Harness Advice Needed

Our young greyhound Callie gets very excited on her walks when she sees another dog or people and starts spinning and jumping. In addition to some training, we want to use a harness to protect her from slipping out of the martingale and getting away from us. Any good suggestions from those of you who have had success in a similar situation? Thanks for your advice - we want to keep this little one safe.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Wiggles Wags and Whiskers makes a no pull harness that is excellent, works very well with our new girl and we've used it for two other pullers.

JJ is a bad puller and their newest one with a ring on the top and one on the chest did the trick with her.

Thank you both so much. This is exactly what we are looking for. It will give us an extra measure of safety when we have Callie out walking. I'm going to order one today! colgate.gif

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Guest 4dogscrazy

You'll probably have to teach her the "watch me" command to get all that excitement to stop! Personally, I never walk any of mine with out a harness, I just feel like I have so much more control. Good luck!

That command sounds like such a good idea. We know we will have to do some training along with the harness. I also thought to bring some food treats as a reward when she responds well. "Watch Me" will get her attention on us rather than the distractions on our walks. Thanks for the hint!

I bought a WWW harness for my sorta spooky girl, Claire and loved it so much that I ordered one for Carl the day Claire's arrived! I ordered mine from GEM because I like buying from a group. After buying the harness and using it every day, I don't know why I'm still buying collars!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Another vote for the WWW harness here. While DH walks Opie with just his collar, I always use the harness when I walk him. He is big and excitable, and while he usually listens, there are a few dogs in the neighborhood he hates (running free of course - grrr) plus small animals or motorcycles that really get him going. I feel I have much more control of him with the harness.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Thanks for all of the support you guys!

I can tell you that we bought the company Wiggles Wags & Whiskers specifically because of the harness. :)

If you like the Classic Design, GEM is a great option. If you like the Freedom Style, they are available on the 2HD website.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Another reason to use a harness----when we took Cody to Boston to a neurologist for his protruding discs, the first thing she said was she would tell us to use nothing but a harness to walk him, but we were already doing that. She said a harness is the best thing to walk any dog both for safety and not pulling on their necks or their backs. They distribute the "pulling" more evenly I think. I first started using a harness for Cody as he was a major puller and weighed over 100 pounds. I did have to have his custom made but it was worth it. That's why I've had WWW harnesses for all our pups ever since. They wear well and I just throw them in the washer.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. We were very impressed with the WWW harness and have ordered one for both Callie and our lab Bailey from 2Hounds. Bailey is a major puller and the WWW will be a sturdy alternative to his current harness.

Guest 4dogscrazy

Very welcome for the tip, and the hounds seem to pick that one up quick since they usually looovvee their peoples and treats. That's a victoria stillwell tip, who I watch religously for inspiration lol!

Guest 2greygirls

Majestic collars makes beautiful harnesses..I use one for Bonnie for exactly the same reason, she tends to leap and spin, and act like a nut...They are made for greys,are durable, and easy to put on and take off.