Scratching At The Carpet

Guest peggy

Guest peggy

We recently moved (six days ago) into a home with wall to wall carpeting. Our previous house was wood floors with the occassional area rug.

Peggy is obviously happy in our new home with the comfy rugs to lay on everywhere, but she has developed this weird habit. She scratches agressively at different areas of the carpet. How can I correct this behavior?

When we are home and catch her, we make her stop. However, it is obvious by the claw marks in the fairly deep pile carpet that she is doing this whiel we are away, in almost every area of the home where carpet is accessible.

Thoughts?

Sunshine used to do that when we first got her. We would come home and she was too scared to come greet us so she would scratch at the carpet in a frenzy. That slowly moved onto jumping up at us... and now she just greets us like a normal pup. We just ignored the digging and it went away.... Not sure what you can do about it when your not home...

------

Jessica

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

When you are not at home, try going to a hunting goods store and get some neoprene hunting booties that velcro. If she still digs, at least her nails wont be able to do much damage.

Chad

My male does this but only in my bedroom, it's where he spends the most time and he does it in the sun and then lays there, almost like nesting. I just ignore the behavior.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest NJgrey

Does she just like to nest? Maybe throwing a blanket or towel in a designated spot might give her a "target" of sorts for the behavior.

Sounds like she's nesting. A lot of greyhounds do this when on carpeting, it's their way to try and "fluff" up the spot they want to lay in. I corrected all of mine when they did it and then directed them to their nice soft beds.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest mountain4greys

Sounds like nesting to me to. My hounds do that from time to time, but figured out it works better to nest in their beds or a blanket.

Guest bluefawn

Yep, they are "fluffing" up a place to lay on! Penny does it all the time. She loves to lie at the front door when I have it open and the sun is shining through the full storm door. So I started moving one of her beds there when I open the door, and she stopped it.

I would not put neoprene boots on a dog for any extended period of time--there are lighter weight, more breathable choices if it were to come to needing boots.

George did this in my new condo--and actually ripped the carpet (very cheap builder grade carpet used in the "Flip" of the property). I ended up putting tile by the door since that's where he was doing it, but now I have a cheap comforter for him where he was scratching (and brand new carpet). He just wanted to nest, and the carpet was all he had to "dig" in!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I would not put neoprene boots on a dog for any extended period of time--there are lighter weight, more breathable choices if it were to come to needing boots.

George did this in my new condo--and actually ripped the carpet (very cheap builder grade carpet used in the "Flip" of the property). I ended up putting tile by the door since that's where he was doing it, but now I have a cheap comforter for him where he was scratching (and brand new carpet). He just wanted to nest, and the carpet was all he had to "dig" in!

Why not?

Why not?

Too hot.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck