Those With Ls Experience

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Ok, let me start by saying that I dont really think this is early onset LS, but I am not a vet and have no prior experience with LS other than what I have read here. Occurance:

I was brushing my hounds outside with a "kong" brush (rubber brush with deep pointed soft "teeth"). I get to Bart who is about to turn 7 next month and start brushing from his neck down to his rump. I am brushing rather rough as he really enjoys this on his flanks. When I get to the area around his hip points on his back he tucks his tail, gives a bit of a scream and sits down. No trembling or anything else. Ok, so I do it again, this time not applying as much pressure and he just sits down. I try to manually pinch the area with my fingers to see if I can get the same reaction, nothing. So I personally am thinking that he is "ticklish" and it just bothers him, BUT, I would like to see if anyone that has any LS expereince had any of these early "red flags"? I love my boy and if this is a red flag, I would love to take care of it early.

Thanks.

Chad

Hey, Chad, Dr. Stack's article here: http://greythealth.com/lumbosacral.htm tells you how to do the LS test. It's possible Bart just has a ticklish heinie -- Joseph does, and while he doesn't sit down, in early days he would snap if you got too vigorous with the butt scritches. Now we both know he just doesn't like that kind of thing :lol . Fingers crossed for the Bart-man!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Thanks Jey, I have to take my new girl Jesse into the vet for her first checkup, I will bring Bart and ask her to see if she can palpitate his rear end to see if he exhibits early LS behavior. Thank you.

Chad

Hope it's nothing!!! :hope :hope :hope

our 85 lb lab Chester had LS, but never exibited any pain at ALL. He just started having more and more problems getting up, going up/down the stairs, etc. but never once yelped or anything...finally his whole back half literally whithered away over time. He was still going strong, not in pain, so we carried him up and down our stairs. He lived to be just 4 months shy of his 15th birthday with it. :wub: sending hugs to Bart, you, Jen and of course Miss Olive and Miss Jesse :kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest smarthound

Hi Chad,

Lacey was diagnosed with LS from a physical exam. Later we had xrays taken that revealed arthritis mid-spine but no LS. You might want to consider xrays to verify a diagnosis.

We also had a pup that was diagnosed and treated for LS. I'll be happy to share into with you when you're ready.

Good luck with the exam.

Guest MnMDogs

Matty used to tell me she'd had enough brushing by kind of yelping, snapping, tucking her butt and running. This was before I realized that's what she was trying to tell me. But over the years, I realized that her butt area was a sensitive spot for her.

Take Dr. Stack's info to your vet and ask if he would consider giving Bart the same injection. I have seen vets give the injection for arthritis also and it works wonders.......does not cure anything...just decrease the imflamation so the will subside for several months.