Vet Unsure What This Is

Any idea what this could be? It varies in angriness but isn't going away. Has been there over two weeks. Vet put him on low-dose pred last Saturday, with the idea that it could be vasculitis. It's not getting better.

Yesterday seemed darker around the perimeter and lighter in the middle. Just last night he started panting and breathing fast. That only lasted about an hour. Overall he has been depressed and not walking well (i.e., slow, short distance, which isn't totally unusual for him).

Shaneboo-boo031.jpg

Shaneboo-boo026.jpg

I'm wondering if pred is not helping and maybe hurting his recovery if it's something like a spider bite. sad.gif Thanks for any help.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

Could very well be a spider bite. (Brown Recluse Spiders) are tissue necrotic.

PRED doesn't agree with Curfew at all. It causes him to pant a lot, and be very restless. Might want to wearn him off the pred, and see about trying an antibiotic and treating this topically with what I swear by, Trypzyme-V salve or spray.

Good Luck with this, and I hope he feels better soon!!!!

Could be bite. I would use a drawing agent. I would use pescalite clay. It is th eonly known thing that will actually draw brown recluse poison out but has remarkable overall healing properties as well. Healed up a place on Slim that had board certified vet stumped. After throwing away ~$300 at vet I found the pescalit clay(has to be the real thing not a clone) and for the price of a bottle it healed him up, about $20.

(The reason it has to be the genuine clay is because the real pescalite comes from an area where there is a medicine wheel and it has powerful healing energy. In fact the indians call this stuff Ewake (spell?) which means "the dirt that heals.")

Edited by racindog

Could be bite. I would use a drawing agent. I would use pescalite clay. It is th eonly known thing that will actually draw brown recluse poison out but has remarkable overall healing properties as well. Healed up a place on Slim that had board certified vet stumped. After throwing away ~$300 at vet I found the pescalit clay(has to be the real thing not a clone) and for the price of a bottle it healed him up, about $20.

Where can I get this? Lots of things pop up when you Google it, including pescalite powders from Wyoming. Some are mixed with other substances. Many thanks for your help!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

...treating this topically with what I swear by, Trypzyme-V salve or spray.

thanks so much! Can I get this without a prescription?

Where can I get this? Lots of things pop up when you Google it, including pescalite powders from Wyoming. Some are mixed with other substances. Many thanks for your help!

www.pascalite.com is the addy-might have to type in your browser. That is where I got mine. It is the Wyoming Big Horn Mountain kind. That is the kind I used. It is remarkable-really works. When you make it into a toothpaste consistancy poultice use pure spring water only. Put a glob over the wound-you are using it as a poultice. Don't have to use too much-just enough to cover the area. Wrap saran wrap/plastic wrap over it and then cover that with any type bandage. (It needs to remain damp to be effective.) I used an elastic type cloth wrap so I could resuse it. Leave on as long as you can-at least 12 hours before washing off and then reapplying fresh poltice with more. You have to change at least once a day because it will dry out eventually. It might take a while to heal completely but you should see some improvement after the first application. Plus you don't have to worry if he likes it off etc. because it won't harm him.

NOTE I CORRECTED web address-was typo in before.

Edited by racindog

And it's not cheap, is it! Oh, I take that back; the 8 oz. size is very affordable! Funny, that's the site I picked to look at from the list presented by Google. Maybe cuz I used to live in WY.

Seriously, though, is it too late (3 weeks) for it to be effective?

ETA: Just ordered some. What lovely people.

Edited by greyhead

Guest LindsaySF

Did they do a scraping or anything? It looks more like an infection of some sort to me. Did they try antibiotics?

Did they do a scraping or anything? It looks more like an infection of some sort to me. Did they try antibiotics?

The vet thought about doing a scraping but decided against it. I told her I'd applied Polysporin, but she just shrugged. (It hadn't done much but make it redder.) He had just come off five weeks of an a/b for a possible UTI, not that it would've been the right one for something like this. I've emailed the vet with my observations and am waiting to hear back; today's a surgery day for her. Meanwhile, I figured it couldn't hurt to have that clay powder on the way. dunno.gif Maybe I'll try the polysporin again and see what happens.

And it's not cheap, is it! Oh, I take that back; the 8 oz. size is very affordable! Funny, that's the site I picked to look at from the list presented by Google. Maybe cuz I used to live in WY.

Seriously, though, is it too late (3 weeks) for it to be effective?

ETA: Just ordered some. What lovely people.

No its definitely not too late. I messed around with the vet for about that long before I found it and it fixed Slim. I think you will be very pleased with the results. It'll take all that red inflamation away and all. Let me know how it turns out. Poor guy.

Guest Adrianne

My youngest son was bit by a brown recluse spider a couple years ago, and the tissue started dying in and around the bite in less than 24 hours. The wound became black and crusty very, very quickly. He had to take a course of pills (sorry, I can't remember what they were--only that they were huge). He had to take one every 8 hours, so we had to get him up in the middle of the night every night for two weeks. We also got a prescription for Ketoconazole cream 2%, which is an anti-fungal.

We were lucky in that we caught this the day after he was bitten and had him to the doctor that day. Brown recluse spider bites are scary.

Guest 2greygirls

It does look like a bite to me, but I don't think it is a recluse bite. I almost died from one ( systemic reaction) and they Did give me pred for the reaction. There is no anti- venom for the brown recluse..scary little buggers. Necrotic, AND its a neuro-toxin, I have nerve damage from it...

I think you may want to check into another round of antibiotics, many bites can become infected and angry....and some spiders can spread staff..I would do the scraping.

Is it sore and painful to him, or not? Doesn't look exactly like a histiocytoma but could be that. Benign tumor-like thingy, usually go away on their own after much puzzlement.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Is it sore and painful to him, or not? Doesn't look exactly like a histiocytoma but could be that. Benign tumor-like thingy, usually go away on their own after much puzzlement.

Doesn't seem to be sore or painful, but he doesn't like me to mess with it either. I notice he never licks at it. I don't know anything about histiocytoma, but it sounds like an allergic response is involved. Puzzlement we have in abundance.

Thanks, everybody, for your observations and suggestions. Haven't heard anything from the vet yet.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Could be a histiocytoma (then again it could be a lot of things) I would probably ask the vet to do a fine needle aspirate.

I don't personally think it looks like a histio, not that I have any better ideas... The histio's my dogs have had have been more button cell like, not quite as diffuse as this. and in the 2nd picture at least, I don't think I see much swelling, just the irritation.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana