Mysterious Gi Issue

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

Okay,

Our dear Lucas has had some GI issues that I am trying to figure out.

When it comes to mealtime, his appetite ranges from ravenous to "no thank you."

About a year ago, he freaked us all out by vomiting frank blood twice in the middle of the night - went to the vet and got a full workup with no significant findings. Also had paint-peeling gas. He completed 7 days of carafate and flagyl and got better.

Yesterday, he showed no interest in dinner and this morning no interest in breakfast. We heard his tummy rumbling so I gave him some pepcid. About 20 minutes later, he threw up about a cupful of pink-tinged vomit (sorry, gross). Now, the gas has begun. He ate all of his dinner like it was his last meal.

His weight has been stable, his poops unchanged. He has been on the same kibble since he came to live with us almost 2 years ago. He is a bit of a "nervous nellie" though. It is like the poor guy has an ulcer or something. Has anyone had any experience with GI issues like this? I figure I will get him to the vet this week but since he usually checks out okay, just wondered if anyone had some insight.

Thanks!

WOW. That sounds like my Beau started out. But, Beau's poop was always loose. Then it turned yucky.

After extensive testing, treatments, more testing, more treatments, we had to do open exploratory to find it was moderate IBD.

You may want to try and limit his diet to see if he is allergic to the protein and or carb in his diet. that means no commerical food as there are way too many ingredients and making his food, one ingredient at a time to determine what he can eat. This includes treats. GI issues suck and are so frustrating to get to the bottom of. I could write a book with volumes.

Hoping that Lucas just has a tummy ache from time to time. I wouldn't wish what my Beau has to endure to anyone or anything.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest LindsaySF

When I read the topic title and author I just knew it was going to be about Lucas. lol.gif His anorexic brother Teagan says hello! greenwave.gif

Honestly, I no longer worry when Teagan decides not to eat. It's just the way he is. He always makes up for it and acts ravenous at another time, he acts fine otherwise, and his weight is stable. I leave his kibble in his ex-pen when I'm not home and he always eats eventually. If Lucas is anything like Teagan in the not wanting to eat department I wouldn't worry. Check his teeth pretty good though, make sure that's not the reason he doesn't want to eat. Teagan's teeth aren't the greatest and from what I remember Lucas's aren't either.

Vomiting blood is a little more concerning. Could be something like an ulcer, or even the stomach acids irritating the stomach lining. Maybe he needs to be supplemented with an acid neutralizer for a while? Ask the vet about ulcers and how you would diagnose and treat one. My grandma had one and her symptom was rapid weight loss, not sure what the symptoms are for dogs.

When he vomited in the middle of the night had it been a while since he ate something? Teagan and Sooner both will occasionally vomit up slime or yellow "bile" when their stomachs are empty. I combat this by giving treats or some kibble before bedtime. Is there any food item that Lucas absolutely won't turn his nose up at? For Teagan it's chicken jerky (we get it at Costco). Even when he won't eat his kibble he always eats some chicken jerky. He gets some just before bed, or first thing in the morning, so his stomach always has food in it. Even when he doesn't feel like eating his kibble he still has something in his tummy, this helps prevent heartburn and tummy rumblies.

You could also deworm Lucas as a precaution. Whenever I have a dog with GI issues here the first thing I do is deworm, just in case. I like Panacur because it will get Giardia too.

One thing that helped was switching kibbles. For the first time ever Teagan will actually eat dry kibble as a treat, and come back for more. blink.gif He's on Taste of the Wild Wetlands. The food smells "meaty", I think he likes that. He still goes on hunger strikes every once in a while, but his appetite is the best it's ever been.

Good luck with Lucas. I hope the vet doesn't find anything wrong.

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

Guest greytkidsmom

Thanks Lindsay and Robin,

I don't really remember the circumstances about the first time he vomited blood. We did get an abdominal x-ray, bloodwork, and stool check and the only things we found was a low platelet count (normal for greys and normal for bleeding) and mild enlargement of the cecum. This time was after he had refused most of dinner and all of breakfast which is why I agree that it might be a stomach acid thing. The first time we thought he may have eaten an acorn or something out of the yard but right now all there is in the yard is snow.

Protein-wise he is on the same food we started him on (Nutro Ultra) which is very similar in ingredients to the food you guys had him on and I think you tried most everything with him. We did find that he was very itchy after giving him some pills in cheese so we don't give him milk products anymore. Treats are the same - a greenie every once in a while and grain/dairy-free treats. He loves loves loves turkey so if he goes more than 2 meals without eating, that is our standby.

His teeth aren't too bad - he will probably need a cleaning soon but he does let us brush them and there don't seem to be any localized tender spots. I wonder if they do EGDs on dogs and if they could just look down there next time he gets his dental.

I am not saying it is a food allergy, but just so you know, they can develop allergies to foods they have been eating all their lives.

The very food that my Beau had been eating, chicken, beef, etc. is now the foods that could kill him. Food intolerances are a bitch to work with.

Hoping it's a simple solution.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

He might do better with an acid reducer given regularly to proactively keep on top of the upset tummy problem.

My Cash was a *very* picky breakfast eater at the best of times. We had to put her on famotidine for a time due to antibiotics and - low and behold! - she began eating breakfast regularly and with her usual dinner enthusiasm. Now she gets a famotidine every morning an hour before breakfast and it's really improved her eating habits in the morning.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest 4rooers

Hi Laura,

If you want to try some GI encaps for Lucas, I just placed an order. Ozzie started them with a tummy upset from NSAIDs and Rourke takes them to slow down mucous production in GI tract. They have slippery elm, marshmallow root, licorice root and plantain. Acupucturist recommended them and they have worked greyt for us. Call or email(kimlpta@yahoo.com) and I'll get some to you to try.

Kim

Edited by 4rooers

Not saying it's the same thing, but:

The first 6 months I had Batman, he vomited yellow slime nearly every morning and sometimes in the afternoon, too. Did tests, found nothing. Tried snacks, different feeding schedule, meds, didn't help. Changed his food for other reasons, and it was like turning off a tap -- no more vomit. None. Evidently there was something in Nutro -- any variety -- that irritated his stomach.

YMMV and I would still want to talk to the vet about possible ulcer or esophageal irritation, but I'd also change his food.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.