Ace Is Starting Chemo & Prednisone Therapy

Ace will be starting her chemo soon for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. The chemo drug is Chlorambucil (Leukeran). She is to take 20 mg every two weeks. She is also going to be on prednisone, 25 mg every other day.

She already takes Springtime Fresh Factors every day. Should I add some milk thistle too, to help support her liver? To be honest, I'm more worried about the prednisone than the chlorambucil.

Any supplements I should be giving her to help?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Talk to the oncologist before starting any supplements. Most oncologists don't like the patient to be on supplements during chemo because of a fear of it interfering with it's effectiveness.

Guest K9Cookies

Bonnie was on this protocol for lymphoma. We didn't notice any side effects from the Leukeran. Be careful when you handle that one (I wore latex gloves), and I believe it needs to be refrigerated. We did have issues with the pred and constantly peeing. I think we had to lower the dose a little and that helped tremendously.

When Bonnie was getting all of these chemo meds, we also did Chinese Herbs. These were through a holistic vet. They really helped. We didn't do the Fresh Factor or milk thistle. I'd do the Chinese herbs again if I had to.

Good luck! :goodluck Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Prayers coming your way for Ace. My Brandi has been on pred since 2004. Started with .50 or .60 mg. every day and now she has been weaned down to .2mg every other day. Acupuncture has kept her liver and kidney levels at a norm. I do have her checked yearly for those levels. Would also check with the onocologist about supplements. Brandi takes BioChem Liver Support Factors which we get from www.vitacost.com. It is a herbal formula for health of the liver which was recommended by her holistic vet.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg