Potty At First Vs Later On

Guest greynewb

Guest greynewb

Hello I am new to the world of greyhounds and I have been reading a number of threads on the forums and one topic has gotten me some what concerned. The frequency of taking greyhound out to go potty. I realize that at first I will have to take my grey out many times per day, even once every couple hours untill he or she calms down and gets into a schedule. But is there ever a point where I can go to work all day ( 8 hours, 8-4) and not have to worry about an accident or have to crate forever. I ask this because it seems that a number of grey owners take their dogs out 4,5,6 times or more even a year later.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My hounds are typically left for 4-6 hours without issue. once a week maybe 8 hours. I have on a few occasions actually had problems where they were alone for 10 hours. No problems. Dont look at this board and think that every greyhound has these issues, the reason people post here is because they have a specific problem. It takes these hounds a little while to get used to "your" schedule. They are used to being let out 4 times a day, they can get used to 3 times a day, but it does take a little while.

Chad

I would say that at a minimum they should go out at least 5 times to start. As was said in another thread you want to bookend their meals with potty breaks. This would give you 4 times and then the last one would be right before retiring to bed. You could possibly reduce it to 4 times later by waiting to do the after dinner potty break as the one just before bed. Nadir was a little tougher to housebreak because of marking issues, but Beanie and all the fosters I have had were housebroken within a week, usually less than 3 days and that is with me working full time.

Guest pennmorgan

Depends on the dog, I assume. Honestly, I think the dog will adapt to whatever schedule you establish. Olivia goes out three times a day and has since about her third day here. She goes at 7-8 am, 2-4 pm, and 9-10 pm. She has never once had an accident in the house due to having to go. Also, we have left her during the day from 8-6 before and had no problems, though we don't do that all the time.

I personally think all dogs should go out a bare minimum of 4 times a day--

And YES, you can work all day and your dog can hold it! MOST adult dogs can easily hold it for 8-10 hours (just ask your vet about that).

I myself work a normal Mon-Fri, "9-5" job (actually 7-3:30!), live alone, and do not have a yard, and cannot afford a dog walker ($16 per visit in this area).

My last dog was just fine on this schedule for the 15 years I had him, and George, after an adjustment period and a very unfortunate and strange infection, had been doing great for 2 years now!

I made sure George gets his 4 "tinkle breaks" and one long walk EVERY DAY--rain or shine, wind, cold, snow. No excuses, no slacking. He deserves that for being a good boy for me and patiently waiting for me to come home!

He does have company; his kitties!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest oldNELLIE

My husband and I also both work normal days and Nellie is fine. She has never had an accident in the house as a result of us not taking her out. We work form 9-5 plus commute time.

I agree with GeorgeofNE above, though in the sense that Nellie's walks are very important. It is all she really gets to do in a day! We walk her for 20-30 min before work (both to tire her out and to give her lots of chances to "empty the tank" before her long day alone) and we walk her again after work for at least 20 min. Longer in the nicer weather (the below 0 temps we have been having make it seem more like a punishment than a reward :rolleyes: ). Otherwise she is in and out for quick pees at about 8pm and then again at 11 or so before bed.

I live in a condo and take my dogs out 5 times a day. They get 4 short walk (10-15 minutes)pretty much every 6 hours to relieve themselves and one long walk in the afternoon(1+hour). That being said both could probably make it 8 hours or more but I got in a habit because my previous dog had kidney issues and couldn't hold it more then 6 hours. I continued because it works for us, and I feel better knowing they aren't straining to hold it. In my opinion 3 times a day should be the bare minimum but really 4-5 is preferable.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Most healthy adult dogs can wait thru a normal workday once they're used to your schedule. Some can't and need a mid-day walk/turnout. Planning for a quick trip home at lunch or a dog walker is a good idea for the first month or three.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

is there ever a point where I can go to work all day ( 8 hours, 8-4) and not have to worry about an accident or have to crate forever. I ask this because it seems that a number of grey owners take their dogs out 4,5,6 times or more even a year later.

Yes. The good thing about ex racers is that they are adult dogs and therefore physically able to hold it. Letting them out every 2 hours or so is arguably essential at first just to get them to learn where they are supposed to go. They are already crate trained, and most know that outside time = potty time. It may take a while to get them on your schedule (amount of time depends on the dog) but crating in the beginning helps a lot with that.

Mine can hold it 8 hours right now with no problems, and they have held it for much longer when I haven't been able to get home on time.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh