Does This Need Stitches?

Guest Fasave

All I want is one month without a visit to the vet :lol But, Thunder started licking his foot on Sunday and I found what appears to be a puncture wound in the webbing between his toes. It's a little red but I think that's mostly from his licking and the fact he's a white pup so you can see the skin tone better. I don't see any swelling, puss or blood. I soak it in a betadyne solution a few times a day generally after he's been outside. Aside from a little licking, he's not bothered by it. I just can't imagine how this is going to heal. Thoughts?

feb2010035.jpg?t=1265734233

Just my opinion but I wouldn't. I would just wash it twice a day and probably put some triple antibiotic ointment on it. Basically just watch it and keep it clean. It is a small wound and should be ok to heal on it's own. However, it is your dog and I am only judging based on one photo. :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest greysonly

Marley has had the same kind of puncture wound. His was a little deeper tho. I got him stitches but he ended up pulling them out. I had a sock on it and everything :rolleyes: But it healed just fine. So I think what you are doing is good. I too would put antibiotic ointment. I would put a sock on it and when he went outside I would put a little plastic grocery bag around it just to keep it clean. :)

edited because I wanted to say I put a sock on it and over the sock I would put a plastic grocery bag when he went out.

Edited by greysonly

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Streamer and Cabby have both had this exact wound. I think it is from running their foot into a stick out in the yard. I did a lot of rinsing with water the first few days plus ointment but eventually it needs to dry out so after a few days of flushing it and putting on ointment I would just wrap it loosely in gauze and put a sock over it and make sure it stays dry and clean. Be carefull when you inspect the foot so that you do not open the wound back up once it has kinda glued itself closed. If you can keep the hound calm for a week or so that will speed healing as well. But no, no stitches needed unless he bothers it enough to make it open further.

Guest fastdogs

Make a paste of Milk of Magnesia and corn stark and smear it in there. If you can keep T from licking it for a few days, it will heal quite nicely. Bo had a lump removed from his hock and licked it constantly. I finally gave it a pasting and wrap it for a couple of days. Healed very quickly.

Opie had a wound in the same spot - but it was punctured all the way through! It was a freak accident, when a harbinger (sp?) clip from another dog's collar that he was playing with got caught on his foot and it punctured it. I washed it very good, used peroxide to clean, then used EMT gel (a miracle ointment IMHO) and a baby sock on his foot to keep him from licking. He was good as new in about a week! I couldn't believe how fast it healed. So no, I don't think it needs stitches at all.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest Energy11

I wouldn't stitch it. I'd just clean it good, put some antibiotic ointment on it, and keep a toddler sock on it. Just watch for pus, oozing, swelling, redness, etc., but I think it should be fine. If you DO see signs of infection, you can maybe call the vet and get him/her to prescribe some oral antibiotics, like Keflex. Good Luck!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

If that was on my dog:

I would not stitch it.

I would clean it well, possibly with listerine. Not peroxide, except maybe within minutes of the injury occurring. I would get some Keflex (Cephalexin) to have on hand For example this.

I would discourage licking, but also try to let it stay dry and clean as much as possible.

That is just what *I* would do :)

Epson salt in hot water soaks can also keep things clean, and can relieve swelling and pain. I wouldn't stitch at this point, and I would imagine most vets would say it's been too long.

If he won't leave the sock on, secure the top with vet wrap--make sure it's not too tight.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest jettcricket

I wouldn't either. My little man, Duffy, had split his webbing back in December on some ice. We just kept it clean and wrapped and it healed very nicely.

Nope, definitely not. Just keep it clean and disinfected and it'll heal in no time.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest KennelMom

Nope. No stitches. Keep it clean and dry and that's it. Water therapy a couple times a day might be a good idea that will help keep debris out of it. Should heal fine, but watch for infection. You should not need any antibiotics unless your dog is immunosuppressed for some reason. Dogs have pretty good natural immune systems. I'd let the dog lick, if they were inclined but not obsess on it. Most likely they won't, but if he does a light baby sock should do nicely. You don't want to create too much of a warm, dark place if you an avoid it.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

What you have there is what we call at the tracks as

"a spike"

Meaning one dogs nails stepped on the other dog and punctured the webbing.

Kennel protocall is we just flush with a dilute of betadine/water once or twice a day.

That's pretty much it. No stitching, no wrap, no creams or salves

**Slightly OT** & directed @fastdogs:

curious about the MOM paste....I work in health care but have never heard about this one. Would you enlighten me? I love new stuff!

From a human nursing standpoint, his wound looks really good. I agree with just keeping it clean, dry and do your best to keep it non-infected. I have nothing new to add that others haven't already recommended. :)

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Thanks everyone!!! I'm with this guy pretty much 24/7 and can't believe that I didn't at some point hear the GSD. Glad to hear that people are thinking it's looking okay at the moment and will heal in time. We're about to get a fair amount of snow here and seeing that Thunder won't poop in the yard the needs to be walked, I'll keep it covered to protect it from the road salt as well. Thanks again all!

Guest TheDoggfather

Just my opinion but I wouldn't. I would just wash it twice a day and probably put some triple antibiotic ointment on it. Basically just watch it and keep it clean. It is a small wound and should be ok to heal on it's own. However, it is your dog and I am only judging based on one photo. smile.gif

This.

Guest fastdogs

**Slightly OT** & directed @fastdogs:

curious about the MOM paste....I work in health care but have never heard about this one. Would you enlighten me? I love new stuff!

From a human nursing standpoint, his wound looks really good. I agree with just keeping it clean, dry and do your best to keep it non-infected. I have nothing new to add that others haven't already recommended. :)

The MOM paste came from CG Magazine. I think it may have been the Summer 2009 issue.

Anecdotally, I heard stories of it being used on humans for sores/wounds that are difficult to heal.

As I indicated, my guy had a lump removed from his hock that had a really difficult time healing. There wasn't much skin to use to close the wound, plus he licked it incessantly. Wrapping it only made he work on it more. Finally, I used MOM w/ some corn stark to make a paste, applied it and wrapped it one more time. The wrap lasted two days, but by then there was significant improvement. Within a week, it was healed enough that he left it alone. As of yesterday, it was just a little bald spot on his leg.