as long as I did.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest GreysieAndMe

I need thoughts on doggie backpacks & booties. I just got my first Grey this Saturday. Of course I have surfed the internet & read a few books on Greyhounds but I figure the best advice I could get would come from a forum like this one. I'm glad I stumbled upon it! I just adopted a 7 year old GH named Greysie on Saturday.I walked her for a longer walk today & noticed she was limping. I looked at her pads & they look raw. Obviously I saw all your comments about just keeping the long walks to a minimum but will I need to get some booties for her feet or will they toughen up? Next question is about backpacks. I was looking online & all I'm able to find is huge bulky ones. I'm just looking for one so I can carry some doggie bags, a travel bowl & house keys. I also carry a little thing of insect repellent just in case we run into a not so friendly loose dog. Oh I also found a website that sells "Greyhound cooling bandanas". Greysie was pretty hot this morning when we went out & was just wondering if anyone has used the bandanas & if they are any good? I live in Florida.

Guest Stripeyfan

This works well for Kelly...Doggie Sun Lounger He will go and sunbathe on the grass and start panting like mad too. It got to 82 here this weekend (hot for the UK! :P ) so I made sure he stayed in the shade, had bowls of water placed round the yard and had fans going inside.

Guest Shermanator

My darlings are Arizona doggies, and they love the sun. Both of them in the height of the summer will lay in the 110 heat, in the sun, for about 10 minutes. On the super hot fake grass (hey- its the desert, I refuse to water real grass). They they go inside and lay on the cold tile for about 30 min, and then repeat the process. All day long. :blink: We have a doggie door, so we do not restrict them. They are going into their 7th summer with us, and have never had a problem.

They want nothing to do with the kiddie pool. I've tried several times, they they're not having it. B)

We stop regular walks in the morning, or late at night, when the nighttime temps are over 90. If they seem to be overheated after a walk, I'll dunk their paws in water, and mist them down with water to help cool them off. If they're absolutely nuts for a walk, and its too hot for my liking, I completely hose them down before the walk. When we get home within 20 minutes, they are bone dry.

Edited by Shermanator

I bought a baby pool for lexie and she never used it..lol so all m yneighbors see this pool in my yard and wonder why i have it cause all my kids are grown..lol Lexie digs under an evergreen and likes to lay there..lol

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest sriddle13

For my other dog I purchase a ruff wear swamp cooler. It is like a jacket, but you wet it down. I run with my dog and it helped a lot last summer when we were running in the warmer weather. You need to make sure you keep a lot of water around when you are using it so you can "recharge" it as needed. I am planning on getting one for my greyhound as soon as I find the cheapest place to order it.

Guest SuperiorItaly

For my other dog I purchase a ruff wear swamp cooler. It is like a jacket, but you wet it down. I run with my dog and it helped a lot last summer when we were running in the warmer weather. You need to make sure you keep a lot of water around when you are using it so you can "recharge" it as needed. I am planning on getting one for my greyhound as soon as I find the cheapest place to order it.

Thanks! I was just going to ask about that. Our dog boutique place has something like that and I was thinking about getting it.

Guest sirsmom

Ours, also stand in any stream or body of water they can find while we are walking the trails at the park. It seems to give them a second wind to continue on.

Guest carmasims

I need thoughts on doggie backpacks & booties. I just got my first Grey this Saturday. Of course I have surfed the internet & read a few books on Greyhounds but I figure the best advice I could get would come from a forum like this one. I'm glad I stumbled upon it! I just adopted a 7 year old GH named Greysie on Saturday.I walked her for a longer walk today & noticed she was limping. I looked at her pads & they look raw. Obviously I saw all your comments about just keeping the long walks to a minimum but will I need to get some booties for her feet or will they toughen up? Next question is about backpacks. I was looking online & all I'm able to find is huge bulky ones. I'm just looking for one so I can carry some doggie bags, a travel bowl & house keys. I also carry a little thing of insect repellent just in case we run into a not so friendly loose dog. Oh I also found a website that sells "Greyhound cooling bandanas". Greysie was pretty hot this morning when we went out & was just wondering if anyone has used the bandanas & if they are any good? I live in Florida.

hi and welcome! congrats on adopting greysie. :)

her paw pads will be fine, they'll just need some time to toughen up -- they've only ever been used to walking on sand or soft surfaces - imagine walking barefoot on the pavement yourself for a long way! OUCH! ;)

so - i'd say just take it easy for a bit- try to walk her on grass or dirt for short periods until they heal up a bit and then short walks on the pavement until they're conditioned up!

again - welcome to GT and many congrats! by the way -- you'll get more replies if you start your own threads with your questions -- sometimes with so many people, your post can get lost in a thread that is talking about something a bit different!

Guest greyt2love

Wayne would always come out with me and even thought he was on his chair, under his umbrella, I would bring him in because if I was out in the yard and the temp was 110+, he would stay out there as long as I did.

Oh, Claudia, do you have a picture of this ?? My mental pic Of Wayne lounging in his chair is making me laugh here at work !!!! Under the umbrella, drink and snacks at hand....please say you have a picture !!!!!cool.gifcolgate.gif

Guest eaglflyt

Ady Bea will absolutely *wilt* when we take her out if it's 70 degrees or above. When we take her out to her big turnout, many times she will just drop and lay on the ground ... even before relieving herself to potty. She looks pitiful as if we are trying to bake her. She loves running and playing in the snow and ice, but thinks it's abuse when it gets to 70 degrees F. We keep a small child's pool filled with water and lots of drinking water for her and keep her potty breaks very short whenever it's warm outside. She's black, so I think that may make it worse for her when out in the sunshine. She prefers the 30 - 50 degree temperature range. :blink:

Yeah, Fletcher will stay outside as long as I am out (and go in when I go in, and come back out...) and, he will lay in the sun! Silly dog rolleyes.gif I do make him move to the shade or his pool if it's hot. This morning we just went around the block, it was in the 70's, and everybody was pretty beat when we got home.

Guest LindsaySF

My dogs want to be with me. They will stay in the sun if I'm there, even if it's not good for them.

I would find a way to provide some shade on your deck. Can you get an umbrella or pop-up canopy? Also, I prefer to hose down the dogs and let the water evaporate (like Chad said, concentrate on their feet and their undercarriage). Cooling coats or wet towels can actually trap the heat and hold it in.

Good luck!