Fresh Blood In Stool

Guest GunnyGirl

Guest GunnyGirl

This year has not been real good to us so far. Between me, DBF, Gunny, the vehicles, computer problems...2010 can end any time.

Gunny's infection site has opened again, we've been fighting this for quite a long time. The last tests showed nasty staph and strep infections. We get her on strong antibiotics and it heals up. Eating good (unless on the antibiotics, I think they make her feel icky), lots of energy, everything is fine. Well, this time, on top of the infection, now she has some blood in her stool. She doesn't have total diarrhea, there is some formation, but there is definitely fresh blood in it and drops of blood around the poop area (I know cause she had an accident in the basement last night). Her weight is good. I know a lot of things can cause fresh blood in the stool, but of course I'm concerned. We're going to the vet on Saturday morning and I'll take a stool sample.

Any experience with this? I'm sure someone does. I do know we bought some new cookies and maybe its an intestinal irritation from that. I have researched online and know it could be worms of some sort, or the intestinal irritation but also cancer was mentioned. I have "cancer-head" ever since going through my cancer and it extends to DBF and the dog too. :unsure

Tell me about your experiences, if you have any.

Thanks,

Edited by GunnyGirl

Guest Stripeyfan

If she is energetic and maintaing a good weight it 's probably NOT anything sinister. Irritation in the GI tract from the antibiotics is very likely, esp. if the dose is high and she's been on them for a while. If she can have it, have you tried slippery elm? It's a natural remedy (tree bark powder) that coats the insides of the intestines and soothes them. We're giving capsules to Kelly at the moment because he's on pred and oxytetracycline for IBD, both of which are very hard on the stomach and intestines. It may also be a good idea to put her on a bland, limited ingredient bland diet for a while to settle her system. Kelly can only eat chicken and rice (NOTHING else or he flares up), so we use the cooked chicken for training and treats as well as meals - no cookies for him unfortunately!

Sorry you are having such a rough time, I really hope it turns out to be nothing serious. Sending lots of :grouphug to all of you!

Edited by Stripeyfan

I second (or third) the irritation response. Our Maggie-Mae scared us one winter morning by depositing what appeared to be massive quantities of blood (it wasn't) on the beautiful blanket of white snow. The red against the white was very frightening. Hers was due to an upset digestive track. Vet put her on sulcrate to coat the insides and a pill for acid build up. Within a couple of days she was much better. I think when the blood is dark and looks like coffee grounds it is worse than bright red.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Guest Energy11

..."I think when the blood is dark and looks like coffee grounds it is worse than bright red. ..."

The Dark Tary blood that sometimes looks like coffee grounds IS MUCH WORSE than the bright red blood.

The red blood is most likely from a lower GI irritation, worms, and/or excessive antibiotics

Guest GunnyGirl

Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts. I never thought it could be the antibiotics, as she isn't on them constantly, but it very well could be anyway as they are strong and she's on them a good 10 days - 4 capsules a day. And yes, from what I've been reading, the red blood isn't as scary as the black, tarry stools, which hers are not.

Off to the vet on Saturday.

Guest SoulsMom

Just keep an eye on it . . .Soul's started out that way then he started bleeding more and more and had to be hospitalized. We still don't know what caused his GI bleeding, but he has to be on a special diet or he relapses. I think if I had gotten him to the Flagyl sooner he wouldn't have gotten that bad. If it continues I'd see the vet. And yes, antibiotics can irritate the tummy, my vet is now VERY careful anytime Soul has to go on them.