Greyhound Schedule

Guest lisa_grublesky

Guest lisa_grublesky

We have had our grey for almost a year. She used to sleep through the night, but lately, she has been getting us up 1-2 times a night to go out. I don't understand what would cause the change, but we are hoping to get her back onto a schedule where she can "sleep" through the night without having to go out.

My husband and I both work, so she is crated most of the day (we have a dog sitter come and let her out during the day). At night she goes 2-3 times. Are we just giving her too much control as to when to go?

Help!!! I need sleep!!! :blush

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

A few things come to mind. First, has anything changed in your routine, or new construction around the area, etc? Second, has she had a vet visit lately to rule out UTI or other medical issues? If the answer is no to both, then maybe she just has decided to train you to take her out in the middle of the night. I would try either noise aversion (a metal can with nuts and bolts in it - shake the can when she starts to whine) or maybe a squirt gun, same thing. Although before doing either of these things, I would tell her to lie down and see if that works. If not, then try the other suggestions and see if she will settle down. I would also try to limit water intake about 2 hours before bedtime. Do you feed her close to bedtime? Do you take her out right before bed? I would be sure to feed her and take her out immediately after eating, then be sure to take up the water 2 hours before dinner and then take her out one last time before bed and be sure she eliminates at that time. Did you adopt from GO by chance? If you did, you can call the 847 number for help. If you dont have it, PM me and I can give it to you (I am an adoption rep for GO).

Do check medical; she could have a UTI if she's asking to go 2-3 times between the time you get home from work and bedtime, and then again twice during the night.

If nothing turns up medical, try this:

Right before bedtime, walk/turnout and be sure she's done her business.

When she gets you up, use a deep voice to say "go to bed," or whatever you use to tell her to lie down.

Then ignore ignore ignore.

FWIW, Kipper periodically decides he wants to patrol the yard for critters at 3am and noses me to go out. I tell him to go to back to bed, and he does, with an annoyed sigh.

But if there's a chance he's sick -- his tummy is growly, he didn't eat much that day or ate something new or unusual -- then I suck it up and go out with him.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Guest lisa_grublesky

Did you adopt from GO by chance? If you did, you can call the 847 number for help. If you dont have it, PM me and I can give it to you (I am an adoption rep for GO).

We did adopt from GO. I just thought that there were probably others going through this here that could help.

I am going to try the "LAY DOWN" tonight. Hopefully we won't wake to a pee-pee mess!!!!

She may be getting cold at night. If she's cold and it's waking her up, then she thinks she has to go. Try getting her to lay down and cover her with a blankie or put some jammies on her when you go to bed.

Though my first thought was ruling out a Urinary Tract Infection UTI). This will cause a dog to need to go many times when they normally wouldn't.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You didn't say how long "lately" was but I agree with all the other comments. My greys have only done this when ill not only with a UTI but with the big D. I watch them when they are in the back yard to see what they are doing. They either can't get out fast enough to pee or squat over and over again. You may want to watch them and see if you can. It may help you decide what the next step might be. In this case I always praise them for letting me know!

Guest lisa_grublesky

We just had Sundae at the vet for her yearly check in and shots. They drew blood and said everything was fine. We didn't ask about the UTI though.....

After reading some replies, it does seem that it could be the weather, as she started this in the winter....

We tried giving her a blankie last night. She still got up twice (UGH!) The second time, I said, go lay down....and she did...for 40 minutes before getting up again. I guess it will be a process. I am looking into getting some jammies. I think she kicks the blankets off, which then doesn't help. I think the jammies may keep her warm all night without her being able to houdini out of them.

Guest kydie

I vote for walk right before bed, blanket, UTI is also a good possibility, my setter frequently gets me up to patrol the backyard, but he is a BIG water drinker, so I never know, so I feel this way "better to get up than clean up" Good luck

Guest lisa_grublesky

I ordered pajamas yesterday! Hopefully they will be here soon.

Last night when she got up at 11:30 (we took her out and went to bed around 10:30), I told her to lay down. She did (with a grunt)...and though she did get up a few more times, I was able to tell her to lay down. Around 3 AM, it seemed that she was more insistent, so we took her out.

It is an improvement from twice to once....and there was no accidents. Step by step we are going to try to nip this in the butt.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!