Stop The Panic

Guest BooBooMama

Both my boys have Onie Jones in their lineage just like many others. I don't believe one can note this one pup as the carrier, there are probably many that do. Cancer is ultimately the result of cells that uncontrollably grow and do not die. They don't follow the normal life cycle of a cell. Keep in mind that cancer takes many humans as well, something like 20-25%.

I will love them while I have them and know that something will take them from me, cancer, heart failure, kidney failure....it goes on and on. Cancer takes many breeds and when a pup gets old, no matter the breed, the chance they pass from cancer is likely quite high.

Go hug your pup(s)!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest boondog

Every time I hear of greys being diagnosed with cancer my heart breaks for them and their humans. I know that statistically I will deal with osteo (or something equally dreadful) at some point. Come what may, I will never have another breed of dog. I just remind myself of all the people with healthy greyhounds that have no reason to post in H&M.

I am truly sad for all who have lost a beloved hound to osteo. It must be awful. I try to remember that we are all just passing through. None of us were intended to stay forever - so cherish those souls you love and make the most of your time together. But if the heartbreak of losing a beloved pet is too great -- well, I guess that's why they sell stuffed animals!

After losing Indy to nasal cancer and not osteo, I can only say that it wouldn't have mattered what the diagnosis - saying goodbye broke my heart. But it was Indy's time to go and I had promised him that I would not allow him to languish and suffer. I had 8-1/2 crazy and wonderful years with Indy, for which I am grateful. :heart

But the wheels keeps turning ... my Holly, 11, was lost, sad, and blue without Indy, so I recently adopted a 9-year-old male hound. Former racer and "professional" blood donor. A gypsy of sorts who I don't believe has ever had a "real" home (other than foster; was adopted briefly but returned). He is black, by the way (one of those hounds that statistically is hard to place, I guess). How long will he be with me? Haven't a clue. Until it's his time to go, I suppose. But in the meantime, we are going to play and have fun, go to Greyhound obedience school, and he can spend the rest of his days sleeping in a soft bed with a full tummy - with someone who loves and cares about him. :kiss2

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest BooBooMama

I am truly sad for all who have lost a beloved hound to osteo. It must be awful. I try to remember that we are all just passing through. None of us were intended to stay forever - so cherish those souls you love and make the most of your time together. But if the heartbreak of losing a beloved pet is too great -- well, I guess that's why they sell stuffed animals!

After losing Indy to nasal cancer and not osteo, I can only say that it wouldn't have mattered what the diagnosis - saying goodbye broke my heart. But it was Indy's time to go and I had promised him that I would not allow him to languish and suffer. I had 8-1/2 crazy and wonderful years with Indy, for which I am grateful. :heart

But the wheels keeps turning ... my Holly, 11, was lost, sad, and blue without Indy, so I recently adopted a 9-year-old male hound. Former racer and "professional" blood donor. A gypsy of sorts who I don't believe has ever had a "real" home (other than foster; was adopted briefly but returned). He is black, by the way (one of those hounds that statistically is hard to place, I guess). How long will he be with me? Haven't a clue. Until it's his time to go, I suppose. But in the meantime, we are going to play and have fun, go to Greyhound obedience school, and he can spend the rest of his days sleeping in a soft bed with a full tummy - with someone who loves and cares about him. :kiss2

I love greyhound people! Thank you for adopting a 'senior'. What is his name?

First, I am so very sorry about BooBoo. :cry1

And sorry, don't mean to hijack here -- but my new hound's name is "Lure" ("Lure-Out"). Not the easiest to say, but that's his name. Funny, I was under the impression he was an easy-going, calm, laid-back "senior" -- when in fact, he often acts like he's 9 months old rather than 9 years old. Very bouncy like Tigger (in Winnie the Pooh). Happy, jubilant, plays very hard, has his own private toy parties. He just learned how to dig holes in the back yard. Wow, he doesn't act like a "senior" at all! Gosh, I just love the older hounds! :beatheart

Guest BooBooMama

First, I am so very sorry about BooBoo. :cry1

And sorry, don't mean to hijack here -- but my new hound's name is "Lure" ("Lure-Out"). Not the easiest to say, but that's his name. Funny, I was under the impression he was an easy-going, calm, laid-back "senior" -- when in fact, he often acts like he's 9 months old rather than 9 years old. Very bouncy like Tigger (in Winnie the Pooh). Happy, jubilant, plays very hard, has his own private toy parties. He just learned how to dig holes in the back yard. Wow, he doesn't act like a "senior" at all! Gosh, I just love the older hounds! :beatheart

These last few weeks so many of us have lost our hounds and have turned to GT for an outlet for our fear and grief. It feels SO good to read a happy post. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Having lost Indy in February (2010), I truly understand how much your heart hurts. I still cry and get very, very teary when I think about Indy. I miss him so much.

Although everyone grieves differently, I absolutely believe the deeper the love, the deeper the grief. A matter of degrees, I suppose.

I wish you a heart filled with memories of happy times with BooBoo. You made her life and world a better place. She will never leave you. :heart

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest SusanP

Every dog (and every living creature) is going to die of something. A dog who might die of cancer needs a loving home just as much as a dog who might die of something else. None of us lives forever. Knowing that doesn't really make it any easier when we are facing death in a loved one, but it is the truth that I think of when I start to feel panic. It's the quality of life that matters, not the length of it or the kind of illness that ends it. I have always worried about cancer in my dogs, but when my angel Simon died of something entirely different, it was just as unwelcome as a cancer death. Now Wizard is sick, too...not with OS, but...

Also, I've met a number of families recently whose non-greyhounds have died of OS: One family lost two young St. Bernards to it last year, and another friend lost her mixed breed dog to it a week ago.

I too was concerned about the panic in the other thread. So, I sent an email to Dr Couto to ask his opinion on the infamous Onie Jones.

We would need to compare pedigrees of Greyts with OSA and an age-matched group without OSA to see if famous Onie is over- or underrepresented.

When there is a popular stud in the breed, he may have sired equivalent numbers of affected and unaffected dogs due to his popularity, but most people do not look at the pedigrees of healthy hounds

Our current survival times with amputation and chemo are 12-18 months, as you know, with GREYT quality of life. As I often tell folks, 'we are all gonna die', it's just a mater of how and when

While every diagnosis of any kind of cancer is a personal affront to me, I still keep my focus on fund raising to get those survival times higher. There is always hope!

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest BooBooMama

I too was concerned about the panic in the other thread. So, I sent an email to Dr Couto to ask his opinion on the infamous Onie Jones.

We would need to compare pedigrees of Greyts with OSA and an age-matched group without OSA to see if famous Onie is over- or underrepresented.

When there is a popular stud in the breed, he may have sired equivalent numbers of affected and unaffected dogs due to his popularity, but most people do not look at the pedigrees of healthy hounds…

Our current survival times with amputation and chemo are 12-18 months, as you know, with GREYT quality of life. As I often tell folks, 'we are all gonna die', it's just a mater of how and when…

While every diagnosis of any kind of cancer is a personal affront to me, I still keep my focus on fund raising to get those survival times higher. There is always hope!

Would Dr. Couto like to know about dogs that have died of OS even if they were not treated with chemo/ amputation, etc? I opted to not do a biopsy so I thought my data would be of no use to him. Am I wrong?

When there is a popular stud in the breed, he may have sired equivalent numbers of affected and unaffected dogs due to his popularity, but most people do not look at the pedigrees of healthy hounds…

Our current survival times with amputation and chemo are 12-18 months, as you know, with GREYT quality of life. As I often tell folks, 'we are all gonna die', it's just a mater of how and when…

Would Dr. Couto like to know about dogs that have died of OS even if they were not treated with chemo/ amputation, etc? I opted to not do a biopsy so I thought my data would be of no use to him. Am I wrong?

Did you fill out the survey? Pinned at the top of the H & M forum.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest BooBooMama

I looked at it and saw it was dated 2005 so I posted a message asking if it was current but got no reply.

Edited by BooBooMama

Guest Whistle

I looked at it and saw it was dated 2005 so I posted a message asking if it was current but got no reply.

Same here. I saw the date and assumed it was an old survey.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Thank you for a great post; and I am sorry for your loss of Boo Boo. I do feel for everyone who has an ailing hound right now, for any reason. But I also know this; none of us, ever, would give up that pain if it meant never knowing the love of our wonderful babies. From the day we are born, we are dying. There are no guarantees. I don't want to squander even a minute of precious time worrying about what might be coming, hard as it can be sometimes.

Very well said - and for the record, our girl is 13.5 and has never had cancer or even a cancer scare. Right now she's suffering from symptoms of that dreaded illness... old age. And Onie Jones is 4 generations back for her... on BOTH sides of her chart.

Guest BooBooMama

Very well said - and for the record, our girl is 13.5 and has never had cancer or even a cancer scare. Right now she's suffering from symptoms of that dreaded illness... old age. And Onie Jones is 4 generations back for her... on BOTH sides of her chart.

Love her with all your heart- she is a rare gem! My Jen was 4 months away from her 14th birthday when we were attacked by a pit bull. Just 2 weeks before the attack Jen had a CBC done. My vet told me she had the bloodwork of a 7 or 8 year old. Had we not been attacked I know she would have lived much longer- my little Onie Jones girl.