Comfortis !

Guest IrskasMom

Guest IrskasMom

A Friend of mine has a Greyhound ( 8 Month ).She had in the Beginning a Flea Problem and she said Frontline did not work for her.Now she is getting Comfortis , which is slightly more expensive but she says , it works extremly well for her. I read up about it and it does not take care of Ticks nor Mosquitos. If anybody is using this Product would you please let me know, if there are Side-Effects . The Active Ingredient is Spinosad.

Our vet is totally greyhound savvy. Her practice is Greys and Strays. She recommended Comfortis and it wiped out all fleas permanently from the farm dogs. Though it says it does not kill ticks it seems to repel them on my dogs here at home. I live in the woods and ticks are a big problem.Dogs do not get ticks but I do. Just took off one tonight. None of the farm dogs, my home greys, or my little dachshunds have had any problem with the Comfortis. It was a miracle for us. I get the size for the largest dogs and break one in half for my home greys, per vets recommendation. She is very cost conscious. I break it into six pieces for the little dachshunds, and each gets one sixth of a tab. It also seems to last longer than one month and I only give it every six or eight weeks now. Have not seen a flea since I started using this, and we had a DREADFUL time prior to Comfortis. Frontline was a big waste of money for us, as were the other well known products.

Hope this helps.

sue

Guest Energy11

I have been told by three vets, one very prominent, NOT to use Comfortis on Sighthounds ...

Just my two cents ... I would NOT use it on mine. sad.gif

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I can't use it because my dogs get a massive dose of Ivermectin every six weeks or so. Large doses (many times larger than the dose in Heartguard) of Ivermectin do not mix well with Comfortis.

We had a huge infestation here, and our sighthound savy vet recommended it. It really worked well, and Opie has only had one dose so far, and its been 6 weeks. The only issues many people have had with it is upset stomach when not given with a meal. I believe one person on here said they (or a friend, can't remember) was given a dose at the vet's office and dog got sick. My vet vet had me split the pill in half and give half with dinner, then the other half with breakfast, just to be sure there were no stomach issues. This works by making the fleas have seizures and die, also interrupting the egg laying process. (or so I am told. I also vacuumed, sprayed carpets with the Adams spray, and washed all the bedding multiple times. But the fleas on the dog were gone by the next day, and then we washed him to get all the dead fleas and flea poop off him (it was really bad!). Anyways, I have not had a problem with this, I know other people here use it and swear by it too. I paid $80 for a 6 month supply, although each dose seems to last longer than a month.

So there is my experience and opinion of this product. So far so good.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest KennelMom

It's fine for greyhounds. It works better than anything on the market for fleas. Don't give it to a dog getting a high dose of Ivermectin. The doses you give for heartworm prevention are fine. We have a couple of very sighthound savvy vets that treat our dogs...they have no problems with it and greyhounds, nor have we seen any issue with dogs.

That said, with ANY medication there's a chance a dog will have a side effect. ANY medication or drug.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

We've had great success with it, using only half a tablet instead of a whole. I have heard not to use it on seizure dogs, though.

Interesting...I wondered about this but haven't tried it. You're giving half of what dosage? The 60-120 lb pill or the 40-60 lb?

• 1 year later...

My vet (actually 3 of them) said not to break the Conforis in half because since it was not maked in the middle, you could not be sure you were getting the side with the medicine. I thought this sounded goofy. I know the adoption kennel only give 1/2 of the dose per month per dog and they have no fleas...

We were using Front Line and Pongo got Fleas. We went to the Vet and the Vet told us that the Front Line has become less successful down here. She recommended the Comfortis and Pongo has not had anymore fleas. They did not have any bad side effects either, but she did tell us to give it to them with food. We will be staying with the Comfortis, I do not want to take a chance otherwise with Pongo. He is very allergic to fleas.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest WhiteWave

We started using it and it works great. I do break it up for the smaller dogs with my vet recommendation. I use the biggest tablet and 1/4 it for our 4 small dogs. One is highly allergic to fleas and had literally itched herself raw and bloody. Since starting Comfortis she is healing up and regrowing hair.

We are going to eventually switch to Trifexis which is basically comfortis and interceptor so it does heartworms too.

Guest KennelMom

My vet (actually 3 of them) said not to break the Conforis in half because since it was not maked in the middle, you could not be sure you were getting the side with the medicine. I thought this sounded goofy. I know the adoption kennel only give 1/2 of the dose per month per dog and they have no fleas...

In general, yes, you should not break up non-scored pills because there's no guarantee you are getting an accurately split dose. It's not like they specifically only mix the medicine into one half of a pill so you get all or nothing - it's just that a scored pill *is* actually manufactured to have the active ingredient equally distributed between the scored sections. That can make a difference in a medication that has a very narrow safe or effective range to treat a specific condition, but Comfortis seems to work at much lower dosages than what they package for a given weight and it's for flea control...not a life threatening condition. Maybe not something I'd want to do with a med for thyroid or a heart condition unless directed to....but for this, I'm not too worried about it.

Side note: I actually have a board certified internal medicine vet having me break in half and sometimes quarter lysodren for our girl Stella and that is non-scored (and damn hard to break in half sometimes!)

We've had great success with it, using only half a tablet instead of a whole. I have heard not to use it on seizure dogs, though.

Interesting...I wondered about this but haven't tried it. You're giving half of what dosage? The 60-120 lb pill or the 40-60 lb?

I give half of the 60-120 lb pill. Works fine for us.

Guest BrianRke

I read all of the threads about Comfortis and I still can not decide if I want to try it. Some vets say yes, others say no. I think I'll probably wait until its been out for a while then maybe give it a try.