Tylan Powder

I took Rascal for her annual checkup, and she got a great report. She regained the weight she'd lost after her surgery last May...she's back up to 57 pounds, which is good for her.

Anyway I mentioned to the vet that Jack still has soft poo, despite being on the Low Residue food for several months now. It's not cow-poo soft, it's formed, but very soft...and when I walk him and he goes, it's softer yet, therefore hard to pick up. She suggested a round of tylan powder, to see if that helps.

If your dog's been on it, has it helped with this? He is fine, he's happy and goofy, eats like a champ...but the clean up is not that great for me... :unsure and of course I'd like to eventually transition him to a NON prescription food.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Yes, it helped!

Spencer had SIBO and has IBD. He was put on Flagyl and budesonide for the IBD, but the poops didn't get completely right until we added Tylan. I think we started him at 1/8 tsp twice a day, which I put in a gel cap (size 00) because it's bitter.

The other thing we did was give him glutamate from the health food store. The internist recommended it. He got to where he didn't need the glutamate anymore, but he can't seem to do without the Tylan.

Hope this helps. Hugs and scritches to all concerned!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Yes. Segugio was on Tylan for several years, 1/8 tsp twice a day, and it definitely helped. One day we just stopped it. And the poo was still reasonable, but I thought that we could do better. He has been getting one Culturelle capsule once a day now for about three months and he has never looked better and the poo is greyt. He wasn't absorbing all his food nutrients and was always a skinny boy, but now he has added some lbs. and looks and feels fantastic. Good luck!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Hmmmm...Jack's dosage is 1/4 tsp. twice daily. The vet didn't say anything about this being a long-term thing. Is that common, that they are on it long term?

I believe that they can stay on Tylan for as long as they need to. Have you started Rascal on it? But again, since Segugio started on the Culturelle ($24 for 30 capsules at Walgreens, give one once a day), he has Never looked better. On Tylan, his poo was much better than without, but the probiotic is a huge improvement even over that.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Lexie has been on the powder for several years too. The vet said it was ok for long term. Vet told me to mix 9 tbsp cornstarch with 1tsp powder to get rid of bitter taste. She gets 1/2 tsp of that mixture each meal. I bought a huge container through revival health. It was a lot cheaper than going to the vet every month for 1tsp. We tried going off of it, but it is the only thing that helps her poo. She is also on the low residue mixed with wellness food. I also give her a lil sweet potato in her food which helps. We have been doing this for 2 years and (knock on wood) so far so good. gl

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

It's ok long term from what I understand. Nasty tasting stuff.

Have you tried BilJac frozen?

No, haven't tried that food...what is the advantage of it?

So far, Jack willingly eats his kibble with the powder, and warm water. Of course, I think he'd eat pebbles if you mixed them in with his kibble! NOT a picky eater. :)

Make sure you put it in capsules as this is a vile tasting med and could make her stop eating. We used it for Beau when we were trying to figure wth was going on with him and it did not work. but only because it was IBD and until he was on a steriod and limited diet, nothing would have worked.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project