E Coli In My Afghan

I thought my afghan, Lexi, might have a urinary tract infection as she was doing in appropriate peeing in the house. She is 11 so we did the annual exam with all the tests that go with it. Everything was fine except she has e coli which is being treated with baytril (sp?). Never had a dog with that dx. Anyone else did with e coli? Needless to say I was quite upset as she is not a poop eater. My other two are so I am very careful in cleaning up the yard and following them around with the scooper. We walk our dogs daily in the neighborhood and they never go to a dog park. Is it possible she picked this up on a walk while sniffing?

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Female anatomy has a rather 'unintelligent' design fault. Bacteria get into the urinary system via direct contact with faecal matter on or near the urethra. E-coli can then work its way into the system right up to the kidneys if you're unlucky. Swab any areas of the home where the dog might have peed recently with disinfectant if you yave young children crawling around.

Guest Energy11

Our Curfew's sheath infection was cultured and it turned out to be e-coli. My theory is, at times, he eats poop, and then likes his boy parts. Anyway, it was cleared up with antibiotics and using Amimax cream topically in the sheath.

I, too, have heard it is pretty common. Good Luck! Hope your Afghan feels better soon!

Female anatomy has a rather 'unintelligent' design fault. Bacteria get into the urinary system via direct contact with faecal matter on or near the urethra.

Yep.

She didn't get it by eating it, sniffing, etc. Almost certainly got it from her own normal flora which simply wandered into the wrong place. Happens in humans, too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.