Osu Greyhound Conference Logistics - 3/6/10

As many of you know, I am lucky enough to live in Central Ohio, near Ohio State University's excellent Greyhound Health and Wellness Center. The first annual Greyhound Conference is scheduled to take place this Saturday. Here is some logistical information to help you out while you are visiting Columbus.

The conference will be held in the conference center at the OSU Veterinary Hospital. For those of you who have been to the hospital, the entrance is different than the clinic entrance. If you are facing the small animal hospital and clinic entrance, you will drive to the left side of the building. You will see a set of double glass doors on the side of the hospital with a concrete "awning". Parking is in the lot to your left. Be sure to park in the paid permit parking area, not the monthly permit area. It is fairly clear when you get there. The area where you should be parking allows you to purchase an hourly or daily parking pass. I have been told that the conference has purchased use of at least part of the parking lot. Hopefully it will be well marked. They told me to have you park in this area but do not pay for a permit. If for some reason, you receive a ticket, do not pay it and turn it into the conference office.

If you have not registered, I am told you can register on-site at 8:00 am. There are currently about 100 pre-registered attendees. A continental (light) breakfast will be available from 8 to 9 am. The first session of the conference starts at 9:00 am.

I will follow this post with others giving suggestions for meals and sightseeing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jane

Let me first say that I am not a travel agent, nor do I live in the OSU Area. I used to have a job that involved taking clients to dinner on an expense account. Now that I am unemployed, my dining out experiences are to much less expensive places. So here is a first post regarding what is available close to the OSU vet school and also downtown Columbus.

You should also be aware that 200,000 athletic enthusiasts are also descending on Columbus this weekend for the Arnold (Schwartzenegger) Fitness Event. So things will probably be a bit crowded.

The University Plaza Hotel is located at 3110 Olentangy River Road. This road runs roughly north and south, parallel to the US315 highway.

There is a McDonalds very close to this hotel. That would be a quick breakfast. For a more leisurely breakfast, I would suggest Bob Evans. There are two near OSU. One is right next to the hotel at 3140 Olentangy River Road.

The other one is south of campus at 1455 Olentangy River Road. This is called the Lennox Town Center area. From your hotel you would go south on Olentangy River Road (I think it would be a left). You will go past Lane Avenue, continuing on Olentangy River Road. The road "sort of" dead ends. At this point turn left to stay on Olentangy River Road (turning right will put you on Kinnear which heads off to the west).

These are two of the major retail areas around the Vet School. The third is the Lane Avenue Shopping Center Area. From Olentangy River Road, Route 315 or the Vet School, head west on Lane Avenue. You will see some restaurants along the way and then come to the Lane Avenue Shopping Center on the left.

There are a lot of choices for dinner.

If you want a very quick stop, there are good fast food Asian places (better than most fast food Chinese) on Lane Avenue, just west of campus. One is called Tais Asian Bistro. Entrees are $6.50 to $9.00. I have had the Dan Dan noodles and the Pad Thai. Both were very good. The other is called Pho Noodle. Pho Noodle has a larger selection and very slightly lower prices. The Pad Thai and Dan Dan are good but not quite as good as Tais. I LOVE the Thai green curry and the Thai red curry here, but beware, they are both very hot. I had the garlic chicken once and thought it was so-so. If you continue west on Lane Avenue there is a Graeter's Ice Cream Parlor (just before La Chatelaine). IMHO it is absolutely the best ice cream in the world. Be sure to get a chocolate chunk flavor. You can also get something healthy at the deli in the Whole Foods Grocery Store.

Other restaurants in the Vet School area are mainly chain restaurants. If you want something different try the following areas (just a few miles away).

Short North Area:

Head east until you get to High Street (the main north/south drag in Columbus). Turn right to go south. The Short North Area runs from roughly the 900 block (on the north end) to the 500 block (on the south end). The day of the conference is also the monthly Gallery Hop. The businesses in the Short North stay open late and there is usually music and streetside events. The stores in the area tend to sell one of a kind artsy type things. Expect parking to be difficult. The more upscale restaurants have valet parking for a fee.

Some restaurants here include:

Rigsby's (long time one of the top five in Columbus) -- upscale Italian and fairly pricy

Martinis -- pricy Italian but reputed to be very good, I have not been here

Marcella's -- mid price Italian and good

Hyde Park Steak House -- excellent steak house but pricy

Lemongrass -- pacific rim fusion mid price. I have eaten at Lemongrass once. I had Pad Thai which was good but no better than Tais Bistro. The atmosphere however was tons better

L'Antibes -- romantic French, very pricy (also a top 10 restaurant);

Rosendales -- classic fine dining, pricy;

Haiku -- upscale pan-asian and sushi;

Barley's -- a brew pub, known for great beer;

Betty's -- I have not eaten here but I hear it is good. Prices are $9 to $13 for pasta, $9 to $15 for entrees, sandwiches are $8 or $9.

Benevolence Café (41 W Swan Street) about 50 feet down Spruce Street from the North Market homemade vegetarian soups, stews and homemade breads served at a communal table. I have not eaten here but have heard great things. I believe it is fairly inexpensive but have not found a menu. It is hidden on a side street (actually more of an alley). Profits go to a Nature Sanctuary. It is only open from Monday to Saturday from 11am to 3 pm. I recently heard that they might have closed.

Really for the Short North, you just park your car and walk up and down the street until you see something you like. There are some inexpensive restaurants here -- I just haven't tried them.

The North Market is just south and west of the Short North. It closes at 5 pm but if you are still here on Sunday (or Friday), it is a great place to walk around and try different foods. You buy your meals at one of the 35 vendors and sit at the tables located upstairs or various places at the market. The prices are inexpensive. It is located at 59 West Spruce (just a block or so west of High Street) -- The landmark is to find the Convention Center on High Street and head west. There is parking near the market but be sure to get your ticket validated by a market vendor.

If you continue south on High Street, you will pass Broad Street (the main east/west drag in Columbus). Continue south a little bit and the German Village will be to your left and the Brewery District will be on your right. There are a few restaurants in the Brewery District and there are many restaurants in German Village. German Village is centered around 3rd Street, which is one way southbound. (Take 4th Street, one block to the east, to go northbound). So from High Street you will turn left (anywhere from Broad Street to Livingston Avenue) and go three short blocks until you reach 3rd Street. Turn right on 3rd Street and that will take you into the heart of German Village.

German Village restaurants:

Lindey's (169 E Beck) (Lindey's is one of my favorites)

Barcelona (263 E Whittier Street).

Schmidts Sausage Haus (240 E Kossuth) provides German food but is quite touristy. They are known for their Bahama Mama sausages, meatloaf and cream puffs. It is more "family" than upscale.

Katzinger's deli (475 south Third) serves good sandwiches.

Thurman Cafe

The Old Mohawk

The Book Loft is an interesting Book Store in a twisty and turny old house. It is located at 631 S Third. Here is a link to businesses in German Village:

http://www.german-village.com/businesses/businesses.htm

For the most part, numbered streets in Columbus run north/south and numbered avenues run east/west. So Fifth Avenue runs east/west and Fourth Street runs north/south.

Other Suggestions in Different Areas.

There are a lot of restaurants along Grandview Avenue and West Fifth Avenue. This is just not my normal "stomping ground" so I am not familiar with them. Many of them get good reviews.

Banana Leaf -- this is an all you can eat vegetarian Indian buffet. It is quite good. The price is about $15. Go north on 315 to Bethel Road and head west (only way you can go). You will see a McDonald's on the right hand side. Turn left to get to the shopping center behind the McDonalds. Banana Leaf is hidden in the left most corner of the shopping center.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have a specific cuisine or price point.

Scali's -- this is pretty far away but it is my favorite Italian Restaurant in town. It is on the far east side in the Reynoldsburg area. Entrees are $12 to $18.

El Acapulco -- this is on the far north side in the Polaris area. It is pretty well hidden so call for directions. It is a basic Mexican Restaurant but has the best Mole I have found in Columbus. The chili rellenos are also good (they are not deep fried and are very cheesy. I prefer the black beans to the refried beans. I had a chimichango once that was not great. Prices are pretty inexpensive.

A good Chinese restaurant that is fairly inexpensive is Lucky House in Westerville. It is pretty far away from the campus area.

Columbus has a lot of good Japanese restaurants. My favorite sushi place is Sapporo Wind, on the north side of Columbus. The sushi is good and the price is reasonable (although sushi is generally pretty pricy for the amount you get.)

Hope this info helps.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

Four and Five Star Restaurants in the Columbus Area (from the Columbus Monthly Magazine):

If you want to have a nice evening out, here are the restaurants that are consistently ranked the best. Most of them are quite pricy. The exceptions would be Marcella's, Figlio and Spagio which are moderately priced. All of them are Italian influenced.

THE FIVE STARS

Alana’s, 2333 N. High St. (campus), 294-6783. This gem serves outstanding creative and seasonal dishes, with such distinctive names as the “Cornmeal fried green tomato all cheesy like with chorizo and sweet corn vinaigrette.” Dessert menu is also creative, and the wine list is exceptional. Only menu I could find was from a New Years Eve. Entrees were from $22 to $28

Kihachi, 2667 Federated Blvd. (northwest), 764-9040. Kihachi offers gracious service, artfully arranged dishes and outstanding cuisine. The finest bluefin toro is available here, as is the traditional Omakase dinner, which must be ordered at least two days in advance. Very authentic Japanese restaurant with leisurely but excellent service. Best to select multiple appetizers for your meal. I couldn’t find a menu online but am told this restaurant is Pricy

Refectory, 1092 Bethel Rd. (northwest), 451-9774. The Refectory is located in a restored 19th-century church. Its French-style cuisine is prepared with great flair and attention to detail. The wine list is superb. Entrée’s are $25 to $34. Long considered one of the best restaurants in Columbus. Formal, coat and tie required. They also have a Bistro menu serving a light dinner in their lounge for $24, dress is more casual. Note that the Bistro menu has very limited hours (just 5 to 6 pm on the weekends, 5:30 to 8:30 M-Th). I have eaten here once. I found the food to be excellent but it was extremely expensive for what you got.

Rigsby’s Kitchen, 698 N. High St. (near north), 461-7888. The frequently changing menu of American-style food with Italian overtones is full flavored. It’s one of those places where you can order at will. Rigsby’s sourdough bread is outstanding. Entrees are mostly between $23 and $30. Sides are extra. They have a bar with a less expensive menu. ($12 to $18). I love this restaurant – it was one of my favorites when I had an expense account. Too pricy for me now  .

THE FOUR STARS

Barcelona, 263 E. Whittier St. (German Village), 443-3699. A German Village favorite, Barcelona serves satisfying appetizers, pastas and delicious entrees in a casual, yet elegant environment. Try the artfully arranged hummus, calamari in a paper bag or a homemade dessert. Entrees are $20 to $28. Tapas (small plates) are $5 to $9. Lunch entrees are $9 to $13. I have had lunch here, on the patio. It was very good.

The Burgundy Room, 641 N. High St. (near north), 464-9463. Select a drink from the five-page wine menu, then decide on an entree or two, all of which are enthusiastically recommended at the hip, elegant tapas and wine bar. Standouts include home-style meatloaf, calamari, fried butternut squash ravioli and beef carpaccio. Tapas range from $5 to $14. Larger plates are $15 to $22

DeepWood, 511 N. High St., (downtown), 221-5602. Stuffed pasta in a spring onion broth,Vermont rack of lamb and bacon-wrapped monk fish are just a few of the simple and elegant American dishes offered at this four-star restaurant. Menu includes a broad wine list, as well as one of the best martinis in town. Entrée’s from $21 to $30

Doc Henderson’s, 318 E. Fifth St., Marysville (northwest), (937) 642-6661. This stylish restaurant in a former doctor’s mansion boasts a wide-ranging and interesting menu. Dishes are creative and well executed; items worth trying include chicken saltimbocca, panko-fried calamari and arugula salad. Entrée’s $22 to $30

Dragonfly Neo-V Cuisine, 247 King Ave. (near north), 298-9986. Dragonfly serves up colorful and boldly flavored vegetarian fare. Menu items change every three months, but stay imaginative and well executed. Wash the food down with an organic cocktail, wine or a nonalcoholic juice drink. Entrées are $17 to $22.

Eddie Merlot's, 1570 Polaris Pkwy. (northeast), 433-7307. Recommended dishes at this upscale steakhouse include artichoke dip, smokin' shrimp cocktail, Atlantic platter and just about any steak. The desserts were just as good, and the wine menu is extensive. Open for dinner 7 days. Entrée’s are $25 to $50 (a la carte)

Figlio, 1369 Grandview Ave., 481-8850; 3712 Riverside Dr. (in the Golden Bear Center), 459-6575 (both northwest). Two of the liveliest, and noisiest, gourmet pizza places in town. Look for pizzas such as kung pao shrimp and wild mushroom to emerge from the wood-burning oven. Pastas are $12 to $15, Pizzas are $10 to $13

G. Michael’s Bistro, 595 S. Third St. (German Village), 464-0575. Find delicious food and delightful dining at this Italian-American bistro, where dishes are well executed and salads have flavorful dressings. The cornmeal-crusted salmon and the lamb loin chops are first-rate. Entrees are $20 to $28

L’Antibes, 772 N. High St., Suite 106 (near north), 291-1666. This small Short North spot is a longtime favorite for French fare. Dishes include lamb loin, a filet of beef with a rich Roquefort sauce and veal sweetbreads. Entrée’s are $23 to $40

Latitude 41, 50 N. Third St. (downtown), 233-7541. Located in the Renaissance hotel, this restaurant emphasizes the use of fresh and local ingredients in its dishes, prepared excellently by chef Tony Miller. The menu of Latitude 41—the creation of South Florida chef Dean James Max—changes often. Entrées are $18 to $35

Lindey’s, 169 E. Beck St. (German Village), 228-4343. A favorite with Columbus Monthly readers, this chic bistro has fine cooking and service at lunch and dinner. Diners here love the tournedos as well as the pasta dishes and rack of lamb. Pastas are $13 to $18. Regular Entrees are $22 to $33. A la Carte (sides are extra). This is a long time favorite of mine. This, along with Rigsby’s was my go-to restaurant while entertaining business visitors on my expense account. Too expensive for me now though.

Marcella’s, 615 N. High St. (near north), 223-2100; 1319 Polaris Pkwy. (northeast), 844-6500. You’ll find a bustling atmosphere reminiscent of a Parisian brasserie, but the food here is a selection of well-executed Italian dishes, such as expertly fried calamari, carpaccio and linguine and clams. The menu lists extensive pizza selections, pastas and hot and cold plates for sharing. Entrees are $12 to $19. Salads are extra. I have eaten here twice and was pleased both times. Good Italian food.

Martini Modern Italian, 445 N. High St. (downtown), 224-8259. It offers tasty Italian fare, such as bruschetta, lasagna and veal and spinach ravioli. Also check out the inventive cocktails, a small but interesting wine list and the tasty desserts. Entrees are $17 to $42

Spagio, 1295 Grandview Ave. (northwest), 486-1114. A high-energy gathering place, Spagio serves “spa” food such as gourmet pizza and pastas. Always leave room for dessert. Entrees are $18 to $28. Pasta Entrees are $10 to $17. Gourmet pizzas are $10 to $14. I have had pizza here. The pizzas are on the small side (about 10 to 12 inches) for the price. Very good and interesting pizzas though.

Third & Hollywood, 1433 W. Third Ave. (northwest), 488-0303. A new concept from the owners of Northstar Cafe, Third & Hollywood is the city's newest four-star restaurant. Recommended dishes include guacamole and pimento cheese, grilled artichokes, cheddar herb biscuits, old-fashioned chicken dinner and the vegetable plate. I couldn’t find a menu but reviews say it is $18 to $30 for an entrée.

The Worthington Inn, 649 High St. (northwest), 885-2600. High-quality ingredients, culinary tradition and imagination blend at this comfortably refined country-inn-type restaurant. Start with a delicious soup or salad and an artfully elegant appetizer, and the entrees will not disappoint. Entrees are $18 to $30. This is a great white tablecloth restaurant. Whenever I had a large dinner party (once again, expense account), I would bring them here. They have several smaller dining rooms so we could eat by ourselves. The food was excellent but I haven’t been here in a while.

General Information on Columbus and its Neighborhoods. This did not copy well from my Word Document. If you would like it in a formatted form just PM me with your email.

Columbus has a lot going for it. Columbus is a large city with over a million people in the metro area. The center of Columbus is the intersection of High Street (Route 23) and Broad Street. The OSU campus area extends west from High Street from about 5th Avenue to 17th Avenue.

Some of the things we love about Columbus:

1) The people are very nice and friendly

2) Quite diverse for a Midwestern city

3) There are a lot of good neighborhoods in the city (not just the suburbs)

a) German Village (just south of downtown)

i) Beautiful architecture

ii) Restaurants and pubs

iii) The Book Loft book store

iv) South Third Street is the center of German Village

B) Short North (just north of downtown)

i) Arts

ii) Restaurants

iii) The North Market

iv) The gallery hop the first Saturday evening of each month

v) Runs from the 400 block to the 800 block of North High Street

c) Grandview (just west of downtown)

i) Restaurants

d) Bexley (far east side of the city, along and south of Broad Street)

i) Fine old money architecture

e) Upper Arlington (northwest of OSU)

i) Great family area

f) Clintonville (northwest of OSU)

i) Young couples

ii) Great starter homes in a city setting

iii) Very eco conscious

g) Italian Village

i) Restored Italianate homes

h) Victorian Village

i) Restored Victorian homes

i) Brewery District (just south of the city and just west of German Village)

i) Restaurants

j) Arena District (centered around Nationwide arena on the near north of the city)

i) Restaurants and bars

4) Not as much traffic problems as you would expect in a large city. Easy to get around because the roads are laid out in a grid system (Numbered Streets go north-south and numbered Avenues go east-west.

5) Great shopping. The malls (Tuttle Crossing, Polaris, Easton) as well as the shopping districts in the towns (Worthington, Westerville, Powell (antiques), and the Short North (funky and artistic)

6) BUCKEYE Pride

7) A great Metro Park System

8) Library Systems that are ranked among the best in the US

9) Great Universities (not just OSU) that bring a lot of well educated people to the area

10) All the festivals downtown in the summer (there is one practically every weekend)

11) Center of Science and Industry – COSI is an interactive museum

12) The Columbus Zoo – home of Jack Hanna, now ranked as the best zoo in the country

For more info on local events:

http://www.experiencecolumbus.com

For a map indicating the neighborhood areas:

http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/pdf/columbus_area_map.pdf

For a map of the downtown areas:

http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/pdf/downtown_map.pdf

For a detailed walking tour of the Short North area:

http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/pdf/walking_tour_short_north.pdf

For some themed self guided tours of Columbus:

http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/tour-planners-sample-itineraries.cfm

For info on the Columbus Zoo:

http://www.columbuszoo.org/

For info on the Center of Science and Industry:

http://www.cosi.org/

Wow! Thank you for posting all of this greyt information!!! I'm printing it all out to take with me!!!

I'm guessing you'll be at the conference so I hope to meet you in person! We'll have our little diabetic greyhound puppy, Phantom, with us part of the time. When I talked to OSU they told me that they'd have sitters on hand to watch over the greys while we are in the auditorium.

See you this Saturday!

Sheila

Edited by retiredracers

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Wow! Thank you for posting all of this greyt information!!! I'm printing it all out to take with me!!!

I'm guessing you'll be at the conference so I hope to meet you in person! We'll have our little diabetic greyhound puppy, Phantom, with us part of the time. When I talked to OSU they told me that they'd have sitters on hand to watch over the greys while we are in the auditorium.

See you this Saturday!

Sheila

Yes, I will be at the conference. They will have a limited number of runs available in the greyhound oncology ward. The runs are 3 feet by 10 feet or 6 feet by 10 feet. They have volunteers on hand to take the visitors for potty breaks, etc. This area will not have a doctor monitoring it. The volunteers may not be there constantly.

Jane

My vet wanted to attend but couldn't make it work with her other obligations. I can't go either.

Could GTers attenting see if there are papers from the conference that we could purchase or otherwise acquire? I don't want anyone to do anything unethical. But if it's okay to share that stuff, I'd be glad to pay for it.

Have a great and informative weekend! I'm so happy for those who get to go! colgate.gif

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).