Question About Grey Toes

Guest greybookends

Guest greybookends

I had Miss Daytona to the vet yesterday. I noticed she was limping, well she limps all the time because she only has 1 toe on her right rear foot, but she was limping on the other one. I looked at it and she had been licking it and it looked like she had licked it raw. I cleaned it up, cut her toenails (I tried to do this a week ago and got all but this foot before she refused to let me cut anymore), and put a sock on her foot so she couldn't lick it anymore. A little while later I saw where she was seeping through the sock, so I called the vet to see if I could bring her in to have it checked out.

Well it seems she broke a nail and it was still bleeding a bit. They gave her a local and we got the nail cut and boy was it bleeding because it was WAY below the quick. Anyway once we got it to stop bleeding and got it all cleaned up we noticed what appeared to be a couple of cysts between her toes.This may be why she was refusing to let me cut the nails on this particular foot. I know all greys have large, long toes but Daytona's are really large and appear to be rubbing together. This may be places on her toes that are rubbing and may not be cysts. Daytona has lost all but one toe on her other foot, one was broke and was rubbing another so both were taken. Is it possible that her toes being as long as they are is what is giving her a problem? Also If these are cysts and need to be removed is she going to be able to get around with so many missing toes? Can the cysts be removed and she still be able to get around? I wouldn't be as concerned if she still had all of her toes on her other foot, but I am concerned about this.

We have another appointment for Thursday morning to make sure everything is healing nicely and make sure the swelling is down and that there is no infection (she is on antibiotics and some rymadil for pain and swelling), we will also be taking a closer look at the cysts between her toes and decide what needs to be done.

Has anyone else dealt with anything similar?

Lori I think there's been a recent thread or two about toe cysts.

For Daytona :dogcookie

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greybookends

Lori I think there's been a recent thread or two about toe cysts.

For Daytona :dogcookie

Thanks Ducky. I went back and did a search. Now I know what to take back to my vet and I have a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Guest ThunderPaws

Poor Daytona girl... :(

My GreenBean's toes rubbed together from a long hike in the woods and the skin between her toes got raw and nasty. It usually healed right up after a few days of rest.

On a greyhound farm, the breeder told me that one of his dogs has been limping, so he checked her feet and found a wart between the toes. He quickly pulled it out with his fingers (accompanied by the greyhound scream of death and lots of blood :o ) and everything was fine afterwards. He assumed that those warts grow from imbedded sand or dirt.

Well, I am not suggesting that you rip out Daytona's warts ;) , but wanted to share my story.

Give that silly ol girl a big hug for me, and tell her not to lose any more toes! :P

Guest arlosmom

Lori, Kingfish definately has toe trouble too. Not only the corns but the little toe on the right rear is shriveled up and I think rubs the next toe too. So far we have not seen any bumps in between the toe but I have thought of amputation. So I would be interested in any info you get concerning toe troubles of any kind.

Guest greybookends

We have an appointment for Thursday. As I said she only has one toe on her right foot. I would hate to start taking them from the other one.

Guest bluefawn

I would say that an x-ray would be your best bet, to make sure it isn't an old fracture or maybe a cyst of some kind. Sending hugs and prayers for healing for Miss Daytona!

Guest greybookends

Not likely an old fracture. She only ran 6 races and then went to the farm to be a momma. She had a broke toe that rubbed against the other toe which is why the ones on her right foot were amputated. If the others had been the same I am sure something would have been done about those as well.

The swelling and all should be down tomorrow and the pain eased so we can get a better look at the toes. Daytona will be 12 in May and I want to avoid anesthesia as much as possible.

Guest greybookends

We are back from the vet. Everything looks good. The toenail is healing nicely. All the swelling is down. The places between her toes are look much better. It looked like the swelling of her foot was aggravating the spots on her toes making them look like cysts. We are keeping the foot covered till it is completely healed just to keep her from licking it. All we have on it is a sock so it can breath.

All is well. :)

Guest bluefawn

Good news!! yay.gif I am so glad that she will be just fine! I know what you mean about the anesthesia. Penny turned 12 in January, and I am really debating as to whether or not to have her dental done.