Sunscreen Needed

Spencer lost *lots* of fur with his medicine this year. Rain's about gone, sun's here, so vets say use sunscreen. cool.gif We'll probably need a lot of it for daily walks for the foreseeable future. One vet said "no zinc." That's all I know. I get that a spray is good, and baby sunscreen may be best. But:

1. is adult sunscreen okay (e.g., Neutrogena spray on sale now at Costco), or does it have to be kids/babies?

2. do we want waterproof or not? (I'm sure he'll lick it from his legs, so is non-waterproof less toxic to ingest perhaps?)

3. should I clean it off now and then with baby wipes?

Anything you can share will be appreciated!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Huh. I wonder why not zinc; the new-ish zinc oxide stuff is supposedly about as good as it gets for blocking UVA and UVB.

Maybe not good to ingest in quantity? (I had just talked to his internist about zinc for fur regrowth, and she shook her head. It was his regular vet who said the words "no zinc" for the sunscreen formula.) Maybe I'll Google canines and zinc.

Ah. http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/hardy/ Probably bad for an IBD dog.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Kid's sunscreen is totally non-toxic - as they may ingest itas well - something you can't find in adult varieties. But I imagine if you put it on and wipe it off right away when you come back inside you can use it. Baby stuff you wouldn't have to wipe off every time. I think most baby sunscreen is waterproof, though I don't know that for sure. Spray is just easier to put on if you have to do it a lot, and less messy for the applicator. I've used both and don't find an appreciable difference in coverage.

I use it for Dude in the summer since he has no hair undeneath his belly and his back legs at all. It really helps him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I use children's Coppertone in the spray on Tess and have about 5 years with no trouble at all. She is the sunbathing diva. I'm talking sunning all 4 sides all summer long. It cuts down on her Hemoangiomas but doesn't completely stop them. I think in the 9 years we've had her we have had about 17 removed and they just keep coming back. The vet doesn't know why.

Ruth in Idaho

Having 3 white dogs with pink skin here, I use sunscreen on them when they are out in the sun for any length of time. The one I use is the CVS brand (drug store brand) for kids. It's a continuous clear spray, 50 SPF, water resistant and sprays at any angle. It works great, although the dogs don't like being sprayed with it, but having a whippet that got squamous cell carcinoma from being out in the sun too much (prior to me getting him), I won't let my current dogs go out without it.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I see a pattern here: children's waterproof spray! Thank you so much, everyone. smile.gif

Could I just ask, do your dogs lick much after coming indoors? I just wonder what to expect. Thanks again.