Fletcher And Mom Survived

Fletcher's home, and he's fine. Only lost the one tooth that was abcessed, the rest look good. She also xrayed his shoulders while he was under, he has some pretty nasty arthritis, we'll jus have to keep an eye on it.

They did say, because of his size, not to let him eat or drink tonight. I was only going to offer him a little food anyway, but I've never heard about the no drinking. He, of course, immediately ran over to the water bowl when we got home :rolleyes: The thing is, he's pretty high strung, and this all has him panting a lot, which makes him thirsty. I'm thinking about just pouring a couple of inches in the bowl and letting him have that, every few hours. They said he could have ice chips, would this be about the same?

Anyway, he's home, and I thank everyone that helped me worry today :)

I don't understand the no drinking thing or how it relates to his size. I would never let one of my dogs go w/o water though. I would have to call the vet and ask what specifically it is about drinking water that could be an issue. Is it that they don't want him to load up on water and puke? Is it something in the motion of lapping water that could cause stress to the area of the abcessed tooth. Or something else?

When I had a dog that could not drink water normally (due to an emergency tracheotomy) I used a turkey baster to inject small amounts of water into his mouth enough to keep him hydrated while he recovered.

They don't want him to overdo it and puke.

I would measure out a cup to give him @ every 45 minutes - 1 hour, ice chips in between. Assuming they gave him fluids while he was out?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes, they don't want him to puke. They said he shouldn't be thirsty because he was on fluids the whole time, so he's well hydrated, but I know that well hydrated doesn't mean he won't be thirsty.

He's settled down now that we are home, so that should help.

When I got home with Jacey, I gave her a small amount of water and a small amount of food. Then I sat down on the sofa, encouraged her to get up and lie down, and she went right to sleep. She slept soundly for about 5 hours. Then she got some more water and another small bit of food just before bed. Then we were back to normal the next day.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)