Looking To Adopt For The First Time

Guest echen

Guest happygrey

We were other breed multiple owners prior to adopting our first greyhound, and about 4 months later we got our second. I wish I had just gone with 2 in the first place. I think it would have been easier than trying to integrate a newbie into the fold.

That said, are you sure you want to get involved with dog ownership while still in graduate school? I had a dog while in graduate school and often found that it was difficult. I had her for 11 years but it was often tough going! You may want to wait a bit. You never know what will unfold for you once you are done with school. And bringing a dog along with you can be a challenge.

Edited by happygrey

We got one female greyhound, and then another 4 months later. For me, that was a good way to do it. That way, i was used to what it was like, and our first dog was really settled in. It has worked out well. i do agree with others who have said that if there are 2 together that have been bounced from another home, then get them together! i should mention i had a dog for 14 years right before that, but i got her as a grey-mix puppy, so she was an only dog her entire life. good luck, and great choice in wanting to adopt greyhounds. i can't imagine life without them. :)

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest lynne893

The greyhounds we've had have always adapted just fine to our "9-5" schedules (usually 8-6 without a potty break in the middle of the day). It just takes time, patience and stick-to-it-tive-ness!

Adopt a Star is based in my neighborhood, I met the founder once. He gave me advice about a medical issue my grey was having. Nice guy. I admire him.

GPA LA/OC has a reputation for being a little nutty. We've always adopted through Operation Greyhound in El Cajon (east of San Diego). Bob and Bruna run that rescue. They're pretty laid back. (www.operationgreyhound.com).

You don't need to have a certain schedule or lifestyle for greyhounds, like someone else said, they're adaptable. Obviously you have to take proper care and give them proper attention, and if they are cooped up all day, a good walk in the morning and in the evening and plenty of attention when you're home.

We're probably going to adopt through GreySave based in Pasadena the next time we adopt (we're in the process now). Bonnie and Cathy are working with us. They do seem more strict and have more rules than Bob and Bruna of Operation Greyhound.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any specific questions- I'm in LA.

Did you say Greyhound's "humanness"??

I have to say, having had dogs my entire life, literally, George is the LEAST human and most DOG dog we've had in the family.

Remember: a retired racer got to grow up AS A DOG. He wasn't transported from his mother's side as a fuzzy 8 week old puppy and then expected to live in the house and behave and learn to be more like a person than a dog.

I think of George as a giant cat, really. In fact my new vet's receptionist asked me on the phone before my initial appointment, "Is George a dog or a cat" and all I could do was laugh and say, "Neither! He's a Greyhound." They tend to have a "what's in it for me" approach to things (like obedience!). As with everything, there are exceptions, so don't anyone jump on me please!

My experience with him (versus the prior 48 years of family dogs) is that he doesn't have the desire to please that our other dogs have had. That's in part a hound thing--but also I believe a working dog thing. The Greyhound's job is an independent one. And just an FYI--not all Greyhounds are lazy and/or laid back. Mine certainly isn't, although he does sleep if I'm not moving--after 3 years, he still jumps up and follows me from room to room (and I have an 875 sf condo, so it's not like he's in danger of loosing track of me!).

I think it's a huge plus you own your house. That's some stability, and you won't have to worry about landlord issues! You do have to consider that your life is very likely to change when you graduate and (hopefully!) get a job. Your schedule isn't a problem.

I'm so happy to see someone actually looking into this so carefully. Good for you!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck