Given Has Dislocated His Rear Left Little Toe

Guest Bones_Sox63

Guest Bones_Sox63

While playing with Merle this morning he has somehow managed to do it, not quite sure, but he did, he is now at the vets under sedation and getting put back in place. My vet has said it will need splinting. Never having had a Grey do this on me before, what else can I expect when he gets home. Will it happen again and more regular now its happened once ? or what ?

Shawn

Edited by Bones_Sox63

If he has a splint, you'll want to: NOT go too long between bandage changes. The splint can rub foot/leg raw in spots, so you want to make sure that isn't happening. Will also have to be kept scrupulously DRY, so expect to put on a thick plastic bag each time pup goes out.

Won't necessarily happen more often, depends on how well it heals and that varies a lot from dog to dog. I do leash walks only for 3-6 weeks and so far that has worked for us.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Hey Shawn!

Sorry to hear about this!

Curfew did this a while back, but I was able to pop the toe back into place. I then wrapped it with vet wrap, and put him on Deramaxx. I had to restrict his activity for about three weeks.

I am pretty sure the vet will probably splint the toe somehow, and put him on an anti-inflammatory, and of course, have you restrict his activity.

Hope he heals soon! Sending love! Dee and The Five

If he has a splint, you'll want to: NOT go too long between bandage changes. The splint can rub foot/leg raw in spots, so you want to make sure that isn't happening. Will also have to be kept scrupulously DRY, so expect to put on a thick plastic bag each time pup goes out.

Won't necessarily happen more often, depends on how well it heals and that varies a lot from dog to dog. I do leash walks only for 3-6 weeks and so far that has worked for us.

Good luck!

Yep, very true on the bandage changes if he is splinted. They get raw and rubbed quickly!

Loca did that. Don't ever let the bandage get wet. Loca's did and she ended up with sores and an infected toe. I always used an empty IV bag over the foot, but it came off a few times, so keep on eye out for that.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Bones_Sox63

Given is home, what luck, his toe popped right back in nice and easy according to the vet. So she has not splinted him, his has Metacalm if he needs it, but so far today he has been perfectly calm and fine. I have to keep him calm for at least a week (yeah right) Any ideas on how to keep a 88 pound 4 year old from being a youthful idiot :P He is not happy that I wont let him off lead in his running area.

Thanks folks for all the advice you gave me, I shall bear it in mind if it ever happens again, (god i hope not, the scream of death !)

Shawn

Guest maelynnie

Have had lots of experience with this , ---no running in the house and leash walk for 8 weeks.

My pup dislocated her toe over a week ago and sedated and bandaged but didn`t help. Many xray and no fractures, the vet today said to get a Thera-paw boot but cant find them anywhere. Any ideas?

Therapaw

Have had lots of experience with this , ---no running in the house and leash walk for 8 weeks.

My pup dislocated her toe over a week ago and sedated and bandaged but didn`t help. Many xray and no fractures, the vet today said to get a Thera-paw boot but cant find them anywhere. Any ideas?

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest dawnsgreyhound

My Tommy just dislocated his left outer toe earlier this week. I have never had to deal with this issue before and have had him more than 6 years guess him being 9 now it is starting to catch up. But I took him to the vet once again for him to tell me he pulled a muscle because he was bearing weight on it. Upon coming home yesterday because we know our kids I started doing reasearch and came upon this site. We were able to put the toe back in place very quickly and today with it wrapped and a large piece of gauze in between the two toes he is walking almost normal. He does not like the bandages on his foot but is coping quite well now. I just wanted to say thank you to all the wonderful advice that we received from other grey owners. I am not sure what thread had the pictures of the gauze rolled in between the toes but it worked. So thank you thank you thank you, and I am sure if Tommy could type he would tell you too. I think it is now time to look for a new vet.

I bumped up my old "dislocated toe" topic in case it is of use to anyone with a current dislocation job. Best wishes to all the current dislocate-ees!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.