Sitting?

Guest Lgyure85

Guest Jubilee251

Oh, I forgot...Molly only "sits" when she has an itch and needs to scratch her neck/ears with her back leg. Sometimes when we go walking, she sits to scratch, then gets distracted by birds/squirrels/whatever, and then just sits there goofily staring off into space. :lol

Greta sat from day one, but only for her own reasons--usually playfulness (she would sit and then roll back onto her rump, rock around, fall over, then jump up and zoom!). Once I trained her to sit on command, she quickly figured it was a way to ask for food, treats, or to met another dog. It's about the only thing she did learn quickly or well, come to think of it...

Guest SpicyMom

Mine both sit - the lurcher more readily but my grey as well. Both raised as puppies but it took a while for my grey to learn to sit "on request" (don't bother commanding...). Food and other treats were her motivator. Once the lurcher puppy came home, she got a lot more motivated to sit so she wouldn't miss out on any treat. Now she'll sit and lay down with no problem (but only the lurcher will roll over - there's a limit mom!) Now she's hilarious. If she wants attention or a neck scratch, she plops herself down right in front of me in a perfect sit - she's learned it will get my attention no matter what I'm doing as I'm still surprised she is doing it without prompting! She also sits on my feet a lot if we're out at my son's game or stopped to talk while on a walk. The only problem is when she jumps up on the bed and sits on top of me!

tn_gallery_18803_3048_9605.jpgtn_gallery_18803_2969_154878.jpg

Guest Wasserbuffel

I wasn't going to bother teaching Jayne to sit after being told by the adoption group that most don't and many are uncomfortable dooing it. But then she began sitting on her own outside, in her crate and in the car. So, we worked on it and now she sits when I ask. She still hesitates on odd surfaces, and if we're near her pillow she'll walk over to it, then sit.

once annie figured out how to sit, i lured her into a sit position from a down, she sits when ever she wants a treat! i call the pups, she runs up and sits, hand in the cookie jar...she is sitting in front. any reason she can sit, there she is .....sitting. i thought she was never going to learn it....HA!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jtavants

Tucson only sits on command... and even then it's more of a sit that quickly morphs into a like down. :)

BTW, I never taught him how to sit. I'm assuming he picked it up with his fosters or at the track.

Guest jvandover

Both of my Greys can sit, one will do it with a verbal command (sometimes he requires a light tap on the butt) the other needs a slightly firmer push on her rear (and she sits at an awkward angle). The funny thing is, they think "Stay" means "Lie down" when they are sitting. If I tell Chad to "Sit", "stay" he lies down. I don't mind, it has the same effect really.

Guest Bang_o_rama

It took Bang a week or so after we really began trying to teach her to sit (we started at her recent stint in obedience school) but she does it readily now. In fact, I have seen her do it w/o being asked. She does the same with bowing on command, another trick we have been teaching. She realized quickly that trick=treat, and so sees no reason to wait until we ask.

She like bowing better, though, and will usually precede a requested sit with a couple of bows, for good measure.

~D~

Guest Swifthounds

All uninjured greyhounds can sit, it's just that racing greyhounds have no practical use for sitting in their life at the farm or at the track.

Guest Gweneth06

It only took my greyhound 6-8 months to learn how to sit !!!! As said in previous posts...racing greyhounds have no practical use for sitting in their life. It doesn't usually look like a comfortable position for greys to be in, which probably accounts for why many will not learn how to sit at all.

Guest GreyRabbit

I had asked the same question when I first joined in February and received a great video clip of someone training a grey to sit. My guy had so many other basic things that he needed to learn I haven't yet gotten around to sit, I'm just happy that he knows "down" and lays down. THOUGH, as a few mentioned above, it is actually more like "down on your bed" or "down on the blankie" or when I ask him to do it outside, he will go find a piece of grass and circle a few times before doing it. I guess I'm just happy with "down", sit is too much work for him to do and me to teach right now