Dewclaw Destruction

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

My darling Sherman broke his dewclaw. We were on vacation! and not 10 minutes after we arrived at the beach house, Sherman barreled up the stairs and promptly broke a dewclaw, under the nailbed. OUCH. Within 30 minutes of arriving to our vacation destination, we were in the local evet.

Fortunately, he only broke it, so they removed the broken part, and cleaned the edges. Thank goodness he did not tear it, requiring stitches. :)

They told me it would grow back, but it will grow back funky. Is this something to expect? Will it be strong again, and misshapen, or will this nail be weak, and continue to be a problem?

My poor, stoic Sherman never whimpered. Bless him, he his an angel. If this was his brother, he would have screamed like there was no tomorrow.

Thanks!

I would think that it will probably grow back strong but at a wierd angle or mishapen curley etc. With regular toes if that bone is broke the nail grows back wierd after it heals. One of Minny's back toes the nail actually almost grows out sideways. Cash has a toe the same way. Both had broken their nails back inside the nail bed like you describe. No biggie. Just have to be sure you keep it clipped so it don't get so long it catches on something and tears or breaks.

Edited by racindog

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about this. I have had it happen a FEW times with mine.

Yes, they grow back, but they look a little "funky," ... great medical term, huh? :-)

Curfew's are a little more brittle and bent.

You did well taking care of it too! Now, that is enough! You are on vacation!

Hugs!

Guest IrishGH

Our boy Max recently broke his dew claw in half :eek , we removed the dangling portion & got the bleeding stopped. A couple of hours later he's back playing with the rest of the GHs. The area was tender for a few days after but it's OK now. That was couple of weeks ago, the nail appears to be growing back normal. :colgate I wouldn't worry about it growing back funky.

Pat

Guest Shermanator

Our boy Max recently broke his dew claw in half :eek , we removed the dangling portion & got the bleeding stopped. A couple of hours later he's back playing with the rest of the GHs. The area was tender for a few days after but it's OK now. That was couple of weeks ago, the nail appears to be growing back normal. :colgate I wouldn't worry about it growing back funky.

Pat

We headed to the evet, since it actually looked like he tore the skin attaching the dewclaw. However, since the break was under the nailbed, it was a good thing we went anyway, so it could be cleaned, and he could get antibiotics. We were only away for a few days, so his first full day he was super lethargic and not eating, at all. We thought it was from the tramadol, so we did not worry about it too much. However, Sunday morning, he stopped putting weight on it, and still was not eating. We ran back to the evet, who rewrapped the wound (we were on the beach, sand everywhere, and the evet wrapped him up in a 'boot'), so this time the vet left his paw exposed, and only wrapped the dewclaw. We also changed his meds, and stopped the tramadol. Immediately we noticed a change in Sherman. He perked up, started to eat, and even begged his way into a cheeseburger for dinner. (In and Out Burgers! My parents were with us, and they couldn't resist spoiling him a little.) By Sunday night he was back to his normal self. :)

Our grey has broken his once, I believe, and our mixed breed 2 or 3 times. They have grown back in normal, but I don't think any were totally broken off, usually just snapped halfway up or something.