Arthritis In Badger's Hip

Guest Fluffy

Guest Fluffy

We hit the vet today for a check on Badger's ear infections, etc. The vet said his ears are coming along great, but when i mentioned to her how much he detests uncarpeted floors, she said that sometimes if they're having joint trouble, that will set off a chain of floor-refusing events. One time losing their footing and hitting a sore joint just right, and they do NOT want to try that again! So she checked his hocks, etc, and sure enough, found some pain in his left hip. Right hip, no problem when she extended his leg backward; left hip, startled shriek of pain from the dog. So my two-year old has some arthritis, it seems. Shucks, it's almost like he spent the last couple of years as a professional athlete or something! :rolleyes:

The vet prescribed a glucosamine supplement called Dasuquin, which she says often performs near-miracles for dogs with sore joints (though, she was careful to warn me, for some it just does nothing - but it can't hurt and there's no way to tell other than trying it) within 4-6 weeks or so.

So other than the Dasuquin and just being aware that that joint is a problem area, is there anything else I can do for His Majesty to keep the hip running smoothly (and hey, maybe to make him stop balking at every door that leads to a place he is not SURE is carpeted?)

Guest Energy11

DASEQUIN rocks!!!!

When Goldie went into the vet for her bad foot, and it came back as arthritis, MY vet prescribed the Dasequin. YEP ... it works!!! She WAS on Deramaxx a NSAID, but doesn't need it right nowsmile.gif

All our floors are carpted, and to avoid stairs for ALL of ours, ages 8-10, I had DH build a ramp. It is carpeted and is would accommodate a wheel chair if necessary. Yep, the lengths we go to for these creatures! cool.gif

Good Luck! I think you WILL see a change. If he is still in pain, yes, the Deramaxx or Rimadyl for sure, if his bloodwork is ok.

Sending many hugs!

Guest EmilyandSioux

I use ArthriSoothe Gold for arthritis on all 5 of my guys. I just sprinkle it on their food and they eat it. I have rec. it to several friends and they love it. I also have several rescues that use it. I have never had anyone not like it. I get it thru the feedstore but you can order thru several online pet catalogs.

Guest Greytluv

My Piglet has severe arthritis. Along with acupuncture and chiropractic I have her on Get Up & Go and Grizzly oil, both from Greyhound Gang. She has made such progress.

My acupuncturist suggested Dasuquin, but Piglet has problem with her immune system I'm not sure of the long term affects :dunno I hear it's really good, tho.

Acupuncture can bring a lot of relief, and the other thing that has been a help here is to massage with the Traumeel gel.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

In a 2-year-old, much more likely to be soft tissue injury than arthritis. Treatment for that would be anti-inflammatories and rest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kydie

I sooooo agree with Energy11, I use it on 3 out of 4 of my dogs, now I use Dasuquin with MSM, which I feel works so much better the MSM is an anti-imflammatiory agent, use it as directed and in 1 week I noticed a difference, in 1 month my 12 year old was acting as if she was 3 again,,,,,,, is this good,,,? :blink:

P.S. I get mine on Amazon,,,,much cheaper... learned this on G.T.

Edited by kydie