Stop The Panic

Guest BooBooMama

Guest BooBooMama

After reading the thread on There Are Too Many I have become concerned about the tone.

People please! We are all suffering from grief and fear but we cannot let our fears cloud our judgments.

When I adopted my first grey baby in 1995 the data I had on the breed claimed that they were prone to bloat and hypothyroidism and sensitive to drugs- no other illnesses. So I am now shocked to see that so much cancer runs in this breed.

Now that I am aware of the breed's propensity to this disease will I stop adopting greyhounds? I could very easily adopt another breed but I know that I won't. Great Dane lovers know that their dogs' life spans are only 6 years but they still love their dogs. Béarnaise Mountain dog lover know that their dogs are prone to Histiocytic sarcoma but continue to adopt. What about all the breeds we know are susceptible to hip dysplasia?

We can't bear the thought of losing our loved ones but the sad fact is- we (humans) do outlive our canine babies- cancer or no cancer. I know people who lost their dogs due to old age and were so traumatized that they have never adopted another dog. I am not like that. I think that life has no color, no charm and no joy unless it is shared with a beloved pet.

So don't allow your fears to start hunting down your dog's lineage and have panic attacks if the name Onie Jones pops up. (I must call to you attention that 2 of my 3 greys have died from cancer and the ONLY one that was related to Onie died from an accident at the age of 14- NO cancer!)

I understand wanting to assist Dr. Couto's research to help solve the mystery of why our fur babies are so prone to the disease in the hope of finding preventative treatments but don't twist this information around and use it as fuel for fear.

Every pet owner knows that with that adoption comes accepting the responsibility of facing the pain of that pet's death. Every time you love ANYTHING you are taking a risk of loss. We don't stop loving because of fear.

In memory of my sweet BooBoo who left me yesterday- I beg you all to stop being afraid and just feel love. Fear is the greatest enemy of love.

Guest kydie

I am so sorry about your pup, I never knew so much osto ran in this breed, until I came to GT, but the info posted here,, I feel has helped me be so much wiser about this disease, so I can speek effectivley to my vet and know what to look for, I am not as brave as some on this board, and would not go to the lengths some do,(personal choice here) as a long time nurse, the fact is,,,,,, everything dies!!! and again sometimes the cure is worse than the disease,,, I know I've seen it

Guest Swifthounds

Very well said!

I don't think we have a clear understanding of cancer in NGA greyhounds because, well, most of the statistics relative to them are kept only in the early years of their life. They are genetically far more diverse than AKC greyhounds and most other AKC breeds. Then there's the fact that over the age of 9, if something else doesn't get them first, dogs will probably develop cancer.

It would be nice if we had a database to track cause of death in retired greyhounds, but while that might affect the propensity of breeding those hounds, I can't imagine that it would affect the likelihood of someone adopting a dog that might be more likely to develop some sort of cancer.

I just don't think any amount of emotional pain at the point of goodbye will ever outweigh the joy of the time I've shared with a dog

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I agree. I will always have the breeds I love.

GSDs and Goldens (the non-sighthounds I like) are full of health issues, far far more than Greyhounds.

My first Borzoi dropped dead at age three. It scares me, but I treat every day as it could be their last.

Whippets are hardy and seem to live forever. If mine lives another five years (he's 13), it'll still rip my heart out- he's my heart dog.

Guest PhillyPups

I did not sense panic in the last thread. I found it to be educational for me. Will I turn down a greyhound in need because of lineage? Never. Will I stop adopting greyhounds or sharing my home with greyhounds because of losing them to cancer? Only when I am at the bridge with them.

I got new information on the last thread that I did not know before. Would it have had a factor in adopting the ones that I have lost? No way.

Please let the education AND research continue. :)

Guest kydie

a side note here: a friend of mine just put down her 6 year old lab due to a stroke, much research was done before BIG MONEY was paid for her, as her bloodlines were impressive, and it was felt this would insure a long life........not so!

Edited by kydie

So don't allow your fears to start hunting down your dog's lineage and have panic attacks if the name Onie Jones pops up. (I must call to you attention that 2 of my 3 greys have died from cancer and the ONLY one that was related to Onie died from an accident at the age of 14- NO cancer!)

I understand wanting to assist Dr. Couto's research to help solve the mystery of why our fur babies are so prone to the disease in the hope of finding preventative treatments but don't twist this information around and use it as fuel for fear.

Every pet owner knows that with that adoption comes accepting the responsibility of facing the pain of that pet's death. Every time you love ANYTHING you are taking a risk of loss. We don't stop loving because of fear.

In memory of my sweet BooBoo who left me yesterday- I beg you all to stop being afraid and just feel love. Fear is the greatest enemy of love.

I agree a 1,000,000%.

flowers_yellow.gif for sweet BooBoo & grouphug.gif for you.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest BooBooMama

I did not sense panic in the last thread. I found it to be educational for me. Will I turn down a greyhound in need because of lineage? Never. Will I stop adopting greyhounds or sharing my home with greyhounds because of losing them to cancer? Only when I am at the bridge with them.

I got new information on the last thread that I did not know before. Would it have had a factor in adopting the ones that I have lost? No way.

I fully agree with your comment of "let the education AND research continue". My concern was that people were voicing fears about their pets' lineage (i.e. the Onie Jones relationship.) I was worried that I was seeing the seeds of fear in those remarks.

Thank you for posting this. I know that I can get caught up in things and not put everything into perspective regarding my own personal situation. Yes, I ran and looked at their lineage for Onie Jones. Then, my husband reminded me that our greys are the best for us and we get so much more from them than we are able to give. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also know first-hand how cancer can strike anyone, without warning. I am blessed that my son is a survivor, but . . . . I know I went through everything I can remember about my pregnancy, thinking that I "did" something that caused it. It's a natural reaction, I think.

I am so very sorry that you lost your beloved. I followed your thread and so wished for more time. I admire that you were able to give the ultimate gift and take her pain to be your own.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

NO offense to Pat or Hilda but by stating something that someone heard from someone doesn't make it true.

I feel education should be more fact based and less hearsay and opinion.

For example, I once, years ago had a greyhound trainer tell me the best way to get rid of fleas and ticks were to spray the kennel and dogs down with diesel fuel.

Just because someone said that doesn't mean it's the correct or proper ways.

And I feel placing the blame on Onie Jones is a big stretch.

I guess the passing of "info" on message boards is a bit of a touchy subject for me right now.

I'm watching and hearing someone who basically knows squat about greyhound racing and breeding pass along all sorts of bogus info. And guess what? people are eating it up and claiming that this person is like the next coming of Ghandi or some such :lol

no one on this board by the way ;)

Guest BooBooMama

Thank you for posting this. I know that I can get caught up in things and not put everything into perspective regarding my own personal situation. Yes, I ran and looked at their lineage for Onie Jones. Then, my husband reminded me that our greys are the best for us and we get so much more from them than we are able to give. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also know first-hand how cancer can strike anyone, without warning. I am blessed that my son is a survivor, but . . . . I know I went through everything I can remember about my pregnancy, thinking that I "did" something that caused it. It's a natural reaction, I think.

I am so very sorry that you lost your beloved. I followed your thread and so wished for more time. I admire that you were able to give the ultimate gift and take her pain to be your own.

Cindy

Dearest Cindy,

I lost my brother to lung cancer last year and in January they found some imbalance in my blood proteins and I am now being monitored for multiple myeloma so I FULLY understand what fear is. Remember that feeling fear is NOT a weakness but giving in to fear robs you of love and happiness. I have to remind myself of that every day. As for your son you did not do anything wrong. Bad things just happen. I am SO happy that he is a survivor! I understand how you felt though- I have always been active (I climbed mountains for a awhile!), I eat healthy foods, don't drink, don't smoke. I couldn't help but wonder what I did wrong. We set out looking for the solution but sometimes we get caught up in a cycle that does not help us.

I can see that you are a warm and kind person- and so brave and thoughtful to post this comment. I can't thank you enough for this message.

Much love and warmth,

Gigi

Exactly, since AFAIK no one is working on a genetic link. Which is why I asked if it came from a medical source.

They live in the moment - we should try to do the same (so very hard sometimes).

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest BooBooMama

NO offense to Pat or Hilda but by stating something that someone heard from someone doesn't make it true.

I feel education should be more fact based and less hearsay and opinion.

For example, I once, years ago had a greyhound trainer tell me the best way to get rid of fleas and ticks were to spray the kennel and dogs down with diesel fuel.

Just because someone said that doesn't mean it's the correct or proper ways.

I guess the passing of "info" on message boards is a bit of a touchy subject for me right now.

I'm watching and hearing someone who basically knows squat about greyhound racing and breeding pass along all sorts of bogus info. And guess what? people are eating it up and claiming that this person is like the next coming of Ghandi or some such :lol

no one on this board by the way ;)

Very true. Thank you for this comment. We are so well meaning, intelligent and informed and set out to find a solution but sometimes get caught-up in a cycle that is not beneficial at all.

Guest bigbrindlebunny

After reading the other thread I immediately looked up Pete's lineage and there he was, twice, Onie Jones. I felt sick with it.

Thank you for reminding me that I need to keep it in perspective.

I agree about the Onie Jones thing... spooked me too, yet of course there are surely vast numbers of hounds with him in their ancestry who have lived long lives and died from other things. [And Beth's sire, who has the lineage, is evidently hale and hearty at 12, as I learned on another recent thread....]

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Yes, I agree people need not panic...but, even if the Onie Jones thing were true and proven, it would not deter me from adopting, as I said in the other thread:

...The light that they all bring to my life is worth the roll of the dice for me. Every greyhound I have has that dog somewhere, and I would be willing to bet that if I looked up the racing names of all the dogs at the kennel, more than half of them would have Onie Jones somewhere in their pedigree. And we don't even know for sure if that's really true. I'll take my chances :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest BooBooMama

I agree about the Onie Jones thing... spooked me too, yet of course there are surely vast numbers of hounds with him in their ancestry who have lived long lives and died from other things. [And Beth's sire, who has the lineage, is evidently hale and hearty at 12, as I learned on another recent thread....]

I did the same thing! As soon as I read the post I went online and looked up all three of mine. Then I realized what I was doing and began to read the other posts.

Very well said.

All three of my girls have Onie Jones in their bloodlines. It has never bothered me. Scarlett lived to 19.5, only to get Osteo (so rude at that point!) 2 months before I had to let her go. Morgaine died suddenly of status epilepticus. Knock wood, Aquitaine appears quite healthy except for greyhound teeth.

I was virtually raised in my vets office since my mother and grandmother bred poodles and we showed our until each received their championships. At 6 I fell in love with Danes and my vet told me I was too emotional to get one as they didn't live long lives. He was right, but I still love them.

What I have learned with my girls, and from reading about everyone else's greys, and from dogs in general is that I have to love them every day as if it was their last. Does it s*ck to wake up every morning knowing that "this might be the day", of course it does but it won't deter me. My girls are priceless to me. The love they have given me, and the comfort during some very scary times, is beyond measure. Not one of them is replaceable. That will never stop me from adopting again as the love will just continue to flow through each one of them. If I can only ever adopt one at a time, then I will be a serial adopter.

Panic is pointless (but you don't want to be within hearing distance if my girl gets hurt...I scream VERY loud). Enjoy each day.

Edited by carronstar

I knew the facts - that about 20% of adult greys will be diagnosed with Osteo, and knew that given the number of hounds i have that it was only a matter of time until my turn came.

Do I hate that Osteo robbed me of Gifted Suzy much too soon? Absolutely. But will it stop me from loving the breed passionately and always having a grey (or 8) in my life? Absolutely not! However, I would love to see the numbers come down, and support education and research. What I do not want to see happen is people not adopt greys because they may get Osteo. The fact is, usually we are going to outlive our canine companions. What the greys give back to us for whatever time we have them far outweighs the grief of their passing.

I will never forget my journey with Suzy and Osteo. I learned so much during that time that will help me comfort and coach other adopters up here as they face the same disease. Most importantly, though, I learned to celebrate each and every day that I had left with her, a celebration that I shared here on GT. And I learned that GT'ers are the most supportive, caring group imaginable - with me every step of the way.

Deb

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I don't usually enter these types of discussions but... I have had 3 of my 5 greys get osteo. The 2 that I considered my heart dogs were lost to it at 7.5 and 8 years old. I know the statistics are 20% of the NGA greyhounds will get it and I've been very unlucky. I'm an engineer and know the difference between statistics and anecdotal experience. But given my experience, I'm really questioning if I would adopt another.

ok, this is where the engineer hat comes on.... In the other thread, people started posting about other cancers and Onie Jones and I think people jumped to conclusions. I've done a bit of reading about osteo in greys. There appears to be a genetic component to NGA greyhounds and osteo. Dr. Couto has said that racing and non-racing NGA greyhounds have about the same percentages of osteo. While there does appear to be a genetic link, it hasn't been tied to a particular greyhound.

Guest BooBooMama

I knew the facts - that about 20% of adult greys will be diagnosed with Osteo, and knew that given the number of hounds i have that it was only a matter of time until my turn came.

Do I hate that Osteo robbed me of Gifted Suzy much too soon? Absolutely. But will it stop me from loving the breed passionately and always having a grey (or 8) in my life? Absolutely not! However, I would love to see the numbers come down, and support education and research. What I do not want to see happen is people not adopt greys because they may get Osteo. The fact is, usually we are going to outlive our canine companions. What the greys give back to us for whatever time we have them far outweighs the grief of their passing.

I will never forget my journey with Suzy and Osteo. I learned so much during that time that will help me comfort and coach other adopters up here as they face the same disease. Most importantly, though, I learned to celebrate each and every day that I had left with her, a celebration that I shared here on GT. And I learned that GT'ers are the most supportive, caring group imaginable - with me every step of the way.

Deb

SO true.

I honestly haven't read the other thread to the point Onie Jones started being singled out.

Thank you for the reality check that we are here on this board because we love the breed and that does include that little guy in the back of my mind cancer. This topic reminded me of a home visit I did last summer with my then seven year old foster Grady (Mater) Little. This family was devoted to Irish Wolfhounds but they wanted a dog soon and the rescue didn't have any so they decided to try GHs. Anyway, they were very direct that the average age for IWs for boys is almost seven and the girls was seven and a few months! Right when we approved them for a GH two IW puppies were available for rescue. They went for the IWs because it is their breed. Yes, given the odds they would get as much time with my foster as they would with the puppies but they know and love that breed. I get their decision.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)