Tumor On Leg

Guest auforygirl

Guest auforygirl

They just noticed it today and I had come over for easter weekend and I looked at it. It is a large red bump on the her rear left leg between the paw and ankle. It wasn't bleeding or scabby and since that is something Pretty Girl (my grey) never had I told them to go to the vet. Well mom just called and said it was a tumor. She will take Bella back on Thursday for surgery to have it taken off. Not sure if it is cancerous or just benign. Hoping it is nothing of course. Does anyone else have any history on this? Is it common to have a tumor like this are they usually benign? When they get back from the vet I will take a picture of it. Send prayers for Bella. Sorry about the pic quality but it is the best I can do.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

Edited by auforygirl

This is Gracie's benign histiocytoma. We did not have it removed. It actually will nearly go away but only comes back partly. Others here have shown some on legs and ears.

DSC02257.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Tiffany

Our Stella has one on the back of her neck. It started out the size of a pencil eraser, but now a month later it is about the size of a nickle. We will be having it removed on Tuesday. Only because it's right behind her ear and when she scratches it, it's bleeds like crazy! It now has a few scratches and scabs on it, so we're thinking it might be better to have it removed....

Guest Swifthounds

IMG_0163.jpg

My Trojan has something that looks like this. His is on the outside of the upper portion of his right front leg. I noticed it about a year ago and it got a tad bigger, but has remained the same for about the last 10 months or so. Trojan is 13+ so unless it becomes a problem, I will simply keep an eye on it.

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo had one of these too - actually didn't have it removed, just aspirated. It was gone in a matter of days. Hugs to your parent's pup.

Guest Greyglo

Histiocytomas are benign and often on the legs. They're sometimes removed if they become irritating to the dog. Sending good wishes to your mom's dog from here.

This is my Bryn (the brindle) with one she wouldn't leave alone and had removed -

324844125.jpg

IMHO, instead of jumping right in to surgery, I'd have a fine needle aspirate done first. If it is a histiocytoma it usually does NOT need to be removed. They go away by themselves without treatment in 6-8 weeks. There is a possibility that it is a Mast Cell tumor and that does need to be removed with three inch margins on all sides. left to their own devices they can become cancerous. The cells when stained look different under the microscope so the vet should be able to tell with just a FNA sample.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

My Faolin just had a bump removed. It was soft, unattached, & about an 1" wide, 1/2" high, on his leg midway between elbow & ankle. rolleyes.gif Needle aspirate showed spindle cells so off it came. Peripheral nerve sheath tumor, grade 1, narrow (but clean) margins. It shouldn't recur or need further treatment. This is what it looked like:

IMG_0736.jpg

Hope Bella's is just a nothing. goodluck.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest bellasmom

Hello All!!

Just wanted all of you who prayed and wrote about your greyhounds and their tumors to know the latest news... We decided that we would feel better if the NGAP over in Philadelphia would look at the tumor since they know greys better than anyone...got an appt and took her over there today... (about an 1 hour away)... I thought they would look at it and tell me to come back for follow up etc.. they were great!!! Took xrays and took her tumor off and have sent it off for analysis... so we are not totally out of the woods but the Dr seems to think it is not cancer ... but keep her in your prayers for two more weeks (till we get the analysis report) They also took xrays to make sure she did not have cancer in her bones...she looked okay...

They clipped her nails and cleaned her teeth... bless her she is so out of it... she is not eating yet just resting ... I think she is glad to be home... she does not like crates or cages and I heard her crying... when I first got there to pick her up ... we are both tired and it has been a lonnnng day... but again thanks for all of you and your concern for Bella ...

Hugs

from Bellas Mom

(mom to Patti)

Guest FreddyGirl

Just stay with her as she comes out of the anesthesia. Bobbi cried for 2 hours after she got home after being put under for xrays.

ETA: I slept on Costco egg crate dog beds next to her on the living room floor. These buds are VERY comfortable!

Edited by FreddyGirl

Guest greytloves

My little guy gets those. When he gets his teeth cleaned the doc takes them off. Mainly because he starts licking them and worrying them until they ulcerate.

Hope all will be well! Keep us posted, and give some extra scritchies to your girlie from us.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest auforygirl

So Mom took Bella to NGAP in Philly, they looked at it and removed it today and everything should be fine. They don't think it is cancer but can't say for sure until the test comes back. But she got her teeth done and her nails did.

Guest bellasmom

This is Bella's Mom.. we just got the news that her tumor is BENIGN!!! Thank you all for your prayers and positive thoughts... It has been such a blessing to know that we are not alone and have someone to listen and "talk" to about our greyhound...

Thank you all..

Bella's Mom

(and patti's too)