Its Been Two Years This Month

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

Its been two years this month that Otis was suddenly gone...just gone....just like that....a few hours warning...a few hours of hell and he was gone.

I thought I was over it...that I was no longer going to feel guilty and sad. I actually live my life now and dont think of him each day.

But I still tell "Oaty Oats" story's....his name comes up in conversation and today I read some article about a dog getting bloat and I just started crying .....seeing in my mind that last day....and feeling so terribly sad...just like it was yesterday....The guilt just as strong.

I have to force myself to think different thoughts...I have to force myself to leave my boy again...I am at work and cannot cry today!!

Damn.....I hate this.....I still have these huge feelings inside. I think they will be there forever.

So I will go home in a few hours and be greeted by my lovely pup Roo...all licks and excitement and butt nudges....and I will feel better...but at the moment.....heartsickness.

Otis...you are the best...you are always in my heart.....until there are no more stars in the sky..... sweet Oaty Oats......

Edited by WarmheartedPups

Guest grtgreys

Well understood. We lost Tessa December 14th just taking her out for morning potties. She broke a leg just walking on it - it was osteo. No options for a 14+ year old Grand Dame. It was a horrible day. In February we adopted a cousin of

hers - 7 yo EC Spellbinging - better known as Shelley. She is as wonderful as her coucin was. Those who pass never really leave us Your Roo will comfort you today.

Joanne

Linda, I think of both you and Otis often. I remember the shock of his passing like it was yesterday. Nothing was your fault and rest assured that if there was anything could have prevented his passing, you would have done it. When we are so close to a situation it's easy to forget that sometimes we can't prevent terrible things from happening. He is loved and missed by so many of us. :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I was just thinking of you and wondering how you and Roo were.

You were Otis' everything, and you did all a person could for him.

I remember his sweetness, his perfectness above all. I hope one day those will be the first, the only things that come to your mind when you think of him.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Heehoo

Because you love him you'll always think about him. Sometimes the smallest little thing will bring back a good memory. That's what makes our relationships with them so special, we have something other people don't have, a good memory. :beatheart

I don't think I ever want to get over them, and I don't think you do either.

Guest lynne893

My childhood dog, Frisky, a terrier-golden mix, died of bloat at age 12.

I was off at college, it was just three months after my dad passed away and my mom was all alone with Frisky. Mom slept in her bedroom with the door closed as always and Frisky slept on the carpet in the hall outside of the bedrooms. My mom heard Frisky whimpering in the middle of the night, but just thought she needed to go out and was too tired to get up.

She found Frisky the next morning in the basement, on the cold concrete floor, dead and bloated. It was the most heart-breaking experience for her and for me to just know poor Frisky died that way. But my poor mom and the guilt...

I am so so sorry for your loss. I still tear up and it's been 10 years.... the guilt and sadness after a horrific death like that are powerful.

Try to be good to yourself. The most important thing you ever did for your pup Otis was love him and give him the best home you could. That is stronger, more powerful, and everlasting... much more powerful than the pain and hard last few hours. I promise!

Guest BlackandBrindle

Otis could not have had a better life than the one he had with you. There is no rhyme or reason why things happen at times and we are left to bear the brunt of the guilt, grief, and helplessness.

Otis was a boy who touched the hearts of so many. He was always one of my favorite GT pups. You did absolutely everything you could have for your sweet boy and he would not want you to feel that you let him down in any way.

You can't cry at work, so I'm crying here for you at home. :grouphug :grouphug

Give Mama Roo a big kiss and a hug for me. :grouphug

I can't believe it's already been two years. Sigh. Linda, he was a great dog. Everything you could want a best friend to be. Just the best. I have so many pictures of him that I love to look at. Two years? Wow. So much has changed in the past two years, and somehow I can't believe any of it. So much good, so much grief. I miss you and hope that you're doing well. Life sounds like it's been good to you, and I'm so happy for you. I wish Otis were here to share it, but I have to believe that he's SOMEWHERE that we'll get to see him again and in the mean time, I hope they've all found each other and can commisserate about what strange parents they had.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)