I Cannot Keep Patton's Earsies Clean!

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Patton has dirty, dirty ears. So gross. His ears have always been dirty like this, and every vet we saw, said his ears are fine, just dirty. Not waxy - but dry, flaky, crud (ew.) Every once in a awhile, he'll scream or cry when he scratches his ears; but, since we've been to the vet multiple times about this, (and told nothing is wrong) we assumed he's being a drama queen (he is a bit of one, anyway.) His ears do not have an odor, he has no temperature, and no behavior changes. He also still eats like a champ, and plays. No indication he is not feeling well. So, out of frustration, saw a different vet in the same practice we normally go to. This time, she took a scope-like thing to look deep inside his ears. That poor Patton screamed like I've only heard once before - while he was being attacked. It was a heart-breaking, gut wrenching , cry, and obviously he was in a LOT of pain. However, lo, and behold, she noticed an infection deep, deep, deep in his ear. As soon as they pulled the scope out of his ear, he was immediately back to his normal self, wagging his tail, demanding ear scritches from the 2 vet techs it took to hold onto him, so the vet could look at him. And, Patton scared the hell out of everyone in the waiting room with his screaming, since when we were finished, and walked out of the exam room, everyone looked at him, like they were shocked he was alive. :) Poor little guy.

So, we have new ear drops for 2 weeks (yay me,) and then back for another checkup. I hope this works, and we can maybe keep his earsies clean.

Has anyone had trouble keeping their grey's ears clean? This dirt/flaky stuff is like cement!

Guest eaglflyt

Did the vet say anything about possible allergies (food or environmental) that may be contributing to, or causing, the ear flakiness/dryness/itchiness?

Guest Energy11

I was thinking food/other types of allergies, too.

Best to clean his ears out every other day with ear cleaning solution. I like Oti-soothe. Might keep the infection from starting again.

Hope this clears up soon. Poor guy!

Guest MorganKonaAlex

My Kona had dirt producing ears. We switched food and it cleared right up. As others have said, it could be a food allergy.

Guest Energy11

Cari was chewing and chewing her skin! She also had a lot diarrhea. She is now on Canidae Grain-free kibble and canned. BEAUTIFUL coat, and NO diarrhea! colgate.gifwink.gif

Gee was constantly having ear infections due to her allergies. I discovered Zymox and once a month for 3 days I will put the drops in her ears and we've never had another problem. It not expensive and putting the drops in twice a day is no problem. The first indication her ears are bother her is that she will scratch at them. When I see her doing that I will put the drops in and problem solved.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Shermanator

What kind of foods might cause this? I just recently noticed Sam flapping his earsies much more than usual and upon examination--crud! Yuck. We go to doctor in the next few days, but I am wondering if maybe its a food allergy? There's no smell, etc. Hmmm.

That is the same as Patton.

What do people notice their dogs were allergic to?

How to I change their food? They have eaten the same thing for YEARS!

Guest Energy11

What kind of foods might cause this? I just recently noticed Sam flapping his earsies much more than usual and upon examination--crud! Yuck. We go to doctor in the next few days, but I am wondering if maybe its a food allergy? There's no smell, etc. Hmmm.

That is the same as Patton.

What do people notice their dogs were allergic to?

How to I change their food? They have eaten the same thing for YEARS!

I'd maybe try grain-free food. As I mentioned in a previous post, Cari does really well on Canidae Grain-Free. I get it through Petfood Direct. as they are NO places around her to buy decent dog food. Anyway, I'd get the new food, and start mixing it 12/1/2 with the old food, until Patton is on all the new stuff. Hope you get to the bottom of this soon! Good Luck!

I put Gee on Taste Of The Wild Prairie and it made a huge difference in her ears and her scratching.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

can you gently clean the outer part of his ears? maybe baby oil on a cotton ball and wipe them clean, don't go into the canal at all. just the cosmetic exterior which is easy to clean. as the infection heals there most likely will be black waxy crud that can gently be removed. remember to hold/pull(gently) his ear straight up when you insert the drops and rub the drops into the canal. this should feel pretty good to him. one vet had me stuff a small cotton ball in to keep the meds in emily's ear so she wouldn't shake it out. i didn't keep the cotton ball in, just temporarily so she didn't shake the meds out. emily came to me with a deep ear infection. 2 rounds of meds and it was cleared up. i hope you are as lucky.

all of the ear inflamation that i have dealt w/ just pop up, sometimes difficult to clear up, sometimes easy. remember their ears are like funnels and catch lots of dirt and debris, maybe that's what some of the krud is. oh, be careful not to get water down their ears when they are bathed, i use a wash cloth or sponge to clean all the folds and cotton swab it after the bath.

do talk to your vet when you return for his recheck about maintance and cleaning as well.

Guest Brindled_Greys

The only time we had ear trouble was when we first got Thriller. I noticed he kept scratching at them, and they seemed to keep getting a gunky build up a few days after cleaning his ears. Turns out he had ear mites. Got drops, they went and away, and we've never had them since.