Medical Mystery - Huge Bruises After Running

Guest AnnesMenagerie

Guest AnnesMenagerie

Well - I have another mystery with my delicate little princess -

A couple of months ago (after knowing Molly for over 6 years and running her almost every week), Molly's getting huge, very dark bruises on the inside of one or the other of her rear legs after running with other greyhounds at the dog park. Not every time - maybe 4 times in the last 2-3 months. No collisions, no falls - and the affected leg isn't sore afterwards - just incredibly black and blue from her groin all the way to her hock and sometimes even further down.

The only thing I can think of is that she's older (9 years old) and out-of-shape (not a lot of exercise over the winter) and, in trying to keep up with the younger dogs, maybe she's getting tiny tears in the muscle or some other kind of over-doing it kind of injury. My vet doesn't recognize this as anything - he's checking with a hemotologist.

We just had some blood work done prior to a dental and her blood coagulation is normal.

Anyone else every seen this?? Any ideas???

Guest lynne893

Hmmm... our Timber experienced really big bruising like that a couple of times, the first time was after a no-anesthesia dental, when the dentist holds the dog in his lap for 30 minutes or so, and the second time was after a vet appointment where they had to lift her up onto the table for an xray. I have no reason to believe that she was mishandled in either case, I just think she bruised very easily (like big, dark blood under the skin bruising).

Our poor girl had lymphoma, it turns out, and I do wonder if this excessive bruising was a symptom of lymphoma.

You might want to ask your vet about it, even if it seems alarmist.

Good luck,

Lynne

No matter what her age, I wouldn't ignore bruising like that. I'd be getting a full blood panel done, then if nothing obvious shows have Dr Couto at OSU take a look. Even though he is is famous for his cancer work, he is a hematologist as well. The link to contact them is in my siggy.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Sounds like a muscle tear. You should have seen the bruise my girl got after her tear--inside thigh. I would still run blood work--gotta check the platelet count (remember greys normally have a lower count than other breeds).

Oh, I forgot to mention that typically with muscle tears they don't appear to be painfull.

Edited by tbhounds