Hank Has Pannus!

Guest TankDiveGirl

Guest TankDiveGirl

My beautiful boy was diagnosed with pannus this afternoon... i had suspected he'd had it for a long time, but he hadn't ever had a flare long enough or severe enough to take him to the vet, because by the time we could get an appointment, his eyes would be back to what's normal for him. This week though, both eyes flared very badly, and he's been rubbing at them, so today we went in. Our regular vet was closed because of the weather (we're north of Dallas and got a foot of snow yesterday), so we went to a different vet, who was really nice and didn't expect me to know what it was.

So he's on prednisolone eye drops 4x daily and they want to re-check him in 2 weeks. After that we'll go back to our regular vet i think, and I'm going to see if i can't get the drops online. I'm also going to see if i can't find some doggles for him to wear, because it's really bright here in the summertime.

So, it's kindof nice to be sure of what's going on, and know that we can control it, but it makes me feel a little like a bad mom for not being more aggressive about getting the vets to see it sooner.

We'll see how he does on the drops, and hopefully he'll do well enough to just be on those.

*hugs*

Jamie

Guest Energy11

The drops will help control the Pannus. You can also have your vet add Optimmune ointment (expensive), but works. Yes, being in the sun isn't good for this disease. I, personally, think a lot of the retired racers have it from where they lived (southern states). As long as you use the drops, and maybe get the ointment, you should be fine. Love, hugs and good luck!

No advice here as we have only dealt with the glaucoma (hate that disease). I hope you are able to manage this well with Hank.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sadie was diagnosed in November. She had a flare up in her right eye and almost overnight the majority of her eye was covered in a whitish film. She was on ointment three times a day and we switched to the drops about a month later.

We get the drops at a compounding pharmacy in Phoenix. They fedex them to us for $5.00. We pay $48 for a bottle that lasts about three months. It's certainly worth looking into compounding pharmacies. They have saved us LOTS of money.

We haven't changed anything about our lifestyle with Sadie. She still goes on short walks during the day, we still have the dog door, and their regular walk is at night. She doesn't wear doggles and her pannus is completely controlled with one drop a day in each eye. :) The vets told me that they suggest limiting 'sun' time, but that they know the impracticality of that prevents most of us from really being able to.

Guest GentleHugs

My little LuLu was diagnosed with Pannus 2 years ago this month. She gets the pred drops. We started out with 2 drops per eye twice a day but everytime we started to decrease them, her pannus would flare. Now, for the last 6 months or so, she gets 1 drop per eye twice a day. She's doing fine. She's got Doggles to wear with the interchangable lenses (3 sets of lenses - clear, pink and smoke) depending on "her mood".

I get her eye drops from 1 800 petmeds. I never had a problem with them and they even price check, too. If you find it online (same manufacturer brand and same size of bottle) they will price check it to the cheaper amount you found online. I had to order her eye drops a couple of months ago and did a price check. I got her bottle of pred drops made by Falcon, 15ml bottle for under $20 with free shipping because that's what the other company online had it for. Your vet will have to call in the prescription though. I switched from buying it through my vet ($32 per bottle) to 1800petmeds because of price. He clearly understood and he's always for saving his clients money if he can.

If I forget to give LuLu her eye drops, she comes to me and lets me know she needs her eye drops. She's pretty good about that.

Just keep on top of making sure he gets his drops daily and check his eyes often by shining a flashlight by his eyes. You can see the "film" over his eyes if the light is just right. If it looks like its getting worse or his eyes are continually red (like he's tied one on the night before), have the vet check it again.

LuLu is a very active high energy hound and her pannus does NOT hold her back at all. He should be fine but keep up on the drops.

Alan had pannus for years - he had been given a few different types of drops but ended with with prednisolone sodium acetate, once a day, and it controlled his pannus. He refused to wear his doggles.

Guest tampagreymom

Sorry to hear about Hank. My Jade has Pannus and it is managable as long as you keep up with the drops. Jade gets Prednisolone and Cyclosporin alternating every day. I just recently found a compounding pharmacy in North Caroline which is very reaonable with prices and shipping costs. I highly recoommend taking Hank to a Veterinary Opthalmologist in your area. They are best equipped to treat and manage the Pannus. Here in Florida it is difficult to avoid the sunlight but I have also been told to limit walks when it is windy so no dirt can enter her eyes. She hates the doggles . As others have been saying, keeping up with the drops is very important.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vtgreys

I just got back from the Opthalmologist with my new girl Tessa, she has Pannus also - we noticed something wasn't right with her eyes on Saturday, so made the appointment right away. She got a steroid injection in her eyes, and we picked up drops from a compounding pharmacy that she'll take twice a day. The vet says it's very controllable with the drops and once she's on them for a while we can probably go down to once a day. She'll have to have a recheck in 6-8 weeks. While it's never fun to have anything wrong with our pups, I'm glad it's something that's easily manageable. She tried on a couple of different size doggles at the vet, but none were quite the right fit. Anyone have a source/advice for doggles made for greyhound heads?

Sadie was diagnosed in November. She had a flare up in her right eye and almost overnight the majority of her eye was covered in a whitish film. She was on ointment three times a day and we switched to the drops about a month later.

We get the drops at a compounding pharmacy in Phoenix. They fedex them to us for $5.00. We pay $48 for a bottle that lasts about three months. It's certainly worth looking into compounding pharmacies. They have saved us LOTS of money.

We haven't changed anything about our lifestyle with Sadie. She still goes on short walks during the day, we still have the dog door, and their regular walk is at night. She doesn't wear doggles and her pannus is completely controlled with one drop a day in each eye. :) toThe vets told me that they suggest limiting 'sun' time, but that they know the impracticality of that prevents most of us from really being able .

Must be getting Tacro from Roadrunner. Thats who we use for Gustopher P. We've learned to limit playtime in the middle of the day and Gus has extended playtime in the late afternoon and evening. As a Pimp he is a creature of the night anyway. Thats when all the scary bugs, leaves, opposums, terrorists and things that go bump in the night come out anyway.Always has been his favorite time of day for patrolling his area of operation.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I had a foster that has Pannus, she went from 2x daily drops & the ointment, to 1 time a week for both. This took about 1 year or so to progress to this level of control. She is an otherwise healthy sweet playful girl.

Chad

Guest TankDiveGirl

We had our two week follow up today, and his eyes are much improved. We're going down to 3x daily on the eyedrops with a recheck in a month. I think we'll go back to our regular vet at that time just to keep the rest of his care consistent, and also because i just love our regular vet and think that the care hank gets there is superior.

We're going to measure him this week for the doggles and get them ordered. Fortunately we've had a lot of cloudy weather lately and he hasn't had to go outside in the sun for several weeks, and I think that helps.

Thanks for the support!

Jamie

Glad to hear his eyes seem better! :) Our boy came to us with Pannus, which wasn't being controlled by eye drops. We moved him to optimmune (the ointment) and my vet was extremely pleased with the improvement that occurred in such a short time. He gets 'the goop' as we call it in his eyes twice a day and is doing great. I have noticed that he has lost some night vision and that he doesn't like to walk into the sun but, other than that, he doesn't seem to suffer from it.